Why don't outstanding game-changing QB's come to Tulane?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.

Poll ended at Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Admission requirements and academics are too tough
9%
Yulman is a high school stadium
11%
Coach Fritz's offense is unattractive
13%
The AAC is not a Power conference
28%
I have no idea how 18 year-olds make decisions
39%

Total votes: 46

CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Thought you folks might want to take this poll.

There was not room for the choice "We don't have enough good NOLA recruiting connections".
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: Why don't outstanding game-changing QB's come to Tulane?

Post by Ray »

Actually, not many schools attract game-changing Qbs.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

And here I thought it was due to the lack of hot chocolate in Yulman
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:And here I thought it was due to the lack of hot chocolate in Yulman
NCAA rules prohibit it at stadiums locsted in states that seceded
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Ray wrote:Actually, not many schools attract game-changing Qbs.
Exactly, and the few out there don't go to schools who have counted winning seasons on one hand in the last quarter century.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

There was a highly rated QB in Johnson City a few decades ago who was heavily recruited by UT coaching legend General Neyland. He ended up at Florida because he wanted to pass the ball, and Neyland told him that UT was a running team and would not change. Steve Spurrier angered Tennessee fans and locals, but won the Heisman.

Not every QB is that good, although many see themselves that way. The new OC should make some take a second look.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Great poll. You managed a true range of options including throwing a bone to the igloo crew (all two of them) who hate playing uptown.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Tanner Lee was a game-changing qb.
He needed to work on the “outstanding” part.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

BC Wave wrote:Tanner Lee was a game-changing qb.
CJ thought he was outstanding. Golly!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
CJ thought he was outstanding. Golly!
Well, some thought he "stood out"!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Heh. Yeah, be careful what you wish for.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

It's a far more stable and better long term strategy to get a coach who puts good QB's in a position to make game changing plays than trying to find those few in a decade talents.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

I refuse to respond ...high school stadium... are you kidding me?.. build the program and build the support - then see where the current trends dictate you spend your $. No Fan of dickson, for alot of reasons - but the stadium was the right move. fritz will start to fill it . get a championship - build an addition. but to post that BS is counter productive ... every effort should be to build the program -

but "HS stadium" - very counter productive >>>> reversing 30 years of mis management - is not easy and we are on the path ... why such a negative poll? we all know that the BS BCS controls all the cash... waited a long time for a prof.coach and coaching staff...we are on our way... public reads it - why the backhanded negativity.....you are your worst enemy!.
total BS... you deserve what you get!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I thought we all knew this was tongue in cheek
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

RI WAVE wrote:I refuse to respond ...high school stadium... are you kidding me?.. !
Kids from top programs in Texas play in bigger better stadiums almost every Friday night, tough sell but a fact.

That said I believe it has more to do with Conference and historical record when it comes to recruiting.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

double d wrote:
RI WAVE wrote:I refuse to respond ...high school stadium... are you kidding me?.. !
Kids from top programs in Texas play in bigger better stadiums almost every Friday night, tough sell but a fact.

That said I believe it has more to do with Conference and historical record when it comes to recruiting.
Perhaps the case is those kids play in college stadiums. Citing the 0.01% of highs schools as your example is not being honest about the situation.

That is like talking about Alabama's coaches salary as if it were the norm for all D1 football.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

RI WAVE wrote:I refuse to respond ...high school stadium... are you kidding me?.. build the program and build the support - then see where the current trends dictate you spend your $. No Fan of dickson, for alot of reasons - but the stadium was the right move. fritz will start to fill it . get a championship - build an addition. but to post that BS is counter productive ... every effort should be to build the program -

but "HS stadium" - very counter productive >>>> reversing 30 years of mis management - is not easy and we are on the path ... why such a negative poll? we all know that the BS BCS controls all the cash... waited a long time for a prof.coach and coaching staff...we are on our way... public reads it - why the backhanded negativity.....you are your worst enemy!.
total BS... you deserve what you get!
Sorry to offend you. I set up this poll as an honest reflection of views I have seen on this board. Have you not observed this comment before? A poll only allows 5 options or I would have included other views as well.
Bob Knight
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

It's a lot of factors, but I think the biggest one was CWF misspeaking in his first interview about his offense, then not being aggressive enough in knocking it down afterwards. In total context, it was clear what he wanted to run, but in a soundbite it sounded like a triple option. He kept explaining for years, but not aggresively enough, and nothing could take back the soundbite. Pretty soon us running a triple option was a talking point for every broadcaster doing games, its what high school coaches (who aren't always that smart nor engaged) heard, and heck even some of our own fans still think we were trying to run a "high school" triple option offense. It was a problem with perception far more than it was with reality, and it kept us from getting the talent necessary to run it leaving us, ironically, running something closer to what people imagined, and reinforcing the image.

Hopefully the new OC helps change that image regardless of if he changes a lot or a little from what CWF originally wanted to do
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

WaveProf wrote:It's a lot of factors, but I think the biggest one was CWF misspeaking in his first interview about his offense, then not being aggressive enough in knocking it down afterwards. In total context, it was clear what he wanted to run, but in a soundbite it sounded like a triple option. He kept explaining for years, but not aggresively enough, and nothing could take back the soundbite. Pretty soon us running a triple option was a talking point for every broadcaster doing games, its what high school coaches (who aren't always that smart nor engaged) heard, and heck even some of our own fans still think we were trying to run a "high school" triple option offense. It was a problem with perception far more than it was with reality, and it kept us from getting the talent necessary to run it leaving us, ironically, running something closer to what people imagined, and reinforcing the image.

Hopefully the new OC helps change that image regardless of if he changes a lot or a little from what CWF originally wanted to do
Totally agree on this point. I can remember ESPN color analysts commenting on Tulane's "triple option" game. That was damaging and seemed to take on a life of its own in spite of what everyone was seeing (a run-heavy inside zone read).
Looking forward to resolving that self-inflicted wound this season.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Why don't outstanding game-changing polls come to this board?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

FW wrote:Why don't outstanding game-changing polls come to this board?
because yogwf is a high school forum
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

FW wrote:Why don't outstanding game-changing polls come to this board?
ALERT!!!

So you didn't think this was a start in that direction?

SARCASM!
Bob Knight
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:It's a lot of factors, but I think the biggest one was CWF misspeaking in his first interview about his offense, then not being aggressive enough in knocking it down afterwards. In total context, it was clear what he wanted to run, but in a soundbite it sounded like a triple option. He kept explaining for years, but not aggresively enough, and nothing could take back the soundbite. Pretty soon us running a triple option was a talking point for every broadcaster doing games, its what high school coaches (who aren't always that smart nor engaged) heard, and heck even some of our own fans still think we were trying to run a "high school" triple option offense. It was a problem with perception far more than it was with reality, and it kept us from getting the talent necessary to run it leaving us, ironically, running something closer to what people imagined, and reinforcing the image.

Unfortunately he has said it many more times publicly since that initial quote. He continued to say it at times in interviews this season. We were all hoping he recognized the damage it causes but to this point he hasn't stopped using the term.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:

Unfortunately he has said it many more times publicly since that initial quote. He continued to say it at times in interviews this season. We were all hoping he recognized the damage it causes but to this point he hasn't stopped using the term.
The offense we put on the field is (has been) much more damaging than press conference quotes.