Les Miles

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Les Miles

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 am Let's be less cryptic for our out of state readers.

The booster I believe you refer to is outside of Benson perhaps the richest person in Louisiana, a big big supporter of Gov Edwards and supposedly thinking seriously of running to succeed Edwards. He also rejected Edwards trying to place him on the LSU Board. His most publicized relationship with one of the alleged perps is as a foster parent. I don't know if more focus on that will hurt his reputation. Foster parenting is a good thing. It may help him. If there is other unpublicized stuff a la Wade then, yes, this could be roughly analogous to Clements at SMU.

It may all come out anyway because national media like USA Today is all over it. Local media interest or not will not matter for advancing this story. If he runs for governor, it definitely will come out because his political opponents will dump any negative opposition research on the internet for all to see.
Outside of Benson, the richest person is on Tulane’s board*. Maybe he should enroll in lsu’s Strong Ass Offer 101 class :lol:

*He may not be #2 but top 5 at least
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 am Let's be less cryptic for our out of state readers.

Bay, I must say, that you did not achieve your goal, even for this in-state reader. :?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

GSx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Bay, I must say, that you did not achieve your goal, even for this in-state reader. :?
Thank you. My hair hurts. :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting here. I agree obliqueness can be overdone. At least all now know what the next dropping shoe might be.
waverider
Cornerstone

I would still put my money on “swept under the rug” until I see something different
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

waverider wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm I would still put my money on “swept under the rug” until I see something different
You may have just lost your money. When LSU loses support from its house eunuch, Scott Rabalais, you're seeing something different.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... c935a.html
waverider
Cornerstone

Might even be getting worse for them. Supposedly the law firm they hired to “get to the bottom of the case” by investigating Miles was actually told to make sure the truth didn’t get out.
But was LSU hiring (law firm) Taylor Porter to get to the bottom of the matter, or to help cover it up, or both?
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... mpaign=snd
Tulane Greenbackers

doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

Sure doesn't seem to be going away.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lsu-athletic ... p_deeplink
Bring home da Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

doncecco wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:07 pm Sure doesn't seem to be going away.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lsu-athletic ... p_deeplink
No, and with the latest $50million lawsuit it may be picking up steam. I’m not holding my breath that the athletic department, or specifically, football team ever receives a real punishment (reduced scholarships, temporary postseason ban). The school may have to write a few big checks though.

And some accusers may have to go into hiding :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

doncecco
President's Circle

I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when
I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone

The train is coming, LSU...

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-reeling-am ... 50095.html
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

doncecco wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:24 pm I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when
I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone

The train is coming, LSU...

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-reeling-am ... 50095.html
Don't hold your breath. This article is rife with (besides many grammatical errors) several statements which imply nothing damaging is going to come of this. For one thing, I'm guessing there are plenty of LSU fans on that state senate committee, right? And even if they settle the $50M lawsuit (which they certainly will, for much less than that sum), that's less than one year's football intake when you add TV money, game revenue, merchandise sales, etc. They'll survive it with barely a hiccup. And the beat will go on.

This sounds strange but I'm saying it generally and not completely literally: I'll believe something is going to happen to LSU when the story is mentioned on my local news during the sports segment. It hasn't come close to that level of "national scandal" yet.
doncecco
President's Circle

Pete, the one difference it appears, this time, is that some of the historic homers are calling for action - local media and even several of my LSU alum friends have said enough is enough.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

doncecco wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:04 am Pete, the one difference it appears, this time, is that some of the historic homers are calling for action - local media and even several of my LSU alum friends have said enough is enough.
My thought is just, what are they going to do? Let's be honest, the underlying hope of everyone here is that this somehow *finally* damages the LSU athletic program in a way that the NCAA is too scared to do. But the article you linked talks about lots of counselors and speakers on "awareness" coming to campus talking to various groups of people. That's probably going to be the extent of it, in terms of how this "affects" LSU athletics. It's not like they are going to shut down football or something. The NCAA isn't going to slap them with postseason bans or scholarship reductions because of it. If they lose the lawsuits, they pay a fine... a fine that is more than made up by their annual football income. I understand those closer to the situation say "this one is different" but I just don't see how it's going to be hurtful to LSU athletics in the way that everyone here wants, ya know? And if this whole thing were not about folks here hoping LSU gets smacked, it would be in the "Non-sports" section, right?
waverider
Cornerstone

I agree Pete as I have stated all along. They may pay a settlement, some low level personnel may lose jobs and some accusers may have to go into hiding, but I don’t think they will suffer much damage athletically. Besides the NCAA President being a former Chancellor at lsu, they still have a lot of connections to important and influential people in the State. They also make money for the NCAA with a nation wide fan base.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

After dropping another conference series today it seems like their baseball program is punishing themselves :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

doncecco
President's Circle

Why wouldn't they be held to the same standard as Baylor?

I know, don't need you to answer that, but if the standards of abuse and treatment of women are to be applied consistently, it should be demanded.
Bring home da Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

doncecco wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:40 am Why wouldn't they be held to the same standard as Baylor?

I know, don't need you to answer that, but if the standards of abuse and treatment of women are to be applied consistently, it should be demanded.
In my opinion, I think it’s because Baylor didn’t have the “good ole boy” connections lsu does and isn’t in the pedestal conference, the sec.

You bring up the one factor that I’ve been thinking may play into this. The fact that it’s involving misconduct towards women and they are a chatty bunch that will keep this from going away.
Tulane Greenbackers

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

waverider wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am
doncecco wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:40 am Why wouldn't they be held to the same standard as Baylor?

In my opinion, I think it’s because Baylor didn’t have the “good ole boy” connections lsu does and isn’t in the pedestal conference, the sec.

You bring up the one factor that I’ve been thinking may play into this. The fact that it’s involving misconduct towards women and they are a chatty bunch that will keep this from going away.
Ah, yes. Those darned "chatty women" who don't want to shut up about rape and sexual abuse.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Sophandros wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:44 pm

Ah, yes. Those darned "chatty women" who don't want to shut up about rape and sexual abuse.
I assumed/hoped he was joking
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:57 pm

I meant it in that unlike with some issues, women’s groups aren’t going to just sit around hoping something gets done. They will stay vocal until they get results. I’m hoping that happens here so this doesn’t go away and their athletic department faces real consequences.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm

I meant it in that unlike with some issues, women’s groups aren’t going to just sit around hoping something gets done. They will stay vocal until they get results. I’m hoping that happens here so this doesn’t go away and their athletic department faces real consequences.
What's the worst consequence you can see? Just curious. They won't do anything to directly damage sports, and money is no object to LSU... Only real "harm" it could cause would be female athletes choosing not to go there so maybe their women's sports teams struggle to recruit. But they probably aren't really concerned about that.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:13 pm Only real "harm" it could cause would be female athletes choosing not to go there so maybe their women's sports teams struggle to recruit. But they probably aren't really concerned about that.
Are you just saying that because they weren't really concerned with those athletes being assaulted in the first place?
waverider
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:13 pm
waverider wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 pm

What's the worst consequence you can see? Just curious. They won't do anything to directly damage sports, and money is no object to LSU... Only real "harm" it could cause would be female athletes choosing not to go there so maybe their women's sports teams struggle to recruit. But they probably aren't really concerned about that.
I’ve stated above what I expect the worst consequences and I think they’ve already suffered them. A settlement payment, low level jobs being loss and accusers going into hiding. I would be completely surprised if there were any real consequences to the athletic department.

If Wade’s actions weren’t enough to bring on actual consequences (at least not yet), I can’t imagine harassing some female students is going to come with any.
Tulane Greenbackers