Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

Willi Fritz #9. 1 & 2 are Mike Norvell & Luke Fickell.

Quote:
The Green Wave have the top recruiting ranking among Group of Five schools, as Fritz has won the respect of local coaches and maximized the school’s national brand. He’s been a head coach since 1993 and won everywhere he’s been – JUCO, DII FCS. That would give ADs at disadvantaged schools confidence he could win there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/which-college-football-coaches-will-get-plucked-for-bigger-jobs-next-year/ar-AAFKsFp?ocid=spartandhp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:52 pm 
President's Circle

...so 80% of G5 coaches with a winning team. After 2020 seems more likely for CWF and Hall. This is Halls 4th team in four years. I think he stays here more that a year. Knock on wood, I think were stable through 2020.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 pm 
Cornerstone

I don't know why I'm even getting into this (and if Fritz does leave, it'll mean we have another good year), but he'll be 60 at the start of the 2020 season. Just something to throw out there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:58 pm 
Regent's Circle

FW wrote:
I don't know why I'm even getting into this (and if Fritz does leave, it'll mean we have another good year), but he'll be 60 at the start of the 2020 season. Just something to throw out there.

As has been noted regularly here, FBS hiring is subject to rampant ageism. Less than 10% of annual HC hires are in their sixties and some years, it's been only one or none. Could Fritz leave? Sure but I'm starting to think more and more that he could be Tulane's Bill Snyder. Success like his at KSU would be awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 am 
Navigator Level

Sooner or later it would be nice to have a successful coach stay on and build the winner that we know is possible with the local talent that's available. I don't know what WF's buyout is but whatever it is, (A) he's bumping up against the "ageism" issue and (B) may be realizing that the Tulane job with competitive financial offerings and a school, fan base, and city starved for a consistent winner could be more fun than trying to satisfy some that have been to the top of the mountain and are struggling to get back. Of course I'm looking through green glasses with a love for New Orleans and all it can mean to someone who acclimates to all it has to offer. From all I've heard, WF seems to like the area.

Whatever happens, it won't happen w/o winning. So what we wish for may work against us. But we are used to that scenario, so just win baby and deal with what happens as a result. Get ready Mr TD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 am 
Emerald Circle

the conference we play in may be a factor as well, bumping up against the P5 conferences and certainly no Sun Belt. The challenge may something he enjoys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm 
Breaker Level

There was a story in The Athletic this week about the 20 assistant coaches that will be moving on to bigger jobs after this season and Will Hall was one of them. Said that he was either going to be the OC at an SEC school or get hired by Southern Miss to be their head coach. Of course, if WF was hired away after this season maybe he's our replacement...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

At his age, WF would have to have one HECK of a year to get hired away. If we have a very good one, but short of that, we'll likely lose Hall, but that shouldn't be a huge worry, I'd trust WF to get the right replacement. And by next year he'll fully have the personel to run the offense he's been trying to run all along (taking some pressure off of the OC to be a whiz).

Meanwhile, if Fritz DOES manage to have one HECK of a year (and get hired away), then that means Hall had one HECK of a year too, so we simply hire him as HC to keep him. If he keeps winning he'll leave too after a year or two, but by then we'll be well established as a winner (and will have had almost a fully 4 class recruiting cycle where we want it), so no worries so long as TD makes a good hire.

Nothing bad can come from us winning. The only way we mess this up is not winning, in which case we don't have to worry about anyone leaving.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:59 pm 
Coach Level

Well said Prof!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm 
Coach Level

I hope we are fretting losing him from early on this season. If we do lose him it likely means we won a NY6 Bowl. To do that the new offense will have worked well and Hall would be the obvious choice. This time our AD makes the right call. Looking forward to the season. It will tell us all we need to know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
At his age, WF would have to have one HECK of a year to get hired away. If we have a very good one, but short of that, we'll likely lose Hall, but that shouldn't be a huge worry, I'd trust WF to get the right replacement. And by next year he'll fully have the personel to run the offense he's been trying to run all along (taking some pressure off of the OC to be a whiz).

Meanwhile, if Fritz DOES manage to have one HECK of a year (and get hired away), then that means Hall had one HECK of a year too, so we simply hire him as HC to keep him. If he keeps winning he'll leave too after a year or two, but by then we'll be well established as a winner (and will have had almost a fully 4 class recruiting cycle where we want it), so no worries so long as TD makes a good hire.

Nothing bad can come from us winning. The only way we mess this up is not winning, in which case we don't have to worry about anyone leaving.

I don't think Hall leaves after this year. As I said earlier this is his 4th school in 4 years. I suspect he wouldn't mind sticking around for a couple of years. The only way he leaves is for a HC gig at lower school or OC in the SEC. Ole miss, Miss St, Arky, TAMU, are all set. Maybe he goes to Kentucky, USC-e, or Auburn if Malzahn's staff gets canned. I get where you're coming from but I think most schools will want to see more than one year's work. He almost went Ole Miss last year. I think that was an exception. The Ole Miss Head coach is a friend of his and he has a lot of Ole miss connections (think about it, why would an SEC school hire a position coach from a G5 as their OC). I think that is why he was considered for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:00 am 
Cornerstone

washwave wrote:
There was a story in The Athletic this week about the 20 assistant coaches that will be moving on to bigger jobs after this season and Will Hall was one of them. Said that he was either going to be the OC at an SEC school or get hired by Southern Miss to be their head coach. Of course, if WF was hired away after this season maybe he's our replacement...

Did they say in so many words that Hall might go to USM next year? Strange. USM isn’t going to fire Hopson barring a very unlikely collapse but he’s also unlikely to get hired away after this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
washwave wrote:

Did they say in so many words that Hall might go to USM next year? Strange. USM isn’t going to fire Hopson barring a very unlikely collapse but he’s also unlikely to get hired away after this season.

Maybe they are projecting Hopson gets canned because of his dalliance with Art Briles behind the back of the administration? That still probably takes a bad year from them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 pm 
Breaker Level

Quote:

Here's exactly what he (Bruce Feldman) said -

"He was the runner up for the Troy head coaching job and probably will be an option for some offensive coordinator jobs in the SEC in the winter or the head coaching job at Southern Miss if it opens."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

didn't he just turn down the OC job at Ole Miss to stay here? Last time I looked Ole Miss was still in the SEC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
I hope we are fretting losing him from early on this season. If we do lose him it likely means we won a NY6 Bowl. To do that the new offense will have worked well and Hall would be the obvious choice. This time our AD makes the right call. Looking forward to the season. It will tell us all we need to know.

That’s quite a reach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm 
President's Circle

I think the media suffers from boredom during the Summer and tries to find ways to create content. Several of the coaches on that list of G5 coaches won't go anywhere. The service academy coaches aren't leaving. Blake Anderson isn't going anywhere right now. I really don't think Fritz would leave unless something crazy happened. The AAC is a pretty good conference and I think coaches are starting to take notice. You get paid north of $1 million a year to coach in a competitive conference with schools who aren't going to fire you for not winning a national title or going to a New Years 6 bowl. Holgorson left WVU for Houston and signed a cost prohibitive buyout. He doesn't do that if the AAC isn't a good place to coach.

As for assistants, you never know. We need Will Hall right now to show us the way. I wouldn't be surprised if Hall is here 2 years. If that's the case, Cody Kennedy may get a chance to show his worth and be our next OC? He'd have 5-6 years in the Hall system at that point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
didn't he just turn down the OC job at Ole Miss to stay here? Last time I looked Ole Miss was still in the SEC.

I am led to believe he had the inside track because of his friendship Luke and Ole Miss Powers that be. That's what Ole Miss people have said.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:55 pm 
President's Circle

TU23 wrote:
I think the media suffers from boredom during the Summer and tries to find ways to create content. Several of the coaches on that list of G5 coaches won't go anywhere. The service academy coaches aren't leaving. Blake Anderson isn't going anywhere right now. I really don't think Fritz would leave unless something crazy happened. The AAC is a pretty good conference and I think coaches are starting to take notice. You get paid north of $1 million a year to coach in a competitive conference with schools who aren't going to fire you for not winning a national title or going to a New Years 6 bowl. Holgorson left WVU for Houston and signed a cost prohibitive buyout. He doesn't do that if the AAC isn't a good place to coach.

As for assistants, you never know. We need Will Hall right now to show us the way. I wouldn't be surprised if Hall is here 2 years. If that's the case, Cody Kennedy may get a chance to show his worth and be our next OC? He'd have 5-6 years in the Hall system at that point.

I agree I think the AAC has become a good place to be for Head coaches. If there is a rub it's the assistants' salaries. I'm not sure the AAC teams are competing with most of the P5's in that realm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Didn't he turn it down bc this is viewed as basically a lame duck season?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:

Unlike with previous Board/President/AD combinations, I have a great deal of confidence that we will do the right thing if our football team has another season similar to 1998.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

true ml, but he had the opportunity to showcase his OC talents on a SEC stage in his home state for at least a year (if not longer). And he passed. Perhaps he thinks 2-3 years as OC at a program like Tulane's that had an anemic Offense and really gets our Offense humming it might be a better foundation to build from. But what do I know :-D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm 
Navigator Level

StPeteWave wrote:
Sooner or later it would be nice to have a successful coach stay on and build the winner that we know is possible with the local talent that's available. I don't know what WF's buyout is but whatever it is, (A) he's bumping up against the "ageism" issue and (B) may be realizing that the Tulane job with competitive financial offerings and a school, fan base, and city starved for a consistent winner could be more fun than trying to satisfy some that have been to the top of the mountain and are struggling to get back.

We too have been to the mountaintop. It was back in the 1940s, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

The concern shouldn’t be with whether or not Fritz leaves, it’s whether or not we can follow him with another solid hire if he were to leave one day. Boise St became a top 25 program with revolving head coaches.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:26 pm 
Coach Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

That’s quite a reach

Not at all.