Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Unread post by visualmagic »

TUPF wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:19 pm
visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:21 pm
NJwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm
visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am Question: do y'all really think our AD has nothing better to do than sit in his office surfing Twitter and blocking people who say mean things?

Outside of our recent Commander in Chief, probably 99% of people in higher-up public administrative roles - especially ones that have to use social media for contact to their followers - have a person or team of people running their Twitter account. Those people may have been given specific instruction to keep the account "clean", meaning anything negative or questioning of the program gets deleted/blocked - which, if the case, you can argue the pros and cons of. Obviously if you are someone who was deleted or blocked, you only see it as a con; if you see the account as an advertisement for the school and athletic program, then keeping it "positive" for potential outsiders (recruits?) would be a reason to have that done.
There Are 25 tweets from TD’s account in 2021. I don’t think it’s A Stretch at all to think he runs that account by himself but of course it’s possible that he doesn’t. I do see the pros of deleting or blocking negativity but blocking and deleting negative replies to tweets @ the AD, which are few and far between isn’t making much of a difference when I see the same accounts replying with negativity at the official Football/basketball/baseball accounts when they post a final score of a loss.

I definitely don’t see any pros of blocking GSx for asking "why in the world are we scheduling ULL."
While he shouldn't have blocked GSX, any answer he gave would have been bs. There is no way he would have disparaged them and would have had said something like "We have a long tradition of playing ULL that we believe both fan bases enjoy and we really expect them to be a top notch opponent." It would not have satisfied anybody and would have been a lie, but on social media it is pretty much all he could have said. He probably didn't want a disparaging remark about ULL on his twitter feed.
He could have simply ignored the comment. Him blocking GSx doesn’t delete the comment, everyone else can still see it.
Are you guys seriously butthurt over Twitter? Counting tweets? Long term Tulane fans should have thicker skins.
I’m Not butthurt at all. You seem more butthurt than me. (The only post in this entire thread where I thought someone seemed upset was a post made by you)
I was simply sharing some thoughts and information, I’m not mad at all about TD’s Twitter use. But I do find it interesting that you think that the fans need to have thicker skin but the AD doesn’t.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am Question: do y'all really think our AD has nothing better to do than sit in his office surfing Twitter and blocking people who say mean things?

Outside of our recent Commander in Chief, probably 99% of people in higher-up public administrative roles - especially ones that have to use social media for contact to their followers - have a person or team of people running their Twitter account. Those people may have been given specific instruction to keep the account "clean", meaning anything negative or questioning of the program gets deleted/blocked - which, if the case, you can argue the pros and cons of. Obviously if you are someone who was deleted or blocked, you only see it as a con; if you see the account as an advertisement for the school and athletic program, then keeping it "positive" for potential outsiders (recruits?) would be a reason to have that done.
There Are 25 tweets from TD’s account in 2021. I don’t think it’s A Stretch at all to think he runs that account by himself but of course it’s possible that he doesn’t. I do see the pros of deleting or blocking negativity but blocking and deleting negative replies to tweets @ the AD, which are few and far between isn’t making much of a difference when I see the same accounts replying with negativity at the official Football/basketball/baseball accounts when they post a final score of a loss.

I definitely don’t see any pros of blocking GSx for asking "why in the world are we scheduling ULL."
While he shouldn't have blocked GSX, any answer he gave would have been bs. There is no way he would have disparaged them and would have had said something like "We have a long tradition of playing ULL that we believe both fan bases enjoy and we really expect them to be a top notch opponent." It would not have satisfied anybody and would have been a lie, but on social media it is pretty much all he could have said. He probably didn't want a disparaging remark about ULL on his twitter feed.
He could have simply ignored the comment. Him blocking GSx doesn’t delete the comment, everyone else can still see it.
Are you guys seriously butthurt over Twitter? Counting tweets? Long term Tulane fans should have thicker skins.
Says someone who doesn't live here and goes to all the games for football, basketball and baseball and has lost out on seating assignments and post season tickets due to the vindictiveness.
We deserve so much better
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

a whole new level of pettiness...

bless their heart... 😀
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

wavedom wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:22 pm

Says someone who doesn't live here and goes to all the games for football, basketball and baseball and has lost out on seating assignments and post season tickets due to the vindictiveness.
It might just be your charming personality
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Since Goff was here and left before Fritz, there is no reason to believe he favors Fritz over anyone else. I would still think it is a tough sell to bring in someone 61 years old, has good, but still modest by most standards, success at Tulane. I would think they would try to get someone who they could sell to the fanbase more easily-especially since this is Goff's first hire and perhaps most important. KU alums could give a rat's behind that Fritz is from Kansas, if I were them I would say so what?! Give me someone who can turn this ship around in a hurry and can recruit for Kansas.

I still maintain that Tulane is a better job than KU right now. The delta in salary, let's just say $1.0M for argument's sake, makes it a more difficult choice because, if Fritz has modest results at KU, he's probably out the door in three, maybe four years. He could probably stay at Tulane as long as he wants, provided he gives us the same results as he has. Don't forget, his agent takes 10%, so the delta is smaller than it looks. And we don't know what incentives his Tulane contract has, which could narrow it even still. KU ain't going to any bowl anytime soon, I don't care who they get in there.

In short, even on the surface, a move doesn't make sense to me, but we will see what happens.
Plan your work, work your plan.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

windywave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm

It might just be your charming personality
It is as as I said it was which came straight from multiple employees in the athletic department .
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

So we gave out bowl rings for a game we lost?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm So we gave out bowl rings for a game we lost?
The diamond encrusted “2” probably looks really good
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I've learned trendy social media graces tonight ("Don't sweat tweets.") and a new question that answers itself in any and all circumstances; namely "Are you still butthurt?"
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

What was the reason for the alleged vindictiveness?
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

People still butthurt in 2021?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Back to Fritz Kansas etc...

There are a couple of sites that have said Lance Leipold of Buffalo is interested in Kansas. If CWF were to go to Kansas, which I highly doubt he will at this moment, Leipold looks to be very similar to CWF and would be a good and probably gettable target. The sky isn't falling.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Sophandros wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:30 am

What was the reason for the alleged vindictiveness?
Criticism of the athletic department. Plain and simple. Calling it out for the losing and the laziness of those in charge. Hell people were banned left and right during that period from this site for criticism of the department. That's how much influence the athletic department carried so that its complete ineptness couldn't be questioned and they could continue their easy lives.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

FW wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:18 am People still butthurt in 2021?
No. The topic is just being brought up now so its being discussed.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Sophandros wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 pm
Sophandros wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm
long green wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 pm https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... b644f.html

Guerry on this issue (Fritz, not what this thread is currently doing).
This says a lot.
Although his record is 29-33 in five years in New Orleans, Tulane went 36-97 in the 11 years before he arrived, reaching a bowl game in 2013 but finishing no better than 4-8 in any of the others. Those numbers are similar to the mess a new coach will inherit at Kansas, which is 18-99 over the past 10 years in the Big 12, went winless in 2020 and never finished better than 3-9 in that span.
This says more:
Kansas would offer a spot in the Power Five Conference and a salary jump for Fritz, though how big a bump is unclear. Miles earned $2.775 million per year at Kansas. Although Tulane does not release monetary information, USA Today’s salary database lists him as receiving $1,787,000 in 2020. A source indicated his actual compensation was higher than that.
As does this:
It is unclear how much, if any, mutual interest there is between Kansas and Fritz. He dismissed a question about the Jayhawks potentially pursuing him last month with a four-word answer: “Oh, it’s social media.
Whether he’s interested or not, I wouldn’t expect him to say anything else.
Yeah, that says nothing.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 am Back to Fritz Kansas etc...

There are a couple of sites that have said Lance Leipold of Buffalo is interested in Kansas. If CWF were to go to Kansas, which I highly doubt he will at this moment, Leipold looks to be very similar to CWF and would be a good and probably gettable target. The sky isn't falling.
Leipold is a great coach. Kansas would be lucky to get him. I've said before that if Fritz left he would be a top target for me.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

It struck me that Buffalo seems to have had multiple good coaches in their relatively short FBS time. I googled "university of buffalo football coaches". Under the results, the "People also search for" includes, in the top 6, Jeff Monken and Willie Fritz. Hmm. :lol:

BTW, it turns out their "good" coaches are just Turner Gill and presumably Leipold... so nevermind.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:49 am It struck me that Buffalo seems to have had multiple good coaches in their relatively short FBS time. I googled "university of buffalo football coaches". Under the results, the "People also search for" includes, in the top 6, Jeff Monken and Willie Fritz. Hmm. :lol:

BTW, it turns out their "good" coaches are just Turner Gill and presumably Leipold... so nevermind.
Yeah Gill, who left Buffalo for Kansas, might be why Leipold doesn't end up there, which would be dumb on Kansas' part. Gill's success was brief, but Leipold has them humming. Only think missing is a MAC title.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I doubt there's any Kansas fan who'd turn down Leipold because Gill coached there. Certainly no sentient Kansas fan.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

long green wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:46 am I doubt there's any Kansas fan who'd turn down Leipold because Gill coached there. Certainly no sentient Kansas fan.
For sure on fans. Boosters are an odd breed, though. They may not care, but sometimes they are weird about repeating similar pathways when the last try failed.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Kansas football=the fall distraction until basketball starts.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Criticism of the athletic department. Plain and simple. Calling it out for the losing and the laziness of those in charge. Hell people were banned left and right during that period from this site for criticism of the department. That's how much influence the athletic department carried so that its complete ineptness couldn't be questioned and they could continue their easy lives.
as one of the people doing the banning, 99% of the banning was due to people demanding a firing while the season was still going on, or because they were constantly insulting other posters...

An Athletic Director doesn’t really have a season, so they are pretty much open targets.

As for this year’s Baseball coaching criticism, everybody likes to play loose with the rules. And I haven’t been energetic enough to delete all of the stuff