Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If you could go back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

Okay say you could somehow go back to one Tulane event (in any sport) and relive that experience, which one would you choose?

This is a tough choice, especailly since there are so many to choose from...not. Well, for me it is not really one I would be going back to...I wasn't there in the first place. It would be Tulane beating LSU in Tiger Staduim in 1982. We simply could not procure tickets for that game so we watched the game from the Tulane Arena. So I would have to go back and actually be there in person in Tiger Stadium that night in '82. Only time we beat them in that stadium in my lifetime.

Fan since '54

Post subject: Re: If you could go back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

I was there, it was great.

I'd go back to almost any point in the 1979 football season. A terrific, well-rounded team playing in front of good and growing crowds all year. We were cool, for goodness' sake.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm 
President's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Okay say you could somehow go back to one Tulane event (in any sport) and relive that experience, which one would you choose?

This is a tough choice, especailly since there are so many to choose from...not. Well, for me it is not really one I would be going back to...I wasn't there in the first place. It would be Tulane beating LSU in Tiger Staduim in 1982. We simply could not procure tickets for that game so we watched the game from the Tulane Arena. So I would have to go back and actually be there in person in Tiger Stadium that night in '82. Only time we beat them in that stadium in my lifetime.

Fan since '54

This. I was unable to attend since I was born just two months after it. I would have loved to have seen it with my father. Hopefully I will get to see Tulane beat LSU in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

Bedroom gymnastic events count?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:

Windy just confirming his wife doesn't read the message board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

Windy just confirming his wife doesn't read the message board.

Does anyone's besides prof?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:52 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:

Not without accompanying videos. :roll:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

I was at the 82 game as well along with some of my closest friends. People tend to forget just how good that LSU team was with a number of their players going on to have NFL careers. One thing that always stands out in my memory was going into LSU's Student Center to get a bite to eat before the game and overhearing some Tiger fans seriously wondering if their scoreboard could hit 100 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:56 pm 
Navigator Level

The '98 Liberty only because I was on an effing cruise ship that effing day.

Maybe the '40 sugar bowl - 4 months after the start of WWII. #1 A&M v #5 TU w 73,000 in attendance. One of College Football great players A&Ms Kimbrough scores late TD to rally over TU 14-13. The two TU TDs were the first given up since game 5. One of the best ever defenses, A&M up to that point had gave up a total of 18 points. TU scored 13.

The '73, '79, '81 and '82 wins v lsu are all very fresh in my memory. I can still smell the peanuts.

I have yet to see a TU team win a bowl game in my life in person. May this be my year so I can say I want to relive that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

Even the '72 loss to lsu in Tulane Stadium. It was heart breaking, but all Tulane fans who were there walked away with the belief/realization that Tulane would be winning in '73 - and being there for both was the best. But one other victory over lsu ranks right up there - the '82 NIT win in BR. What a great win over a deck of a coach.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
Even the '72 loss to lsu in Tulane Stadium. It was heart breaking, but all Tulane fans who were there walked away with the belief/realization that Tulane would be winning in '73 - and being there for both was the best. But one other victory over lsu ranks right up there - the '82 NIT win in BR. What a great win over a deck of a coach.

Absolutely sr. I knew right then and there that the 25 years of frustration would end in 364 days.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

Tulane- LSU November, 1979, closely followed by Tulane-LSU November, 1981. The Superdome was electric. I was inebriated 3 times at one of the days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm 
President's Circle

The '98 Liberty Bowl was pretty special, especially when Jordan ran back the interception right in front of the Tulane stands. High fiving and hugging total strangers--it was very special. The rout was on and so was the undefeated season. Probably won't happen again in my lifetime, but if it does, I will be there.

The other one would be the '81 LSU game when we ran a fake FG attempt and scored a TD to make it 48-7. It would have made my life complete. But I wasn't there.

I wouldn't choose the '82 game because I had dinner with a girl I was dating who had gone to LSU, and met her parents who were HUGE LSU fans. Her Dad was very smug the whole night about the game while I was very humble. When I learned later that we had won, the girl was so embarrassed for her father and bummed that they had lost. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:56 pm 
President's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
The '98 Liberty Bowl was pretty special, especially when Jordan ran back the interception right in front of the Tulane stands. High fiving and hugging total strangers--it was very special. The rout was on and so was the undefeated season. Probably won't happen again in my lifetime, but if it does, I will be there.

The other one would be the '81 LSU game when we ran a fake FG attempt and scored a TD to make it 48-7. It would have made my life complete. But I wasn't there.

I wouldn't choose the '82 game because I had dinner with a girl I was dating who had gone to LSU, and met her parents who were HUGE LSU fans. Her Dad was very smug the whole night about the game while I was very humble. When I learned later that we had won, the girl was so embarrassed for her father and bummed that they had lost. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

The idea of his daughter possibly playing bedroom gymnastics with a Tulane fan on that night of all nights in particular probably made the situation more amplified.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:10 pm 
Regent's Circle

While there are only 13 replies so far I am totally surprised that football is the only sport (well, except for bedroom gymnastics) metioned. :roll:

Fan since '54

Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
While there are only 13 replies so far I am totally surprised that football is the only sport (well, except for bedroom gymnastics) metioned. :roll:

Fan since '54

… the NIT ain't football … :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:21 pm 
Navigator Level

Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

Our AD gets us: "Football consumes us.".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

I find anyone not picking bedroom gymnastics whilst they were in school suspect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:28 pm 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

… the NIT ain't football … :wink:

Missed that one. But I was thinking about something else.

FS'54

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

The Liberty Bowl has to be my favorite event as well. The Thanksgiving game to finish the regular season undefeated was pretty special too.

On second thought, maybe the announcement of the Scelfo hiring is the event I’d go back to and make sure that debacle never takes place.

The 2 super regionals would be my next 2 if talking events attended. A trip to Omaha is something I want to experience.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:01 pm 
Cornerstone

sr wrote:
... What a great win over a deck of a coach.
I'm puzzling over whether you substituted a "d" for an "h" or an "e" for an "i."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote:
sr wrote:
... What a great win over a deck of a coach.
I'm puzzling over whether you substituted a "d" for an "h" or an "e" for an "i."

We're talking Dale Brown here - the 'd' sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

I’ll be weird here and say Tulane MBB’s 4 OT loss to the Tar Heels in 1976 in the Superdome. It was the most gut wrenching, exhausting, heart pounding back and forth I have ever experienced in any sport anytime in my life. I think at the time it was the longest game in college history. UNC had Mitch Kupchak, Walter Davis and Phil Ford among all its blue chippers. We had 6’7” Phil Hicks and Terry Cummings, not exactly well known on Tobacco Road. We had them on the ropes several times but they forced us into a ton of turnovers and we eventually ran out of bodies.

I remember coming back to campus and being absolutely exhausted, and we were only spectators. That’s the closest I’ll ever come to a moral victory.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:59 pm 
Navigator Level

Two: The 1992 Alabama game when Jerald Sowell scored a 98 yard TD run.

And the 2003 Hawaii Bowl. I wanted to go, but Coach Hullabaloo refused and I couldn’t get him to budge. He thought we’d go next time. And then my goodness The Review. I haven’t quite forgiven him that we of all people weren’t there.

Ok, maybe three as I can’t forget this one: http://hullabaloohuddle.blogspot.com/2010/10/dont-cry-for-me.html Elaine Toledo asked me at the next game what I thought about the exciting finish and I was so upset to tell her I missed it. Elaine was such a class act.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

Metro Conference titles and NCAA appearances and all, I choose...

Tulane against #22 UNO in Fogelman, 1991.

Gut-wrenching, exhausting, heart-pounding, double OT, sent there by a 40-foot prayer, both teams playing subs after several starters fouled out, everyone stepping up and making big plays. Down 5 points in the final 8 seconds, Tulane hits a ridiculous three falling out of bounds, gets a steal, and David Whitmore hits a buzzer three to win it. And I was only sitting on the bench in a coat and tie as a redshirt, watching with the rest of the SRO crowd (though I did make it on the highlight below briefly, rushing to celebrate with Whitmore).

The Sportscenter clip doesn't come close to doing it justice...