No longer premature Tulane baseball observations

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Extremely premature Tulane baseball observations

Post by Yankeewave »

ULL has had Some success, but I don’t remember them ever being ranked #1. They probably had to hold their noses to rank coastal carolina #1 the year they won the championship
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Yankeewave wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm ULL has had Some success, but I don’t remember them ever being ranked #1. They probably had to hold their noses to rank coastal carolina #1 the year they won the championship
ULL was 8-9 when the season was cancelled in 2020. They've had some success, to be sure, but the coach who got it for them unfortunately passed away and it remains to be seen if the new guy can keep it up. This was still a series that you need to win at home if you're a regional team. Again, it's early though, so things can change. Mississippi State will be a much tougher test, and we've struggled with UNO lately.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Duggie35 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 am It's obviously early, and there's room for things to change, but you can't feel good about dropping 2/3 to ULL. While they're not terrible, this is a team you should win the series from at home. We looked tight and grossly ineffective (other than the endgame on Friday) in crunch time.

I hope it improves; we should expect a regional at this stage, and Jewett should be held accountable if it doesn't happen. Time will tell.
Many here are disappointed for not taking the series from the Cajuns and seem to think beating UL should be a given. These are two very evenly matched teams that fought all weekend. If Tulane made a few more plays, they could have won, and possibly even swept the series. On the other hand, if the Cajuns make another play or two Friday night, they sweep the series. Tulane has a storied program that was nationally ranked during the Rick Jones era, but UL has also been prominent on a national level. As recently as 2014, the Cajuns were ranked #1 in the country heading into the NCAA tournament and rated as the #6 overall national seed, missing the CWS by a single game. Let's face it, loosing to the Cajuns is not a disgrace, as they have won 8 of the last 13 games played between the two teams. These were good RPI games for both teams.
Losing a series at home is very rarely good for the RPI.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm ULL has had Some success, but I don’t remember them ever being ranked #1. They probably had to hold their noses to rank coastal carolina #1 the year they won the championship
ULL was 8-9 when the season was cancelled in 2020. They've had some success, to be sure, but the coach who got it for them unfortunately passed away and it remains to be seen if the new guy can keep it up. This was still a series that you need to win at home if you're a regional team. Again, it's early though, so things can change. Mississippi State will be a much tougher test, and we've struggled with UNO lately.
Deggs will do well IMO. I wish we had him
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I was at the Friday and Sunday games and watched the Saturday game on television. I thought the Saturday starting pitcher Benoit got squeezed repeatedly by the HP ump (Gregson?). I thought he pitched well, but the umpire took him out of the game. I am worried about the defense, especially catching. Will we ever throw out a runner. I did not look at the numbers, but I thought we struck out way too much. I am not encouraged, but it is early.
Duggie35
Junior

Post by Duggie35 »

The Cajuns were ranked #1 during the 2014 season finishing with a 58-10 record and one game away from Omaha.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

One thing about ULL that gave them an edge is they (according to Allegretta) have 2 true freshmen on their entire roster and had the top (or one of the top) JuCo classes in the country.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

La Tech looks like they can rake; meanwhile Guerry Smith reports the injured Frankie Niemann is on the mend and near a return to the Tulane lineup.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

JUCO product Tyler Hoffman taking the mound vs. UNO for the Wave.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

We sure hope Frankie Goes To Hollygrove a lot this year!
Duggie35
Junior

Post by Duggie35 »

waverider wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 pm One thing about ULL that gave them an edge is they (according to Allegretta) have 2 true freshmen on their entire roster and had the top (or one of the top) JuCo classes in the country.
The JUCO class he was talking about is rated the #3 JUCO class ion the country. But that will be the class coming in next year (2022), not the class there now!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Duggie35 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 am
waverider wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 pm One thing about ULL that gave them an edge is they (according to Allegretta) have 2 true freshmen on their entire roster and had the top (or one of the top) JuCo classes in the country.
The JUCO class he was talking about is rated the #3 JUCO class ion the country. But that will be the class coming in next year (2022), not the class there now!
Thanks for clarifying. I originally thought it was next year’s class but then he said something that made me think it was the current class there now.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Ranked duke playing ranked ecu right now on espn plus
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Niemann is in the lineup tonight vs UNO at DH for the Wave
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Ecu won
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Tulane won 7–1 btw. Miss state plays today so lets hope its a 16 inning game. Ucf is off to a bad start
Duggie35
Junior

Post by Duggie35 »

Duggie35 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:44 pm
Ending the regular season as the unanimous #1 team in the country across every college baseball poll, the 2014 Ragin' Cajun baseball team won a record 58 games and finishing only one game away from Omaha.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 am Tulane won 7–1 btw. Miss state plays today so lets hope its a 16 inning game. Ucf is off to a bad start
MSU had a good first weekend, beating Texas, losing narrowly to ranked TCU and beating ranked Texas Tech. JSU is unlikely to present any problems, but hopefully they play a long pitcher's duel.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:50 pm Now we are barely making bowls in football, scuffling still in basketball, and meh at best in the one thing we used to be able to count on.

It's regional or bust Jewett. Get it done or take a hike.
I'll take barely getting bowls over what we had prior to Fritz.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Ucf has #1 ole miss today
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

#1 Pitching Staff is not as deep as we thought, no closer. #2 hitting might be a little better than we thought . #3 Coaching still has No Clue .
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

Scouting report: “Be patient, never press, hang around, and we we will win in the 8th, 9th or extra innings.”

Opponents will be confident and loose.
We will be waiting for next bomb to go off.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

No longer premature ex Tulane baseball observations

Post by TUPF »

Tulane has played over 29% of its scheduled 51 game season and we have a good idea of what we have. We are outstandingly average, a 0.500 team. At 8-7 with 31 regular season games left we are looking at 24 wins or so at season end. In a normal 56 win season, 40 wins which is the usual standard to enter postseason equates to around 36 wins this year. Tulane would have to go 28-3 over its remaining 31 games to reach 36 wins. Not going to happen.

This is why the enthusiasm has gone out of the board and the season. Losing those two close series early on during the last at-bats could have supercharged play since then but it hasn't. If anything it shows those early season losses to ULL and MSU were probably our upside.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: No longer premature ex Tulane baseball observations

Post by visualmagic »

TUPF wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:16 pm Tulane has played over 29% of its scheduled 51 game season and we have a good idea of what we have. We are outstandingly average, a 0.500 team. At 8-7 with 31 regular season games left we are looking at 24 wins or so at season end. In a normal 56 win season, 40 wins which is the usual standard to enter postseason equates to around 36 wins this year. Tulane would have to go 28-3 over its remaining 31 games to reach 36 wins. Not going to happen.

This is why the enthusiasm has gone out of the board and the season. Losing those two close series early on during the last at-bats could have supercharged play since then but it hasn't. If anything it shows those early season losses to ULL and MSU were probably our upside.
It’s a 56 game schedule, we have 41 games remaining
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: No longer premature Tulane baseball observations

Post by TUPF »

Sorry, I miscounted using the schedule remaining in the masseyrarings.com site. So given 41 games left, I think we are looking at 29 wins total which won't cut it. We'd have to win 67-78% of our remaining games to be in the postseason conversation. Nothing we have seen to date gives me any confidence.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium