Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2 ... 298446002/

Posting this here because I believe this is a story that's going to become more and more common unless there is a sea change among young people where they go back to learning the trades, or to studying engineering. Unfortunately I am seeing this in my work daily (engineering consulting; I design/specify but I also go out to the site to observe construction). Contracting companies around here (and regionally from what I'm told, but I imagine nationally as well) are extraordinarily shorthanded. One major company here is taking no new work that starts before June 2020, which is unheard of. This is because they simply cant find enough workers to man the jobs. What that leads to are inexperienced kids working on construction projects, who don't know how things are to be done, and site foremen who are maybe 23-25 years old who only have a few jobs under their belt but are literally the most experienced person at the site. This leads to dozens of unnecessary questions sent to the engineers (wasting everyone's time) at best, and disaster at worst.

Couple that problem with my industry, where experienced professionals are in short supply as well (during the economic downturn a decade ago, many left the field and have not returned, so we have a bunch of young, inexperienced folks and a bunch of old people retiring, and my age bracket is a rare and in-demand breed)... it leads to problems like this and the New Orleans hotel collapse.

I know there was a poster here a year or two ago who I argued with (I don't remember the name), who basically said that mechanical, electrical, structural, and civil engineering (as I know it) are dead and antiquated and unnecessary. My point at the time was "who is going to design buildings?". I'm sure tech-forward stuff is important too, but unless you want to start reading stories like the Hard Rock Hotel and this one above every week, SOMEBODY better learn it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:07 am 
President's Circle

This. Biggest threat to the US economy. Not foreign trade policy, not monetary policy, not taxation, none of that will slow down the economy as quickly as not having skilled workers and technical professionals.

We are not far from the day when manufacutring and other industrial companies start shutting down because they can't physically do the work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

doncecco wrote:
This. Biggest threat to the US economy. Not foreign trade policy, not monetary policy, not taxation, none of that will slow down the economy as quickly as not having skilled workers and technical professionals.
I have several nephews and a niece (and by transitive property, their parents) who contribute(d) mightily to this problem. Kids who show no interest in schooling and are not encouraged nor dare I say pushed by their parents to take and excel at STEM courses. Yet Mom and Dad were sure to buy expensive street hockey gear and travel to useless tournaments and take the niece to 8 years of expensive cheer squad competitions. Now they are in their twenties with no skills, no schooling, no prospects other than busboy and minimum wage retail jobs and the “plan to go to community college” that never happens.

We have met the enemy and it is us.