Spring Football

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Re: Spring Football

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:24 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:02 pmSpears is limited, but should be full go by August.
Modern medicine is amazing. 15-20 years ago he'd probably still have it immobilized... and he's already in limited practice? Wow. Sure would be great to have him full speed, hopefully he doesn't have any mental blocks as many guys do after that.
I don't think Spears is doing anything. Listening to all broadcasts and Fritz didn't actually say Spears was doing anything, other than working at getting ready for Fall.

(on edit: I read down further and see matter already resolved. Yes, it's amazing how modern med speeds up recovery period. I doubt he'll be touched by anyone till August. Fritz did say he's slowing everyone down. Hard season, bowl game, letting them recovery while practicing.)
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:24 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:02 pmSpears is limited, but should be full go by August.
Modern medicine is amazing. 15-20 years ago he'd probably still have it immobilized... and he's already in limited practice? Wow. Sure would be great to have him full speed, hopefully he doesn't have any mental blocks as many guys do after that.
20 years ago I had ACL reconstruction and double meniscus repair the week before Christmas, senior year of high school. PT had me doing range of motion work within 2 weeks. Was off crutches after 6 weeks (due to non-loadbearing on menisci). Running and agility drills by March (with brace). Would have been cleared for baseball in May if half the team hadn't been booted for drinking on the bus!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Post by Radio Wave »

It might just be me but I think Booker is going to emerge this year.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Booker is definitely out there practicing. I don't know if he's a full go in pads but he was out there in shorts earlier. He could really emerge because he's the only real "super back" left with Amar'e moving on. If we want to continue to use that position it could be to his great benefit.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Just watched the press conference with Coach Hampton after Thursday’s practice and he said he and Coach McCleskey are working with the secondary and he thinks Safety will be a strong point noting that they are developing well. He said he plans on using multiple fronts and feels like the kids are buying in and are getting better. He said the focus has been heavy on the 3rd and long plays we gave up last year and how to stop that next season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Sorrel Brown has hung 'em up. Shame. With better luck he could have been a bell cow receiver.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 pm Sorrel Brown has hung 'em up. Shame. With better luck he could have been a bell cow receiver.
When I met his parents before the Memphis game last year, his dad made it sound like he had a lingering injury he never fully recovered from.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

He tore the ACL in one knee during fall camp his freshman year and tore the ACL in the other knee in his next fall camp. One of the knees continued to be problematic with almost constant swelling after a few practices. It's a shame for him and the team. I'm sure he'll stay the course and contribute in other ways and get his degree. Best of luck to him.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Was going to be a heck of a player. I mentioned this last weeks. His Dad is such a nice man. Hope the best for Sorrell.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:03 pm Was going to be a heck of a player. I mentioned this last weeks. His Dad is such a nice man. Hope the best for Sorrell.
This is where the 40 year decision they preach to recruits becomes really important. He will do well.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

purplehaz3 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 am
This is where the 40 year decision they preach to recruits becomes really important. He will do well.
Very true. But none of us ever think we are the athlete dying young.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:21 am
"The 40 year decision." Is that a reference to going to Tulane for the academics?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Private Joker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 am
"The 40 year decision." Is that a reference to going to Tulane for the academics?
Yep, part of the recruiting pitch from Tulane under Fritz and other coaches. Academics last beyond athletic career
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:07 am
Private Joker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 am
Yep, part of the recruiting pitch from Tulane under Fritz and other coaches. Academics last beyond athletic career
It's a mantra borrowed from Notre Dame who has long used that pitch.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Chris Watt, the new OL coach, was interviewed today and he looks younger than 30 years old. Admittedly, I thought it was a new player until I realized who it was :lol:

Also interviewed Colorado transfer Derrion Rakestraw. He said the one word to describe the defense was “hungry”.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I notice Sutton (McNeese State transfer WR) is out but Fritz expects him back next scrimmage. Any idea why?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Nothing fearful, according to Fritz.

Some isolated video from yesterday showed Ibieta making two nice throws on the move. One of his INTs was made on the move, too.

The bit from Fritz praising Matt Lombardi is nice to hear.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Haven’t been excited for football this early in a baseball season in quite a while. A lot of that is due to more access to updates through theFritz interviews on YouTube to keep us in tune even if we can’t go to practice*.

*I miss getting LG’s observation (along with other former active members of this forum) as it happened. :-D
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 47c83.html

Story about the new OL coach. New Joker Michael Lunz singled out by Fritz in notes.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

waverider wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm Chris Watt, the new OL coach, was interviewed today and he looks younger than 30 years old. Admittedly, I thought it was a new player until I realized who it was :lol:

Also interviewed Colorado transfer Derrion Rakestraw. He said the one word to describe the defense was “hungry”.
He is exactly 30
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

FW wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:40 am
waverider wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm Chris Watt, the new OL coach, was interviewed today and he looks younger than 30 years old. Admittedly, I thought it was a new player until I realized who it was :lol:

He is exactly 30
That’s why I used that number.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2021/3 ... adium.aspx

Spring game open to the public. April 3rd. Glad to see this.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:21 am https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2021/3 ... adium.aspx

Spring game open to the public. April 3rd. Glad to see this.
That is good to see.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 21438.html

The linked story is about Long's different approach. I know I liked hearing him talk about the limits of speeding it up on offense. We'll probably be faster but not UCF fast.