Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:44 am 
Regent's Circle

The opening game TV ratings for the NFL have dropped over 24% from '15 to '18. And it has declined each of the 3 years since '15. This is a bad sign for the league. And with all of this political mumbo jumbo going on, this trend has no end in sight in the foreseeable future. So what game will be the one that is the next "America's Game"?

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm 
President's Circle

NASCAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

A friend posted something like this on Facebook and, while I didn't participate, I watched the comments on the thread balloon to over 300...

Basically I kinda agree with the folks in that thread who said the replacement will be "nothing". In other words, "spectator sports" are dying - not necessarily from lack of participants (though that may be some of it, at least for some sports), but lack of spectators. Every year the public finds more and more things to do *other than* watching sports. It will be really interesting to see what happens to the size of sports TV contracts (and associated player salaries?) when they are re-upped in 5, 10, 15 years from now.

For many, it's computers, the internet, social media, and just the availability of all media at any time. It used to be somewhat of a bother to go to a movie or rent a movie, and old TV shows were just not available at all, but now you can watch ANY of it at the mere press of a button. There was a time when a sporting event was one of four things on your TV at one time. Then it was one or two of maybe forty, then it was maybe 6 out of 300. Now, thanks to streaming, sporting events are what, maybe 30 out of 500,000 things available?

Personally, for me, it's my kids. As they have gotten older and more involved in things, I have less and less time for anything else. Not to be sexist, but while plenty of women love watching sports, there is no denying that the majority of sports-watching is by males... perhaps this is a result of the cultural shift which has occurred in America in the past 40 or so years, where dads are just plain more involved in the family than previously. Of the 40 or 50 dads around my age with whom I interact (neighborhood, local community, kids' school), I honestly can't think of ANY of them who regularly consume sports on TV (or live in person) like when we were single, or married pre-kids - whereas it seems like, historically, having kids didn't really used to change it much. Almost all of these guys avidly watched sports before having kids, but hardly any of them watch much more than their college alma mater's games and the local NFL team game now. Hardly anyone stays up to watch Monday or Thursday Night Football (if it's not their team) like it seemed EVERYONE used to. Hardly anyone has the time to watch college football all day Saturday, like we used to. Hardly anyone bothers to even tune into the local MLB team on TV anymore, and most only go to games in person if they get free tickets through work. I know a dozen big Ohio State football fans and they drive up for a game in Columbus *maybe* once every three years, if that (no one I know has season tickets). I don't know any young dads with UC football or UC or Xavier basketball season tickets. It's just changing priorities, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:37 pm 
President's Circle

What?!? Having children changes your life? I'm not supposed to watch sports anymore? Someone warn windy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
A friend posted something like this on Facebook and, while I didn't participate, I watched the comments on the thread balloon to over 300...

Basically I kinda agree with the folks in that thread who said the replacement will be "nothing". In other words, "spectator sports" are dying - not necessarily from lack of participants (though that may be some of it, at least for some sports), but lack of spectators. Every year the public finds more and more things to do *other than* watching sports. It will be really interesting to see what happens to the size of sports TV contracts (and associated player salaries?) when they are re-upped in 5, 10, 15 years from now.

For many, it's computers, the internet, social media, and just the availability of all media at any time. It used to be somewhat of a bother to go to a movie or rent a movie, and old TV shows were just not available at all, but now you can watch ANY of it at the mere press of a button. There was a time when a sporting event was one of four things on your TV at one time. Then it was one or two of maybe forty, then it was maybe 6 out of 300. Now, thanks to streaming, sporting events are what, maybe 30 out of 500,000 things available?

Personally, for me, it's my kids. As they have gotten older and more involved in things, I have less and less time for anything else. Not to be sexist, but while plenty of women love watching sports, there is no denying that the majority of sports-watching is by males... perhaps this is a result of the cultural shift which has occurred in America in the past 40 or so years, where dads are just plain more involved in the family than previously. Of the 40 or 50 dads around my age with whom I interact (neighborhood, local community, kids' school), I honestly can't think of ANY of them who regularly consume sports on TV (or live in person) like when we were single, or married pre-kids - whereas it seems like, historically, having kids didn't really used to change it much. Almost all of these guys avidly watched sports before having kids, but hardly any of them watch much more than their college alma mater's games and the local NFL team game now. Hardly anyone stays up to watch Monday or Thursday Night Football (if it's not their team) like it seemed EVERYONE used to. Hardly anyone has the time to watch college football all day Saturday, like we used to. Hardly anyone bothers to even tune into the local MLB team on TV anymore, and most only go to games in person if they get free tickets through work. I know a dozen big Ohio State football fans and they drive up for a game in Columbus *maybe* once every three years, if that (no one I know has season tickets). I don't know any young dads with UC football or UC or Xavier basketball season tickets. It's just changing priorities, I guess.

Accurate on every level.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

From my youth through my early 30s I was an avid MLB and Cincinnati Reds fan (attending 40ish games a year in my early childhood, and 15-20 even after living 7 hours away, and watching part of literally every Reds game on TV, and the World Series whoever played ), an avid college football fan (following the entire nation, but also having season tickets to one team, first VMI, then Tulane), moderate fan of college basketball (going to most games of "my" team), and at least lukewarm watching NFL playoffs and maybe an NBA championship if it included a player or team I was interested in.

As it currently stands: I haven't watched an NFL game since the Saints' Super Bowl (and don't miss it). Haven't watched even a minute of the NBA since well before that. Haven't been to a Men's college basketball game in 3 years, and only went to one women's last year. Haven't watched a single inning of MLB in 5 years, and don't even know who won the Series last year. And for college football really only watch (and closely follow) Tulane, though I do at least read and listen to some college football sports news nationally to have an idea.

There are many contributing factors: parenthood, traveling more (especially in summer), cutting cable cords making it cost money to buy channels for single games.

But the truth is, given unlimited time and money, I don't think I'd watch any more than I currently do. I'm at my peak level of interest right now.

And it's easy to write me off as "not a real sports fan" based on this. But here's the thing: I clearly was. I lived ate and breathed sports, and had teams I was passionate about. I'd stay up late watching australian rules football because I'd watch ANY sport. So make fun of me if you want (that's truly fine), but I also represent a demographic shift that I think is wider. And more troubling to the future of sports: many people a decade or more younger than me don't even have the past/history of being a sports nut.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

All ratings are way down due to cord-cutters. NFL ratings are down less which means that the gap between NFL and "regular" shows is only increasing. For those worried about rights fees, Fox just "won" the Thursday night package which was a substantial increase over the previous deal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

Interestingly NOLA ratings were number two nationally after Philly.

Fox (planning post Disney) business strategy is clearly grounded on live sports. No guess if it will help AAC in upcoming contract negotiations but FS1 did in effect finance Big East Catholic League spinoff last go round.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Perfectly written, both Pete and WaveProf. An amalgamation of both of your writings describes me and many like me. When there was vanilla, strawberry and chocolate to chose from I enthusiastically supported 2 out of 3 but when it went to 31 Flavors, it got a bit more difficult. Now with thousands of choices and still the same hours in a day a lot of things fall off the priority list. As I age I make it a priority to connect more with actual people so there are frequent dinners and get togethers not focused on sports, whereas pre-child the sporting event WAS the reason for the get together. Nothing wrong with either, just life changes.

As much as I detested the Jack Welch cult of personality when I worked in GE the one thing I learned is if you are not growing you are dying. These sports infrastructures both financial and literal that were conceived during a different time better evolve with the population’s interest shifts. There aren’t three TV channels anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
And it's easy to write me off as "not a real sports fan" based on this. But here's the thing: I clearly was. I lived ate and breathed sports, and had teams I was passionate about. I'd stay up late watching australian rules football because I'd watch ANY sport. So make fun of me if you want (that's truly fine), but I also represent a demographic shift that I think is wider. And more troubling to the future of sports: many people a decade or more younger than me don't even have the past/history of being a sports nut.
Exactly. The folks like you and I (and those here who seem to be agreeing) grew up in world where people still made time for sports viewing, but you have to think about how ALL of our kids are growing up in a world where sports watching is NOT a focus. Just like how we here always talk about the generations of Wave fans lost, how college freshmen today weren't alive when we went undefeated, how it will take kids growing up with Tulane as a winner in order to grow the fanbase... well, these same kids are growing up with NO SPORTS being a priority. How are we growing a Tulane fanbase when the whole of sports is becoming an afterthought? And this isn't even mentioning the football concussion concerns...

ml wave wrote:
For those worried about rights fees, Fox just "won" the Thursday night package which was a substantial increase over the previous deal.
But there has to be a bubble that's going to burst, right? At some point, the advertisers (who allow these networks to justify paying these sums for these rights packages) are gonna look at the declining numbers and say "no", right? And then they all start seeing what ESPN has been seeing: numbers in the red and layoffs. It's not sustainable.

On the specific note you mention, I've always suspected Fox's intent with FS1 is to make a run at stealing the "go-to" sports broadcasting mantle away from ESPN. To be, if you will, "the station that every TV in every bar in America defaults to" (as ESPN has been for decades). I think the Thursday night thing is a sign of desperation, of them just trying to get their hands on any "big name" event they can. And I suspect it's going to backfire on the corporation for the reasons that this entire thread discusses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

I agree with everything written so far how a significant cultural shift is going on. We just don't know where it will evolve into. The hints we're getting now is potentially dramatic drops in viewership for sports. As I continue my quest to eventually cut the cord I see that Sling TV offers a very attractive offer.........with no ESPN. Clearly they've seen market studies that show them that there is a significant market out there for that.

One thing I've read that keeps advertisers still shelling out the $$$ for live sports events is that, if you're watching a live event (and most sports fans will) that means you're not taping and thus sit through the commercials. So if you plant your beer commercial after a timeout, chances are people will see it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
For those worried about rights fees, Fox just "won" the Thursday night package which was a substantial increase over the previous deal.
But there has to be a bubble that's going to burst, right? At some point, the advertisers (who allow these networks to justify paying these sums for these rights packages) are gonna look at the declining numbers and say "no", right? And then they all start seeing what ESPN has been seeing: numbers in the red and layoffs. It's not sustainable.

On the specific note you mention, I've always suspected Fox's intent with FS1 is to make a run at stealing the "go-to" sports broadcasting mantle away from ESPN. To be, if you will, "the station that every TV in every bar in America defaults to" (as ESPN has been for decades). I think the Thursday night thing is a sign of desperation, of them just trying to get their hands on any "big name" event they can. And I suspect it's going to backfire on the corporation for the reasons that this entire thread discusses.

Shrug emoji? Companies will still have advertising budgets, and will still spend on the NFL until there's a better alternative. NFL games were 37 of the top 50 highest rated shows last year and are mostly DVR-proof. Fox isn't putting the NFL on FS1, are they? I thought it would be on "big Fox", but would be interesting strategy on FS1 considering a much less popular NFL legitimized Fox itself as a network initially. Personally, I think the thing that will ultimately diminish the NFL is the idiotic way it is being run which is affecting play on the field. They've got a giant lead in popularity, but I could see the NBA/some form of soccer substantially eating into that over the next decade-ish.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm 
Regent's Circle

Prof you sound a lot like me. I have select teams I do watch in football, baseball & hockey, but havn't watched an NBA game in 30 years...really. I watch the Wave & Saints in football, the Yankees in Baseball, and the Penguins in Hockey and sometimes other games in the NHL amd MLB playoffs.. That is about it, except for a few college football games here and there, especially the "Rivalry" games. I also believe that the attention span of younger fans is very slim. Again thanks to social media. Back then you watched the games and you weren't interested what Joe, Ann, Tom and Mary were doing every moment...at least until the games were over.

To me, it was more fun "back in the day" and those days weren't really all that long ago. And today you can't say "the more things change, the more they stay the same". It's not true anymore.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 pm 
President's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
And today you can't say "the more things change, the more they stay the same". It's not true anymore.

Fan since '54

Although, old people still grumble about how things were better "back in the day" so....

And you're a Yankees fan? Ugh it's worse than I thought!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

More than anything I think it is the players being paid too much collectively while being primadonna jag offs. Throw in free agency and there's no authentic connection to the team anymore. Fantasy football is part of it too. Tickets are too expensive and if you're at home you get distracted whereas at a game you won't be as likely to do so. Rant suspended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
More than anything I think it is the players being paid too much collectively while being primadonna jag offs. Throw in free agency and there's no authentic connection to the team anymore. Fantasy football is part of it too. Tickets are too expensive and if you're at home you get distracted whereas at a game you won't be as likely to do so. Rant suspended

We’ve heard the pay day thing often but I can honestly say it isn’t a factor for me. If the market didn’t support it the owners wouldn’t do it. I made a respectable salary before I retired only because the market demanded it. There were prima donnas in my profession too and they got the job done.

Free agency—I’ll give you that. My comeuppance year’s ago was when Roger Clemens left the Red Sox to go to the Yankees. That would be like a Cold Warrior working for the Russians. :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 pm 
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
Although, old people still grumble about how things were better "back in the day" so....

And you're a Yankees fan? Ugh it's worse than I thought!
Back when '54 and I were growing up, there were no major league teams below the latitude of Washington, DC. The team we heard about the most was they Yankees. Those of us who ate, drank, and slept baseball formed a deep and lasting attachment. I grew up reading the biographies of Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

We’ve heard the pay day thing often but I can honestly say it isn’t a factor for me. If the market didn’t support it the owners wouldn’t do it. I made a respectable salary before I retired only because the market demanded it. There were prima donnas in my profession too and they got the job done.

Free agency—I’ll give you that. My comeuppance year’s ago was when Roger Clemens left the Red Sox to go to the Yankees. That would be like a Cold Warrior working for the Russians. :razz:

Clemens left the Red Sox and went to the Toronto Blue Jays, then left Toronto after two years for the Yankees. Must be how LSU fans upset that Nick Saban left the Dolphins to coach Alabama feel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:47 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Clemens left the Red Sox and went to the Toronto Blue Jays, then left Toronto after two years for the Yankees. Must be how LSU fans upset that Nick Saban left the Dolphins to coach Alabama feel.

Yup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yup
Hey, so he went to Russia via a Warsaw Pact country. Same difference. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:09 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yup
Hey, so he went to Russia via a Warsaw Pact country. Same difference. :lol:

You can't do that directly anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yup

Lol, just noticed the expanded hashtag...love it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm 
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yup

? What hashtag would that be?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:16 pm 
President's Circle

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yup

? What hashtag would that be?

On my signature, I'm guessing