Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

Tulane did not have a media day last year, and the one in 2016, was quite disappointing, so I wasn’t sure what to expect today.

Call me surprised. All major, and some minor, media outlets were there. From what I could tell, all of the TV stations sent someone, as did the advocate and TP. Several other media outlets, such as websites, or sports radio stations were also present.

Media reps were allowed one on one time with 5 offensive players, an 5 defensive players, plus OC and DC. At one time, I think JB had about 10 people surrounding his table.

Very good turnout, look for some good stories to come out over the next couple of days. Also, Tulane Football Video crew was streaming, and you can see that stream on Twitter. I believe there was an audio issue with the Facebook live stream.

Overall great job today!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:32 pm 
Cornerstone

Plus, it was a live stream so that we expats could tune in. Other than some audio glitches (corrected for me when somebody linked an alternate source), it was great. Live interviews with Off. and Def. coaches and players.

Thanks, Troy and Graf.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:16 pm 
Regent's Circle

Yeah. Very professional event. Watched via Twitter with no sound issues. Great to listen to Coaches Ruse & Curtis. Also, TG's interview with Cameron Sample gives one a good feeling about the future. A very solid individual on all fronts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

TP: Bowl is the goal: What happened at Tulane football media day

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sounds like the local media is starting to buy in to Fritz even after two disappointing years. Doesn’t hurt that their beloved school is turning into a clown show :?

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 pm 
Navigator Level

sr wrote:
Great to listen to Coaches Ruse & Curtis.

Two big takeaways from Curtis interview:
- youngest defense he has coached in 30 years. So must develop confidence early in the season.
- cornerback is not his big concern. Major props to Monroe’s cover skills. Also mentioned Keyes and langham.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

Posted some media day pictures on my Twitter timeline, for those interested.

Here is Banks with Doug Mouton of WWL-tv

https://twitter.com/scroogedaddy/status ... 93409?s=21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

Photo gallery on the official site:
https://greenwave.exposure.co/meet-the-press

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 pm 
President's Circle

1401973 wrote:
sr wrote:
Great to listen to Coaches Ruse & Curtis.

Two big takeaways from Curtis interview:
- youngest defense he has coached in 30 years. So must develop confidence early in the season.
- cornerback is not his big concern. Major props to Monroe’s cover skills. Also mentioned Keyes and langham.

I hate to see that word “young” - and 30 years to boot. That usually means disaster.

And pray every day that Banks does not get hurt. What do you think the record is if he goes down?

Did he say anything about the LB?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:12 am 
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:
And pray every day that Banks does not get hurt. What do you think the record is if he goes down?
We heard similar concerns
when Shaun King was the backup, and when Patrick Ramsey was the backup. I've ceased worrying about backups having to take over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 am 
President's Circle

I thought the 2013 season was ruined when Montana went down and Powell had to come in. We still managed to pull out a winning season. Make no mistake, losing Banks would be a huge blow to our hopes this season, especially in what will be a much tougher schedule vs the one we played in 2013. I also have faith that our coaching staff will figure things out should that scenario arise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am 
Regent's Circle

Media Day - 'Lights - Camera - … '

https://twitter.com/TylerJonKai/status/1026991041990336514?s=20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 am 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Being a long time Tulanian I still wince at our 5-0 start in 1974, on regional TV at Ga Tech and QB Foley hurts/breaks his ankle (don’t remember which) and is out for the season. We lose out, finishing 5-6 and continue the losing throughout my 4 undergrad years. This was Lucy yanking the football away with extreme prejudice.

Having said that, I think Fritz is no fool and will be working in the backup QBs with meaningful snaps until a clear backup emerges. Thus, no woe is me predictions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am 
Emerald Circle

Bowl is the goal: What happened at Tulane football media day

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2 ... ve_go.html

nice artice from Jeff Duncan that came out of our Media Day. Fritz really comes across as an experienced knowledgeable HC. Something we've lacked in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am 
Navigator Level

tjtlja wrote:
Did he say anything about the LB?

I don't recall hearing him say anything about the LBs but I think he feels comfortable at that position with Sr Harris (40) and Jr Graham (35).
As Teamer said in another section of the program, TU's base D is the Nickel with 5 DBs. As required 1 or more of the DBs/Safetys will drop into the box to play LB. We are in good shape there with good/experienced players like Sr Teamer (2), Jr Harper (12), Sr Shenall (19), Jr Hall (16), Soph Barge (33) and Jr Harper (25).

We actually have a very experienced back seven. It's the front 4 (exception Kennedy) that is young....and that has us all hesitant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:40 am 
President's Circle

When I see young, no experience, I can’t help not thinking we will struggle (especially against the run).

Any reports on how the backup QB’s look? I have heard they are struggling (which is understandable). I wonder if Bradwell is getting any reps at QB from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:44 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
when Shaun King was the backup, and when Patrick Ramsey was the backup. I've ceased worrying about backups having to take over.

Shaun King was highly recruited and his stint when Demarest went down was, charitably, not good. I don't recall Ramsey playing as a backup? Maybe you're trying to say these guys will be good later (like King and Ramsey) but that's not the current issue. To answer the original question, it'd obviously depend on the opponent, but I think we'd be close to 0-x without Banks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:09 am 
Emerald Circle

1401973 wrote:

I don't recall hearing him say anything about the LBs but I think he feels comfortable at that position with Sr Harris (40) and Jr Graham (35).
As Teamer said in another section of the program, TU's base D is the Nickel with 5 DBs. As required 1 or more of the DBs/Safetys will drop into the box to play LB. We are in good shape there with good/experienced players like Sr Teamer (2), Jr Harper (12), Sr Shenall (19), Jr Hall (16), Soph Barge (33) and Jr Harper (25).

We actually have a very experienced back seven. It's the front 4 (exception Kennedy) that is young....and that has us all hesitant.

Smith said recently that Marvin Moody was playing with the ones alongside Harris in two recent practices.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:24 am 
Coach Level

ml wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Shaun King was highly recruited and his stint when Demarest went down was, charitably, not good. I don't recall Ramsey playing as a backup? Maybe you're trying to say these guys will be good later (like King and Ramsey) but that's not the current issue. To answer the original question, it'd obviously depend on the opponent, but I think we'd be close to 0-x without Banks.

If the unthinkable happens, I bet Bradwell will be in the mix if not the guy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 pm 
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
...I don't recall Ramsey playing as a backup?...
Ramsey was the backup, iirc, to Shaun King, and when King broke his hand, there was a bit of angst that we'd have to go with an untested quarterback. However, Ramsey didn't get to play (unless it was for an occasional snap here and there), since King went out and smoked the opponents, bad hand and all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
Navigator Level

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Ramsey was the backup, iirc, to Shaun King, and when King broke his hand, there was a bit of angst that we'd have to go with an untested quarterback. However, Ramsey didn't get to play (unless it was for an occasional snap here and there), since King went out and smoked the opponents, bad hand and all.

I expect one of our posters on here will tell you who went in for Shaun King against USM. Hint: it was not Patrick Ramsey.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

CT Wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I expect one of our posters on here will tell you who went in for Shaun King against USM. Hint: it was not Patrick Ramsey.

I remember he went in when we were pinned on our goal line and everyone expected a hand off but he completed a long pass to get us out of trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 pm 
Navigator Level

ml wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Yes if Banks goes down we are done. Our other back up QB's left. Ledford had already been moved to WR as it was clear he wasn't up to playing QB at this level. Other schools recruited him at other positions than QB. Daniels played against very weak opposition even by his own recent account. He is a project at best. Pray for Banks to play all meaningful snaps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I remember he went in when we were pinned on our goal line and everyone expected a hand off but he completed a long pass to get us out of trouble.

One of the greatest clutch plays and calls I've ever seen. We were backed up to our own goal line and USM was turning the momentum their way. That play completely changed the whole feel inside the dome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm 
President's Circle

Mr. Jeff Curtis. What a great moment in Tulane football history.