2021 Football Schedule

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 2021 Football Schedule

Post by PeteRasche »

purplehaz3 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 pm We could very easily win 8 games. Many of you seem to have forgotten that the only reason we lost that game at Auburn a couple of years ago was a lack of offensive production.
If we had our defense of two years ago this coming year we might feel more like you. Heck, if we had our defense from two years ago this past year, we probably go 9-2 or better.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Ole miss ran all over bama. Not sure what they bring back but seems like a bad time to lose most of your D line
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yankeewave wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm Ole miss ran all over bama. Not sure what they bring back but seems like a bad time to lose most of your D line
According to Bill C, they are bringing back 78% of their offensive production from last year. Overall they bring back 71% of all their production, offense and defense. So I'd expect them to be very dangerous on offense. Our best hope in that game will be to sustain some long drives that end in seven points, shortening the game and keeping their offense off the field. Field goals ain't gonna cut it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:20 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm Ole miss ran all over bama. Not sure what they bring back but seems like a bad time to lose most of your D line
According to Bill C, they are bringing back 78% of their offensive production from last year. Overall they bring back 71% of all their production, offense and defense. So I'd expect them to be very dangerous on offense. Our best hope in that game will be to sustain some long drives that end in seven points, shortening the game and keeping their offense off the field. Field goals ain't gonna cut it.
This is a bad theory. As many have said over the years TOP is overrated. We are modernizing our offense. We are trying to be like others and speed things up and score quickly. If you try and change that out of fear of the opponent you get away from all that you practiced all off season and during camp. More importantly you're now trying to score off of long drives which makes you more susceptible to turnovers. And TOP isn't important to an offense like Ole Miss. They score quickly. We need our offense to step up and score more. Our D will have to also step up which is why we changed coordinators. Play our game and be better at it than they are at theirs.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

So win a shootout against a team that was 14th ranked in points per game last year and is projected to be very good again this year. I don't care how modern and fast we think the offense will be, I don't like those odds. If we were Oklahoma, maybe, but we aren't.

I don't think the offense should be all gas no breaks anyway. The best teams have the ability to go fast and then sit on the game when they need to. I'd like to think we are moving towards being able to do a bit of both.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Yours is a typical fan response in these situations. it leads to a complete blowout and gives us no chance.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Last we checked, fans don't strap up and play.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Thank God.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am Let's move on to why we'd still be speaking French if Napoleon had a B52 at Waterloo.
We wouldn't be speaking French. Napoleon had no airfields, no fuel, and no trained pilots for that B52. And he had already sold Louisiana 12 years before Waterloo.

Anyway, the OU game will be on TV. We will watch. It will be my birthday. I expect a present, Willie Fritz. :)
It's my anniversary, so that would make things great for us too!
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Sophandros wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 pm
Wandering Quaker wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am Let's move on to why we'd still be speaking French if Napoleon had a B52 at Waterloo.
We wouldn't be speaking French. Napoleon had no airfields, no fuel, and no trained pilots for that B52. And he had already sold Louisiana 12 years before Waterloo.

Anyway, the OU game will be on TV. We will watch. It will be my birthday. I expect a present, Willie Fritz. :)
It's my anniversary, so that would make things great for us too!
Congrats on anniversary.

Meanwhile for those who've never seen the Dan Ackroyd SNL sketch about Napoleon and B52's, try "If Eleanor Roosevelt Could Fly." Both available out there in streaming land. We are only being realistic around here after all.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Army v OU a couple of years ago was awful close. Army, terribly out talented, had every chance to win by shortening the game and limiting possessions. Did the same thing to Michigan in the same time span.

OU and LSU played in the playoff two years ago. I'm sure OU felt their best path to winning was a shootout. They got blown out anyway.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. But go right on thinking in certainties.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Army ran their standard offense. They didn't change for Oklahoma.

OU got blown out by what many say was the best team in the history of college football. Had they tried to just run clock they would have been beaten even worse.

Well you posted with certainty that UCF's hire was not going to work out. Nice job of hypocrisy.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

A lot, perhaps all are missing the point that Malzahn's offense is not the type of offense that has been our Achilles heel during fritz tenure. They are going to chnage to more of a run spread system. We have played run spread systems much better on the road and at home for that matter. Malzahn will be no pushover, but expect them to look more like Cincinnati on offense and not the pass happy UCF offesnse of the last 5 years(3 in particular).

What this means for us is UCF just got more manageable.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

wavedom wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:48 pmThank God.
I will say this: If I'm given the option of playing a man down or having to have you on my team then I'm going with playing shorthanded.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Sophandros wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 pm
I will say this: If I'm given the option of playing a man down or having to have you on my team then I'm going with playing shorthanded.
You're not good enough to be on my team.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

wavedom wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 pm
Sophandros wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 pm
You're not good enough to be on my team.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I bet you really believe that, too. You're pathetic.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

You’re looking in the mirror.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

No, he is looking at Mr. Optimistic.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

He needs to stop looking in my window.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

I thought you were making valid points for a fan forum. Discussing alternative views of how our offense might best play against OU. Just want to encourage you away from the personal attacks on our own fanbase.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Encourage the one who started it. BTW, when are you ever going to offer something of substance on Tulane athletics?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Next comment: "I know you are but what am I?"
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I'm rubber, you're glue