Southeastern LA game

Join other Green Wave fans to follow the games together in attom's Living Room and to report game scores. BYOB
(Use this forum for in-game updates and scores for ALL games for ALL teams, not just Tulane)
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Re: Southeastern LA game

Post by Radio Wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:19 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:18 pm We have what? 2 regionals in the last 10 years?
Yep, both under pierce. God I hate Texas for taking him. I know I was pro Jewett early and even defended him relative to Pierce. But fellas, I was wrong wrong wrong.
I’m excited about football! Looking forward to spring practice.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:24 pm Ill stay to vent my rage
Thats what is keeping me here!
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

noladave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:23 pm 18 people browsing the forum, most of them anonymous. what’s the over/under on how long everyone stays?
At least 3 of those are bots/search engines. (But you know that.)
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Who would have thought SLU pitching was better than MSU.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

This is an embarrassing offensive performance. K after k after hitting well against Miss St.

August is a long way away
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Slagel takes the hill.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:18 pm We have what? 2 regionals in the last 10 years?
Yep, both under pierce. God I hate Texas for taking him. I know I was pro Jewett early and even defended him relative to Pierce. But fellas, I was wrong wrong wrong.
Big of you to admit. I know some that never would.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Unless scholarship rules change I think this is what to expect regardless of who the coach is. Hard to tell a top rated kid to pay $60k a year to play baseball. When Jones was here we had loose transfer rules and the sec wasn’t putting as much of an emphasis on baseball like they do now.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 pm
Just wish I wasn't so slow to the party. And though I can't remember specifics I feel sure I clashed with you on it. You were definitely right
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

I like to at least be on the bubble...
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

I mean, he came from an expensive, private school with high academics that is really good. He seemed great
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

His inability to recruit pitchers has been his biggest shortfall.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:31 pm
Unless scholarship rules change I think this is what to expect regardless of who the coach is. Hard to tell a top rated kid to pay $60k a year to play baseball. When Jones was here we had loose transfer rules and the sec wasn’t putting as much of an emphasis on baseball like they do now.
Didn't the rules change this year? Or for the upcoming year? Seems like I remember seeing where academic money could now be stacked.

At any rate I don't even care about getting back to 2005 any more. I just want to be able to expect a regional every couple of years or so. Hard to even think of the highest level when you aren't even in the hunt for entrance to the game.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:31 pm
Freaking transfer rule killed us
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:32 pm
Just wish I wasn't so slow to the party. And though I can't remember specifics I feel sure I clashed with you on it. You were definitely right
I was trying to change my mind on Jewett with the 15-2 start last year but it doesn’t look like it was sustainable
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

i think we all hate texas for taking him, but somebody was going to take him..

just throwing things out there. I wonder how losing Izzio changed things. he was here just one year.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:33 pm I mean, he came from an expensive, private school with high academics that is really good. He seemed great
He had advantages at Vandy he doesn’t have here and is unable to adjust to get around them.
Tulane Greenbackers

TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:32 pm I like to at least be on the bubble...
Not gonna happen. They are going to have to win the conference tournament. I would imagine if this team doesn't make the tournament, this will be the head coach's last year. And it should be.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Didnt a scholly rule just change? I remember BA saying it would help schools like tulane
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Just so long as the ball doesn't bounce, the umpire is still calling it a strike. The last two strikes he called were about an inch above the plate.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:39 pm Didnt a scholly rule just change? I remember BA saying it would help schools like tulane
From what I understand there hasn’t been much academic money allocated to baseball
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:33 pm I mean, he came from an expensive, private school with high academics that is really good. He seemed great
He had advantages at Vandy he doesn’t have here and is unable to adjust to get around them.
Pierce was the right kind of hire. Hire a winner, somebody with experience who has been to regionals regularly. Winning at a smaller program with fewer resources is more analogous to winning at Tulane than Vandy or similar experience.

Losing Pierce to Texas stings because he was like their 8th choice. We only had him 2 years and I think it seemed like we'd get to keep him at least another year or two.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TulaneTiger wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:32 pm I like to at least be on the bubble...
Not gonna happen. They are going to have to win the conference tournament. I would imagine if this team doesn't make the tournament, this will be the head coach's last year. And it should be.
It’s going to take a big money donor or two to make that happen. Between Covid and Dannen not really focused on baseball I think anything short of a total collapse may keep him around another year.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:40 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:39 pm Didnt a scholly rule just change? I remember BA saying it would help schools like tulane
From what I understand there hasn’t been much academic money allocated to baseball
That needs to change. TD hasn't seemed like a big baseball proponent. This is a chance to noticeably improve things by getting that shifted. We are talking about a few kids each year. Shouldn't be a heavy lift
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 pm
TulaneTiger wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm
It’s going to take a big money donor or two to make that happen. Between Covid and Dannen not really focused on baseball I think anything short of a total collapse may keep him around another year.
Any idea what his contract looks like? He would be getting close to the end of the original deal unless he was extended last year