Moving forward at QB

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
speckled trout
Breaker Level

Moving forward at QB

Post by speckled trout »

Whatever it was that killed the Duffey transfer, academics or optics, it’s done and can’t do anything but move one now.

I feel like we still have a good QB in Keon Howard, he was a highly touted recruit going into So Miss. He started 7 games for them and threw for over 2,000 yards with 9 touchdowns and 9 INT’s. Will have 3 years of learning the offense so he’ll at least be as good as McMillan was.

Fritz could always try to pull another transfer out of the portal, to add depth at this position at the very least.

There’s also Dual threat QB Christian Daniels who should compete for the job, along with incoming freshmen Michael Pratt and Justin Ibieta, both of whom are big time recruits. I’m not sure about the prospects of starting a true freshman at Tulane though. Anyway this is what we have to work with now.
"You are unique, just like everyone else"

waverider
Emerald Circle

Re: Moving forward at QB

Post by waverider »

Someone tweeted a highlight reel of Howard at USM. He makes nice throws but they were mostly to wide open WRs. We won’t know how good he’ll be until he’s facing AAC caliber DBs each week. I think most of the reservations among fans come from not seeing him play enough to know if he is the one that can help us take the next step. The fact we went after Duffey tells me the coaches have their reservations about it as well.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:Someone tweeted a highlight reel of Howard at USM. He makes nice throws but they were mostly to wide open WRs. We won’t know how good he’ll be until he’s facing AAC caliber DBs each week. I think most of the reservations among fans come from not seeing him play enough to know if he is the one that can help us take the next step. The fact we went after Duffey tells me the coaches have their reservations about it as well.
That's welcome news. McMillan had trouble hitting wide open receivers. If Howard does that we will break a lot of our offensive records.
Here we come!

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

speckled trout wrote:Whatever it was that killed the Duffey transfer, academics or optics, it’s done and can’t do anything but move one now.

I feel like we still have a good QB in Keon Howard, he was a highly touted recruit going into So Miss. He started 7 games for them and threw for over 2,000 yards with 9 touchdowns and 9 INT’s. Will have 3 years of learning the offense so he’ll at least be as good as McMillan was.
I’m not sure it works that easily.
And we’ve only had this offense for 1 year and we very well could have another new OC before next season starts.

GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Despite Howard practicing for 2 years, the coaches aggressively recruited a play-now transfer quarterback. I'll go by their actions and conclude that we need a QB. I hope they still have the energy to out and identify and recruit one for next year.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:Someone tweeted a highlight reel of Howard at USM. He makes nice throws but they were mostly to wide open WRs. We won’t know how good he’ll be until he’s facing AAC caliber DBs each week. I think most of the reservations among fans come from not seeing him play enough to know if he is the one that can help us take the next step. The fact we went after Duffey tells me the coaches have their reservations about it as well.
That's welcome news. McMillan had trouble hitting wide open receivers. If Howard does that we will break a lot of our offensive records.
I was thinking the same thing but didn’t want to say it :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

GSx wrote:Despite Howard practicing for 2 years, the coaches aggressively recruited a play-now transfer quarterback. I'll go by their actions and conclude that we need a QB.
In today's transfer-happy market, it's probably safe to say that more coaches than not are actively going after a play-now transfer QB, if they can find one better than their returning options. As Ron Hunter espouses, we need to stop thinking of "transfer" as a dirty word these days. It's the new normal.

G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

If I remember right he had a good Spring game last year with a long TD run.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

G-wave wrote:If I remember right he had a good Spring game last year with a long TD run.

I understand he was facing FCS and 2nd/3rd string CUSA guys, but Howard looked poised, confident and capable when he played this past season. I watched practice for the Armed Forces Bowl and he made the same throws Justin did with a mix of 1s and 2s. I think people are selling him way too short.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

IM42lane
Riptide Level

Post by IM42lane »

Could we just go ahead and refer to the transfer portal as the college sports free agency pool? It serves the same purpose, doesn't it?
A. S. Madere
7816 Board Drive
St. George, LA 70817-6045

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

We will rally around Keon Howard and play good football
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt

GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

PeteRasche wrote:
GSx wrote:Despite Howard practicing for 2 years, the coaches aggressively recruited a play-now transfer quarterback. I'll go by their actions and conclude that we need a QB.
In today's transfer-happy market, it's probably safe to say that more coaches than not are actively going after a play-now transfer QB, if they can find one better than their returning options. As Ron Hunter espouses, we need to stop thinking of "transfer" as a dirty word these days. It's the new normal.
That's true as well, but there was a sense of urgency about this...for a reason.
Fritz hasn't had any issue with players since he's been here. They should respect his judgment - he's earned it.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
That's true as well, but there was a sense of urgency about this...for a reason.
We had a brief flirtation with the out of your league potential prom date that fell apart in a day. We were already renting the tux when Dad said, not so fast. Of course we are crestfallen. Does this make Howard the safety date? Onward and upward.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:We had a brief flirtation with the out of your league potential prom date that fell apart in a day. We were already renting the tux when Dad said, not so fast. Of course we are crestfallen. Does this make Howard the safety date? Onward and upward.

I mean, we're not talking Kate Upton here. Is Jett Duffey a better talent than McMillan even?
Bring home da Wave!

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

doncecco wrote:
TUPF wrote:We had a brief flirtation with the out of your league potential prom date that fell apart in a day. We were already renting the tux when Dad said, not so fast. Of course we are crestfallen. Does this make Howard the safety date? Onward and upward.

I mean, we're not talking Kate Upton here. Is Jett Duffey a better talent than McMillan even?
Yes

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Yes
I still think TUPF's metaphor may have been a little hyperbolic. An "out of our league prom date" would be a Joe Burrow or Jalen Hurts-type QB transfer. A lot of folks here are making Duffey out to have been the savior of Tulane football because it fits the narrative of perpetual misery they need.

If you're like me, your social media accounts are such that a lot of what you see is Tulane-centric (I use twitter almost exclusively for Tulane content, and on Facebook my wall gets blown up by the "Tulane Football Alliance" posters). This makes it feel like this story is a REALLY BIG DEAL. But really... y'all realize how "small potatoes" this whole scenario is, right? Like, we're making it out to be a massive story that social media is blazing over and the whole Tulane fanbase is up-in-arms about. Truthfully there's maybe, what, 200-300 people outside of New Orleans who even are aware of all of this drama? Heck, when almost all non-NOLA folks go to their local alumni chapter Spring crawfish boil, the number of people there who even will have known about this whole chain of events will be countable on your fingers, maybe one hand's worth. If they pay attention to sports at all (most don't), hopefully all the talk will be about the amazing basketball season and how the future is bright under Ron Hunter.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:
FW wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Yes
I still think TUPF's metaphor may have been a little hyperbolic. An "out of our league prom date" would be a Joe Burrow or Jalen Hurts-type QB transfer. A lot of folks here are making Duffey out to have been the savior of Tulane football because it fits the narrative of perpetual misery they need.

If you're like me, your social media accounts are such that a lot of what you see is Tulane-centric (I use twitter almost exclusively for Tulane content, and on Facebook my wall gets blown up by the "Tulane Football Alliance" posters). This makes it feel like this story is a REALLY BIG DEAL. But really... y'all realize how "small potatoes" this whole scenario is, right? Like, we're making it out to be a massive story that social media is blazing over and the whole Tulane fanbase is up-in-arms about. Truthfully there's maybe, what, 200-300 people outside of New Orleans who even are aware of all of this drama? Heck, when almost all non-NOLA folks go to their local alumni chapter Spring crawfish boil, the number of people there who even will have known about this whole chain of events will be countable on your fingers, maybe one hand's worth. If they pay attention to sports at all (most don't), hopefully all the talk will be about the amazing basketball season and how the future is bright under Ron Hunter.
ALERT!!!

I swear to GOD, Pete... if you continue to bring reality and common sense to discussions on this forum, we're going to have to ban you

SARCASM!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
FW wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Yes

Principle of the matter.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pete, no one said Duffey was a savior. He just happens to be a very talented college QB that fit our system like a glove. The best QB that WF would have had during his tenure at Tulane. No big deal at all. Barely noticed it got any attention on the various Tulane message boards.

If, if next year amounts to another .500 campaign, please don’t whine about our talent level not being sufficient to compete with Memphis, UCF, or others. Please don’t go into the tank if the preseason hype doesn’t pan out. And don’t get upset if WF leaves. This is all “small potatoes” for a football program that is trying to raise its profile. For a staff that thought this young man was worthy of a Tulane scholarship. Don’t whine, don’t complain, in the end it only effect 500-600 non-Nola diehards.

A suggestion, send an email telling our coaching staff this systematic situation where they work isn’t a “REALLY BIG DEAL”. Let us know how that bit of reality works out.

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Lets hit the transfer market. :coolshades:

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:No big deal at all. Barely noticed it got any attention on the various Tulane message boards.
Message boards are social media. For the second or third time in three days, you've tried to disagree with me and instead agreed with me. Well done.
tjtlja wrote:If, if next year amounts to another .500 campaign, please don’t whine about our talent level not being sufficient to compete with Memphis, UCF, or others. Please don’t go into the tank if the preseason hype doesn’t pan out. And don’t get upset if WF leaves. This is all “small potatoes” for a football program that is trying to raise its profile. For a staff that thought this young man was worthy of a Tulane scholarship. Don’t whine, don’t complain, in the end it only effect 500-600 non-Nola diehards.

A suggestion, send an email telling our coaching staff this systematic situation where they work isn’t a “REALLY BIG DEAL”. Let us know how that bit of reality works out.

washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

f, if next year amounts to another .500 campaign, please don’t whine about our talent level not being sufficient to compete with Memphis, UCF, or others. Please don’t go into the tank if the preseason hype doesn’t pan out. And don’t get upset if WF leaves. This is all “small potatoes” for a football program that is trying to raise its profile. For a staff that thought this young man was worthy of a Tulane scholarship. Don’t whine, don’t complain, in the end it only effect 500-600 non-Nola diehards.

To play devil's advocate and I'm sure that I'll get killed for saying it, but -

We all wanted a good QB and I'm sure that the coaches are not happy about what happened, but if you work in a big organization you don't always get your way and you are going to disagree with decisions by the higher ups. Willie Fritz gets paid millions and has little to no pressure at Tulane. He was offered essentially a lifetime contract for going 7-6 in two consecutive seasons. If someone comes to him from a power conference school and offers to double his salary, he's leaving no matter who his QB is. Tulane has accepted a number of transfers since WF has been here and our basketball team is essentially all transfers. Will Hall sounds like he's leaving no matter what happened. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the future - maybe Keon Howard becomes the next great TU QB. Maybe another transfer comes together. Tulane has shown significantly more commitment to athletics in the last 5 years than ever before and this doesn't eliminate that. If managed appropriately by our AD, who seems very competent, it can be a speed bump on the way to where we all hope that we're going.

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

washwave wrote:
f, if next year amounts to another .500 campaign, please don’t whine about our talent level not being sufficient to compete with Memphis, UCF, or others. Please don’t go into the tank if the preseason hype doesn’t pan out. And don’t get upset if WF leaves. This is all “small potatoes” for a football program that is trying to raise its profile. For a staff that thought this young man was worthy of a Tulane scholarship. Don’t whine, don’t complain, in the end it only effect 500-600 non-Nola diehards.

We all wanted a good QB and I'm sure that the coaches are not happy about what happened, but if you work in a big organization you don't always get your way and you are going to disagree with decisions by the higher ups. Willie Fritz gets paid millions and has little to no pressure at Tulane. He was offered essentially a lifetime contract for going 7-6 in two consecutive seasons. If someone comes to him from a power conference school and offers to double his salary, he's leaving no matter who his QB is. Tulane has accepted a number of transfers since WF has been here and our basketball team is essentially all transfers. Will Hall sounds like he's leaving no matter what happened. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the future - maybe Keon Howard becomes the next great TU QB. Maybe another transfer comes together. Tulane has shown significantly more commitment to athletics in the last 5 years than ever before and this doesn't eliminate that. If managed appropriately by our AD, who seems very competent, it can be a speed bump on the way to where we all hope that we're going.
Not a devil's advocate position; absolute truth IMHO.

Navigator Level

Post by 1401973 »

washwave wrote:

Of course you are right.
You are going to get "killed" by folks who are big time overreacting and have gone off the rails.
Of course we took in a ton of transfers last year in football. 80% of the scoring of the basketball team is transfers. A quick look at the baseball team shows 13 transfers on the roster.
Don't listen to the noise.

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
FW wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Yes

I follow a bunch of Tulane fans on Twitter as well. I would agree that there’s not really that much talk about it. However just because it’s “small potatoes” to the common/casual fan doesn’t mean that it’s actually small potatoes. There was even less talk in August when we lost our top baseball signee under weird circumstances, but I bet Travis Jewett and Daniel Latham didn’t think it was “small potatoes”.