Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Fritz contract extension
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:30 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: New Orleans
Hadn't seen this elsewhere. But I was told Fritz signed his much discussed contract extension last week. So that's done. don't know the financial details.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am
Posts: 164
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some others)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
:roll:

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 1701
Location: Upriver in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota
randymc wrote:
Hadn't seen this elsewhere. But I was told Fritz signed his much discussed contract extension last week. So that's done. don't know the financial details.

Glad to hear it. He is moving us in the right direction. In this day and age, such extensions are needed for recruiting. Hope Fritz delivers a bowl season this year in a no doubt fashion (given that the refs at SMU wrongly denied us a bowl last year). Roll Wave!!!


Last edited by MNAlum on Fri May 11, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3415
Location: Marietta, GA
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some others)


First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
also, we're coming off the best recruiting class that I've seen around here in DECADES.

and quite frankly, my single biggest concern when WF was hired was whether he could recruit talent to come here that could compete with the top tier schools in the AAC.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5993
Location: Gretna, LA
Naturally, the devil is in the details, but such contracts are a necessity for retention and recruiting these days. I also agree with several posters above the CWF has shown visible, tangible improvement with the product on the field. We're not where we need to be yet (although we were absolutely robbed of a bowl last year) but we're closer than we've been in an extremely long time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am 
Online
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Baton Rouge
GretnaGrn wrote:
Naturally, the devil is in the details, but such contracts are a necessity for retention and recruiting these days. I also agree with several posters above the CWF has shown visible, tangible improvement with the product on the field. We're not where we need to be yet (although we were absolutely robbed of a bowl last year) but we're closer than we've been in an extremely long time.


This. Contract length hasn't been the problem is the past. Missed hires or not paying up is what has failed us. If Tulane fails to win in 18 and 19 'he gone' regardless of years left. Contacts are literally just about price per year and buy out. The actual length is never honored by coaches or schools. In all honesty it might as well be year to year with a buy-out stated, but that isn't how they do it simply because of perception IMO.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:08 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am
Posts: 164
Rotorooter wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some other


First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field .

I will agree with seeing an improved product over what was there before . I am with you on that point. However, it still adds up to two more LOSING years of Tulane football. This program needs to WIN, and WIN, AND WIN consistently. The FB product MUST create a situation where Yulman Stadium would not be big enough to handle an increased demand for tickets in the South La./New Orleans area due to Tulane WINNING MORE. That would show me definite improvement by this football program.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).


So, let me get this straight. You would really be willing to put up with another couple of years of losing under Fritz (or any HC) before demanding a change? Sorry, but I am NOT that patient. I am too old to wait any longer. Put up a couple of years of WINNING FOOTBALL, and then we will talk about any contract extension.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4202
You are begging him to leave at the first sign of prosperity if you don't show him enough confidence to give him an extension. While I realize that even with an extension if somebody wanted him they could still get him, there is likely a clause that would at least get Tulane some money if it happened.

It's tough in the sense that if you did want to get rid of him down the road you would be stuck with a buyout because he has a longer contract, but I think he has shown enough that it is more likely we will want him to stick around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20267
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
You say you want a consistent winning product? THIS IS HOW YOU GET A CONSISTENT WINNING PRODUCT.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3415
Location: Marietta, GA
In the spirit of WaveProf, I have only two words for IM42lane, Larry Smith. He is the one who built a solid foundation, after three dismal years.

If you want lightning in a bottle, Tommy Bowden. He wins, doesn't build a foundation, then leaves at his first opportunity (so did Smith, but at least he built something).

We ALL yearn for winning football. But not only do I want to settle for that, I want something with STAYING POWER. I like what WF is doing and I believe he is building that staying power. I also believe that TD does, too, that's why the extension was given. If he doesn't increase the level of the program, he's gone and we start over. Rinse and repeat.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 7128
Location: Georgia
Rotorooter wrote:
In the spirit of WaveProf, I have only two words for IM42lane, Larry Smith. He is the one who built a solid foundation, after three dismal years.

If you want lightning in a bottle, Tommy Bowden. He wins, doesn't build a foundation, then leaves at his first opportunity (so did Smith, but at least he built something).

We ALL yearn for winning football. But not only do I want to settle for that, I want something with STAYING POWER. I like what WF is doing and I believe he is building that staying power. I also believe that TD does, too, that's why the extension was given. If he doesn't increase the level of the program, he's gone and we start over. Rinse and repeat.



Well said...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19202
Location: Chicago
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some others)


You're an idiot

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19202
Location: Chicago
IM42lane wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some other


First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field .

I will agree with seeing an improved product over what was there before . I am with you on that point. However, it still adds up to two more LOSING years of Tulane football. This program needs to WIN, and WIN, AND WIN consistently. The FB product MUST create a situation where Yulman Stadium would not be big enough to handle an increased demand for tickets in the South La./New Orleans area due to Tulane WINNING MORE. That would show me definite improvement by this football program.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).


So, let me get this straight. You would really be willing to put up with another couple of years of losing under Fritz (or any HC) before demanding a change? Sorry, but I am NOT that patient. I am too old to wait any longer. Put up a couple of years of WINNING FOOTBALL, and then we will talk about any contract extension.


Doubling down

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19890
Location: Cincinnati, OH
IM42lane wrote:
I am too old to wait any longer.
You're also apparently too old to understand the modern way of dealing with college coaches contractually. Which is what we did. Which is what everyone above is trying to explain to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19202
Location: Chicago
PeteRasche wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I am too old to wait any longer.
You're also apparently too old to understand the modern way of dealing with college coaches contractually. Which is what we did. Which is what everyone above is trying to explain to you.


For the record I wasn't trying to explain anything

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I am too old to wait any longer.
You're also apparently too old to understand the modern way of dealing with college coaches contractually. Which is what we did. Which is what everyone above is trying to explain to you.


For the record I wasn't trying to explain anything
Sometimes you can be a d!ck, windy. And I love it. You would have fit in just fine on a submarine. It was no place for dullards. :lol: You either gave as well as you got, or you curled up in a fetal position.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:52 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19890
Location: Cincinnati, OH
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I am too old to wait any longer.
You're also apparently too old to understand the modern way of dealing with college coaches contractually. Which is what we did. Which is what everyone above is trying to explain to you.


For the record I wasn't trying to explain anything

For the record I wasn't talking about you whatsoever. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:01 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19202
Location: Chicago
PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I am too old to wait any longer.
You're also apparently too old to understand the modern way of dealing with college coaches contractually. Which is what we did. Which is what everyone above is trying to explain to you.


For the record I wasn't trying to explain anything

For the record I wasn't talking about you whatsoever. :wink:


I just wanted to provide clarity

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Naples, FL
IM42lane wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some other


First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field .

I will agree with seeing an improved product over what was there before . I am with you on that point. However, it still adds up to two more LOSING years of Tulane football. This program needs to WIN, and WIN, AND WIN consistently. The FB product MUST create a situation where Yulman Stadium would not be big enough to handle an increased demand for tickets in the South La./New Orleans area due to Tulane WINNING MORE. That would show me definite improvement by this football program.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).


So, let me get this straight. You would really be willing to put up with another couple of years of losing under Fritz (or any HC) before demanding a change? Sorry, but I am NOT that patient. I am too old to wait any longer. Put up a couple of years of WINNING FOOTBALL, and then we will talk about any contract extension.


So let me get this straight IM, if the FB team has a losing record this season, you propose to fire Coach Fritz? You would be out of patience and want to go in a new direction? You would demand a change? Do you seriously believe that is an approach to get us winning football? Because to me it seems ludicrous.

_________________
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight


Last edited by CT Wave on Sun May 13, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20649
Location: North Kenner
PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I am too old to wait any longer.
You're also apparently too old to understand the modern way of dealing with college coaches contractually. Which is what we did. Which is what everyone above is trying to explain to you.


For the record I wasn't trying to explain anything

For the record I wasn't talking about you whatsoever. :wink:

But you kind of were. You mention “everyone” that was “trying to explain” :wink:

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9690
CT Wave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some other


First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field .

I will agree with seeing an improved product over what was there before . I am with you on that point. However, it still adds up to two more LOSING years of Tulane football. This program needs to WIN, and WIN, AND WIN consistently. The FB product MUST create a situation where Yulman Stadium would not be big enough to handle an increased demand for tickets in the South La./New Orleans area due to Tulane WINNING MORE. That would show me definite improvement by this football program.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).


So, let me get this straight. You would really be willing to put up with another couple of years of losing under Fritz (or any HC) before demanding a change? Sorry, but I am NOT that patient. I am too old to wait any longer. Put up a couple of years of WINNING FOOTBALL, and then we will talk about any contract extension.


So let me get this straight IM, if the FB team has a losing record this season, you propose to fire Coach Fritz? You would be out of patience and want to go in a new direction? You would demand a change? Do you seriously believe that is an approach to get us winning football? Because to me it seems ludicrous.

Don't think there's much of a chance of this happening, but if we win 2-3 games (or less), I think you could probably make the argument for a change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am
Posts: 164
ml wave wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some other


First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field .

I will agree with seeing an improved product over what was there before . I am with you on that point. However, it still adds up to two more LOSING years of Tulane football. This program needs to WIN, and WIN, AND WIN consistently. The FB product MUST create a situation where Yulman Stadium would not be big enough to handle an increased demand for tickets in the South La./New Orleans area due to Tulane WINNING MORE. That would show me definite improvement by this football program.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).


So, let me get this straight. You would really be willing to put up with another couple of years of losing under Fritz (or any HC) before demanding a change? Sorry, but I am NOT that patient. I am too old to wait any longer. Put up a couple of years of WINNING FOOTBALL, and then we will talk about any contract extension.


So let me get this straight IM, if the FB team has a losing record this season, you propose to fire Coach Fritz? You would be out of patience and want to go in a new direction? You would demand a change? Do you seriously believe that is an approach to get us winning football? Because to me it seems ludicrous.


Don't think there's much of a chance of this happening, but if we win 2-3 games (or less), I think you could probably make the argument for a change.


What happens if another 5-7 season happens in 2018?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Naples, FL
That is an easy decision in my opinion, IM, you stay with Coach Fritz. I expect a bowl season, but can imagine another 5-7 season -- doody happens. And to demand a change should that occur, would be a huge mistake. Coach Fritz is improving our recruiting without question. Do you agree? He is developing our players. Do you agree? He makes solid in-game decisions. I believe he will get us to winning football on a consistent basis.

_________________
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group