TV jibber jabber

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: TV jibber jabber

Post by gerryb323 »

Watched first episode (movie) of Yellowstone last night...not sure why we overlap like this, but here we go!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Now that I’m 4 episodes in on We Own this City, I have to say it’s a shame that it’s a miniseries Jon Bernthal is fantastic in it. If you liked the Wire (or even if you never saw it) I think this is still highly recommended.

I also decided to start The Duece again after only watching the first couple episodes when it first started airing. It has a lot of other HBO actors from The Wire, Sopranos, Many Saints, etc.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Obi Wan 1 and 2 in the books... my daughter and I have a Stranger Things weekend binge on the docket, now.

Obi Wan had some slow moments in episode 1 but episode 2 was anything but that!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:33 pm Obi Wan 1 and 2 in the books... my daughter and I have a Stranger Things weekend binge on the docket, now.

My daughter binged Stranger Things now she is watch It again with my wife.

I finally watched the last episode of Ozark. And on season two of The Deuce. With no more baseball I should be able to knock that one out.

Tonight will be the Tony Hawk documentary on HBO Max on my poolside projector.
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:04 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:33 pm Obi Wan 1 and 2 in the books... my daughter and I have a Stranger Things weekend binge on the docket, now.

I finally watched the last episode of Ozark. And on season two of The Deuce. With no more baseball I should be able to knock that one out.

"poolside projector"... well listen to you Mr Fancypants
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm
waverider wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:04 pm

"poolside projector"... well listen to you Mr Fancypants
:lol: It probably sounds fancier than it actually is!
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

The new George Carlin documentary on HBO Max is also pretty good; watched it this weekend.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

GretnaGrn wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:11 pm The new George Carlin documentary on HBO Max is also pretty good; watched it this weekend.
I was going to watch that one the other day but my wife said she wants to watch it so I waited. I’m looking forward to it.
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

waverider wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:34 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:11 pm The new George Carlin documentary on HBO Max is also pretty good; watched it this weekend.
I was going to watch that one the other day but my wife said she wants to watch it so I waited. I’m looking forward to it.
I enjoyed it. It is long, though (two parts, roughly 90 minutes each).
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

GretnaGrn wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:59 pm
waverider wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:34 pm
I enjoyed it. It is long, though (two parts, roughly 90 minutes each).
We were lucky enough to see him live while he was preparing for his last HBO special not long before he passed.
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

saw an article that absolutely ripped episode 3 of Obi Wan to shreds and I actually agree with it... a LOT of lazy writing
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:22 pm saw an article that absolutely ripped episode 3 of Obi Wan to shreds and I actually agree with it... a LOT of lazy writing
I was never really a Star Trek fan anyway
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:08 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:22 pm saw an article that absolutely ripped episode 3 of Obi Wan to shreds and I actually agree with it... a LOT of lazy writing
I was never really a Star Trek fan anyway
the troll is strong with this one
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

"The Offer" on Paramount plus... you're welcome
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:02 pm "The Offer" on Paramount plus... you're welcome
I’m waiting for all of the episodes to be released before I sign up. I’m curious of how accurate they tell the story.

I may even wait until the new Beavis and Butthead movie comes out so I can cancel if I don’t want to keep it after the first month or I may dump one of the other streaming services and keep Paramount if I think I’ll watch more of it.
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:07 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:02 pm "The Offer" on Paramount plus... you're welcome
I’m waiting for all of the episodes to be released before I sign up. I’m curious of how accurate they tell the story.

I may even wait until the new Beavis and Butthead movie comes out so I can cancel if I don’t want to keep it after the first month or I may dump one of the other streaming services and keep Paramount if I think I’ll watch more of it.
last episode comes out tomorrow.. we're up to number 6 so will ultimately not have to wait for any of them to drop

one of the executive producers is Al Ruddy, the man who is the primary focus of the series... I am guessing it's pretty accurate
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m 4 episodes in and I really like it so far. There are some inaccuracies but that’s to be expected. I’m more familiar with the mafia side of it, but have some understanding of the production side.

Colombo didn’t have to threaten the homeowner of the house they used. The owner was reluctant but gave in under the condition they fixed his leaking roof.

They didn’t “ambush” the studio with Brando’s film. The studio asked for them to film a short clip of him so they could see.

They did a good job with casting Coppola and Pacino, but the mob guys aren’t as good. Carlo Gambino wasn’t nearly as large as the guy playing him and Michael Rispoli as Tommy Luchesse doesn’t look like the real one. Giovanni Ribisi does look a little like Joe Colombo.

It looks like they are setting it up to look like Crazy Joe Gallo whacks Colombo, but I think Gambino and the Commission had him whacked for being too much in the spotlight.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I have watched 5 episodes. One additional thing I have come across is the firing of Al Ruddy and the supposed intervention of Joe Colombo. That never happened. Ruddy was fired, but it was Coppola that got him rehired, not Colombo. The shooting at the end of episode 5 appeared to be Nicky Barnes. Nicky Barnes died of cancer. I couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be Joe Gallo, but he was killed at Umberto’s in Manhattan’s on his birthday.
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:48 pm I have watched 5 episodes. One additional thing I have come across is the firing of Al Ruddy and the supposed intervention of Joe Colombo. That never happened. Ruddy was fired, but it was Coppola that got him rehired, not Colombo. The shooting at the end of episode 5 appeared to be Nicky Barnes. Nicky Barnes died of cancer. I couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be Joe Gallo, but he was killed at Umberto’s in Manhattan’s on his birthday.
yeah, figured there would be a little Hollywoodization... the big dude that Lou Ferrigno played actually gave Bettye McCartt the watch, not Caesar is another "change" the show made

I am truly gobsmacked that the Offer got shut out for Emmy nominations... I cannot find an article that says it was ineligible.. but since Obi Wan was ineligible, it's possible the Offer was, as well.. or since the Offer was in a time line that it could be submitted in 2022 or 2023, they didn't submit this year... still can't find confirmation either way.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:04 pm
waverider wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:48 pm I have watched 5 episodes. One additional thing I have come across is the firing of Al Ruddy and the supposed intervention of Joe Colombo. That never happened. Ruddy was fired, but it was Coppola that got him rehired, not Colombo. The shooting at the end of episode 5 appeared to be Nicky Barnes. Nicky Barnes died of cancer. I couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be Joe Gallo, but he was killed at Umberto’s in Manhattan’s on his birthday.
yeah, figured there would be a little Hollywoodization... the big dude that Lou Ferrigno played actually gave Bettye McCartt the watch, not Caesar is another "change" the show made

I am truly gobsmacked that the Offer got shut out for Emmy nominations... I cannot find an article that says it was ineligible.. but since Obi Wan was ineligible, it's possible the Offer was, as well.. or since the Offer was in a time line that it could be submitted in 2022 or 2023, they didn't submit this year... still can't find confirmation either way.
From what I can tell, the Caesar character is completely made up and not based on a real person. The watch, however, was actually stolen in Florida and she was really told not to wear it there.

Lou Ferrigno is playing Lenny Montana (Luca Brasi) and they kind of used his real story. The scene with him practicing what he would say to Don Corleone is based on an actual on-set story in which he was practicing his lines and Coppola saw it and decided to film it and leave it in to capture the essence of Luca Brasi being an uneducated, yet loyal soldier to the Don. The show kind of captures that but makes it seem like it happened at rehearsals.

Either way, I think the show is great and as a fan of The Godfather I am anxious to watch the movie again once I finish The Offer (I have 3 left and plan on watching at least one tonight).

Regarding Joe Gallo, who’s nickname “Crazy Joe” was rightfully so, he never had much involvement, if at all with the filming of the movie.

I mentioned Gallo being whacked at Umberto’s on his birthday. That actually happened after the movie was released and not during filming. A side note, the movie The Irishman which is partly based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses about Frank Sheeran. Sheeran claims to have been involved in the Gallo shooting and while disputed by many, witness did say they saw a “tall, Irish looking guy” so it’s possible that he was involved. Carmine Dibiasi was another shooter and reportedly a third guy was involved.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Just finished the 3 episode documentary about Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix. What a crazy 3 days. I remember seeing a lot of it but this really shows in depth just how rowdy the event got.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:46 pm Just finished the 3 episode documentary about Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix. What a crazy 3 days. I remember seeing a lot of it but this really shows in depth just how rowdy the event got.
Same! I thought it was hilarious that all of the kids who were there said they would definitely do it again and it was one of the best things they had ever done!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:46 pm Just finished the 3 episode documentary about Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix. What a crazy 3 days. I remember seeing a lot of it but this really shows in depth just how rowdy the event got.
I still, to this day, am shocked that Sha Na Na was one of the acts
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Has everyone (that watched it) finished Better Call Saul?
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:43 pm Has everyone (that watched it) finished Better Call Saul?
yeah.. in a complete reversal of my usual DVR/fast forward M.O., I watched it live