Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24740
Location: New Orleans
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tive-leave

That story there is from ESPN, who ignored this building story all day until they couldn't.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:05 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Baton Rouge
long green wrote:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258253/ohio-state-buckeyes-places-urban-meyer-administrative-leave

That story there is from ESPN, who ignored this building story all day until they couldn't.


Exactly. Why did they ignore it? Because McMurphy who they just part3d with was breaking it.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:17 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Did Richard Nixon teach us nothing? It’s ALWAYS the cover up that will get you.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19891
Location: Cincinnati, OH
FWIW, this is being discussed in the Ohio State game thread on the main page, since it potentially and/or arguably affects our upcoming year.

I can see why it could be here or there but a mod ought to choose one and not have both going on the same topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I actually think this should be the main Urban Meyer thread. The other thread was more about who was attending the game and the merits of tailgates.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19891
Location: Cincinnati, OH
TUPF wrote:
I actually think this should be the main Urban Meyer thread. The other thread was more about who was attending the game and the merits of tailgates.

That was the Columbus roll call thread, not the Ohio State thread. :mrgreen:

But either way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Baton Rouge
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
I actually think this should be the main Urban Meyer thread. The other thread was more about who was attending the game and the merits of tailgates.

That was the Columbus roll call thread, not the Ohio State thread. :mrgreen:

But either way.


So no need for Juju thread then?

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Not sure if this is an appropriate comparison but I’ll make it anyway. Back in the day the US Navy, and in particular Naval Aviation went through its own poop-storm of public relations nightmare with something called Tailhook. Up until the scandal year, naval aviators held an annual nationwide bacchanalia called Tailhook, renting out entire hotels and engaging in theatrics that would put Animal House to shame. It was a thing. Attended by junior aviators up through flag rank. Then reports of what went on including deep sexual misconduct filtered out, and a firestorm ensued which consumed many careers. Some said it was about time and some groused about political correctness run amok. Yet, the more the light was shone during the postmortem, the worse it got. Some old timers still grouse about PC rather than the conduct. The major problem was that standards changed and dinosaurs failed to realize it. It was always inappropriate but now they were being called on it.

I think we are starting to see the same thing right now in many professions. Before I retired from a Lockheed Martin we had a long groomed CEO in waiting get canned about 15 minutes before he was to assume the reigns due to sexual misconduct. I doubt that would have happened 20 years earlier. We are starting to see it in coaching, strained through the filter of big programs and all the interlocking interests. Politics seems to be about the only place left where some get taken out while others survive, depending on the vagaries of which party is calling the shots.

I think we are going to see more of this, not less. There are a lot of sleeping dogs out there.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19891
Location: Cincinnati, OH
TUPF wrote:
Not sure if this is an appropriate comparison but I’ll make it anyway. Back in the day the US Navy, and in particular Naval Aviation went through its own poop-storm of public relations nightmare with something called Tailhook. Up until the scandal year, naval aviators held an annual nationwide bacchanalia called Tailhook, renting out entire hotels and engaging in theatrics that would put Animal House to shame. It was a thing. Attended by junior aviators up through flag rank. Then reports of what went on including deep sexual misconduct filtered out, and a firestorm ensued which consumed many careers. Some said it was about time and some groused about political correctness run amok. Yet, the more the light was shone during the postmortem, the worse it got. Some old timers still grouse about PC rather than the conduct. The major problem was that standards changed and dinosaurs failed to realize it. It was always inappropriate but now they were being called on it.

I think we are starting to see the same thing right now in many professions. Before I retired from a Lockheed Martin we had a long groomed CEO in waiting get canned about 15 minutes before he was to assume the reigns due to sexual misconduct. I doubt that would have happened 20 years earlier. We are starting to see it in coaching, strained through the filter of big programs and all the interlocking interests. Politics seems to be about the only place left where some get taken out while others survive, depending on the vagaries of which party is calling the shots.

I think we are going to see more of this, not less. There are a lot of sleeping dogs out there.

Check what I just put in the OSU thread (sorry I put it there instead of here). Meyer *should* be gone if the media runs with the story I linked. Clauses were added to his contract this past spring when they gave him a raise (at the same time being in the heat of the #MeToo movement) which basically say the University should fire him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1881
TUPF wrote:
Not sure if this is an appropriate comparison but I’ll make it anyway. Back in the day the US Navy, and in particular Naval Aviation went through its own poop-storm of public relations nightmare with something called Tailhook. Up until the scandal year, naval aviators held an annual nationwide bacchanalia called Tailhook, renting out entire hotels and engaging in theatrics that would put Animal House to shame. It was a thing. Attended by junior aviators up through flag rank. Then reports of what went on including deep sexual misconduct filtered out, and a firestorm ensued which consumed many careers. Some said it was about time and some groused about political correctness run amok. Yet, the more the light was shone during the postmortem, the worse it got. Some old timers still grouse about PC rather than the conduct. The major problem was that standards changed and dinosaurs failed to realize it. It was always inappropriate but now they were being called on it.

I think we are starting to see the same thing right now in many professions. Before I retired from a Lockheed Martin we had a long groomed CEO in waiting get canned about 15 minutes before he was to assume the reigns due to sexual misconduct. I doubt that would have happened 20 years earlier. We are starting to see it in coaching, strained through the filter of big programs and all the interlocking interests. Politics seems to be about the only place left where some get taken out while others survive, depending on the vagaries of which party is calling the shots.

I think we are going to see more of this, not less. There are a lot of sleeping dogs out there.


TUPF, you are right about the sleeping dogs...one culture from years ago being judged by today's standards. Luckily, I missed the particular Tailhook where the incidents took place, but I have been to several more. The ones back in the day had a lot of drinking and sex games going on, but from what I saw and heard, there was no violence or harassment, it was all consensual. Some Navy women actively participated in some of the activities. That is not to excuse any of it, but senior officers should have put a stop to it before it got so out of hand. Unfortunately, they had been raised in the same "flyboy" culture of naval aviation and it was viewed as boys being boys.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:24 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5460
Let's return this to Tulane angle: many here are aware of the extraordinary due diligence Fritz does for background to verify off the field character. It doesn't mean Tulane will never have problems. It just means that with extra effort these issues can be managed or in a best case absolutely minimized.

Contrast this with Meyer. OSU's actions yesterday means all the really ugly stuff in his history especially from Florida where Meyer winked at, ignored and perhaps arguably even enabled bad behavior will be resurrected.

Remember this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/spor ... years.html

But then OSU has known all this which makes the contract clauses Pete quotes more understandable and why he is in hot water over the Smith issue where Meyer's involvement is at most peripheral.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Posts: 1987
Location: Broadmoor
The fact that this is happening in the middle of the wrestler molestation scandal gives OSU very little wiggle room.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Baywave1 wrote:
Let's return this to Tulane angle: many here are aware of the extraordinary due diligence Fritz does for background to verify off the field character. It doesn't mean Tulane will never have problems. It just means that with extra effort these issues can be managed or in a best case absolutely minimized.

Contrast this with Meyer. OSU's actions yesterday means all the really ugly stuff in his history especially from Florida where Meyer winked at, ignored and perhaps arguably even enabled bad behavior will be resurrected.

Remember this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/spor ... years.html

But then OSU has known all this which makes the contract clauses Pete quotes more understandable and why he is in hot water over the Smith issue where Meyer's involvement is at most peripheral.
Not carrying Meyer’s water here but if OSU knew enough of the patterns cited in the NYT article, it’s obvious they loaded his contract with off ramp clauses should the Ghost of Misdeeds Past come calling one midnight. Either OSU was aware this day might come or they have very prescient contract writers.

And now that the Ghost of Misdeeds Past has seen daylight I think OSU just might pull the trigger. Of course they are hypocrites but no one ever said the promise of national championships does not corrupt.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
TU77CAL82 wrote:
The fact that this is happening in the middle of the wrestler molestation scandal gives OSU very little wiggle room.

That too.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3907
Location: Wichita
Is it too late to hire Luke Fickell?

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6608
Location: Dripping Springs
Is Tressel's tenure any type of precedent ?? Different specifics, but ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Baton Rouge
I have no idea what Meyer is really like. If you try to give people second chances and "mentor" them the you will unavoidably be associated with that element. All it then takes is one or two of those to offend again then you're accused of being complicit. This was Bobby Bowden at FSU. You think our boy Tommy wasn't going to act the same way or didn't his short time here? One the other side of coin if you have a real zero tolerance policy you are seen as cold and are accused of being prejudiced toward the marginalized communities that many kids on the edge come from. Its a catch 22.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

https://apple.news/AIsK80RgOS26iXzo_a6DyIA

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19891
Location: Cincinnati, OH
TUPF wrote:
“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

https://apple.news/AIsK80RgOS26iXzo_a6DyIA

The power of "how things have always been" vs. the power of "the #MeToo movement plus Ohio State haters in a social media-influenced world". Should be interesting. I suppose it will give the talking heads on ESPN and sports talk radio something to chew on for three weeks until actual games start.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 13274
In other news, Art Briles hired by Italian team, 'jacked' about his return to football

_________________
Just waiting for something to happen.
And Banks was in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5460
If Urban is interested, I hear the Parma Panthers might be looking for a coach......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:04 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19918
Location: New Orleans
read an article in a Waco paper trying to rehabilitate Art Briles career. also heard this morning that OSU has fired every football HC since 1948. So its not like they're shy about kicking someone off the plane if its in OSU's best interest.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5460
sr wrote:
Is Tressel's tenure any type of precedent ?? Different specifics, but ...


If so, it's about the lying......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Baton Rouge
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

https://apple.news/AIsK80RgOS26iXzo_a6DyIA

The power of "how things have always been" vs. the power of "the #MeToo movement plus Ohio State haters in a social media-influenced world". Should be interesting. I suppose it will give the talking heads on ESPN and sports talk radio something to chew on for three weeks until actual games start.


I remember when August was actually about football. Listening to sports reporters talk about social issues is like listening to old biddies talk about too much this or that on tv.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18040
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

https://apple.news/AIsK80RgOS26iXzo_a6DyIA

The power of "how things have always been" vs. the power of "the #MeToo movement plus Ohio State haters in a social media-influenced world". Should be interesting. I suppose it will give the talking heads on ESPN and sports talk radio something to chew on for three weeks until actual games start.


I remember when August was actually about football. Listening to sports reporters talk about social issues is like listening to old biddies talk about too much this or that on tv.

That was true when I was in my twenties back before the Interweb and in your playing days too. But now with a zillion media outlets needing something, anything to fill their bit buckets combined with the fact that most marquee programs’ head coaches are each state’s highest paid employee, and we are where we are. The toothpaste is out of the tube and can’t be put back in.

Now get off of my lawn.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group