Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:35 pm 
Regent's Circle

With the new CBA, Tulane will have a great chance of not butting up against a Saints preseason game if we open on Thursday night of Labor Day weekend.. that will now be the NFL kickoff weekend, as well. There is a 1 in 16 chance the Saints will open their regular season that night, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:00 am 
President's Circle

No way the NFL starts Labor Day weekend. No chance. They know that is the last big travel weekend and opportunity to enjoy summer. The more likely scenario is the SB slides out one more week, or they might eliminate the dead week between CC games and SB. They did this for a few years in the 90s, I think, when the bye started, so this is possible.

But you are correct in a sense anyway because I think there is now an extra off week between the 3rd (and last) pre-season game and the start of the regular season, or so one article suggested.

But I don't think any of this takes effect until 2021 at earliest, and from what I read yesterday, likely 2022 before they can work out the logistics (e.g., SBs already scheduled possibly moving out 1 week).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 am 
Regent's Circle

Plus, it would only be like 1 in 31, as it's usually the defending champ opening that Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 am 
Emerald Circle

I would think if the NFL adds a game it would be on the back end. I can’t imaging the NCAA or NFL wanting to open the same weekend as the other, but since they are mostly of differing days, it could happen.

I think doncecco makes a good point about the big travel weekend being a bigger factor.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Plus, it would only be like 1 in 31, as it's usually the defending champ opening that Thursday

let me guess, your degree from Tulane was in Philosophy.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

16 NFL games per week.. Saints play in 1 of them... hence 1 in 16 chance.. defending champ has to play someone, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:57 am 
Regent's Circle

doncecco wrote:
No way the NFL starts Labor Day weekend. No chance. They know that is the last big travel weekend and opportunity to enjoy summer. The more likely scenario is the SB slides out one more week, or they might eliminate the dead week between CC games and SB. They did this for a few years in the 90s, I think, when the bye started, so this is possible.

But you are correct in a sense anyway because I think there is now an extra off week between the 3rd (and last) pre-season game and the start of the regular season, or so one article suggested.

But I don't think any of this takes effect until 2021 at earliest, and from what I read yesterday, likely 2022 before they can work out the logistics (e.g., SBs already scheduled possibly moving out 1 week).

yes on 2021... article I read said the NFL did not want to push Super Bowls back.. remember, game 17 is a cannibalization of the 4th preseason game... preseason moves to 3 games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:25 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

let me guess, your degree from Tulane was in Philosophy.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

16 NFL games per week.. Saints play in 1 of them... hence 1 in 16 chance.. defending champ has to play someone, right?

Right, they would play one of those other 31 teams. Hence 1 in 31. And my degree is in physics, what's yours?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
doncecco wrote:

yes on 2021... article I read said the NFL did not want to push Super Bowls back.. remember, game 17 is a cannibalization of the 4th preseason game... preseason moves to 3 games.

I see no reason why Labor Day can't be a boon for ratings. It may also give them a chance to have 3 games televised on Monday, 1 or 2 being during the day, as well. What will suffer will be the college times slots on Sunday and the Monday night college time slot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:00 am 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Right, they would play one of those other 31 teams. Hence 1 in 31. And my degree is in physics, what's yours?

actually, it is apparent you do have a degree in physics as you are complicating the math unnecessarily.. just like physics

16 games.. 1 is played on that Thursday night... it isn't always the defending Super Bowl champ, any more (see 2019 opener: Green Bay at Chicago).. Saints have a 1 in 16 chance of being in the season opener.

my degree is in biology which required me to take physics.. hence my experience in math that was made unnecessarily complicated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

actually, it is apparent you do have a degree in physics as you are complicating the math unnecessarily.. just like physics

16 games.. 1 is played on that Thursday night... it isn't always the defending Super Bowl champ, any more (see 2019 opener: Green Bay at Chicago).. Saints have a 1 in 16 chance of being in the season opener.

my degree is in biology which required me to take physics.. hence my experience in math that was made unnecessarily complicated

It almost always is though. NFL didn't want goodell to have to go to NE again.
Surprised you didn't point out that the Saints could be the defending champ, further complicating our math. Man, I took so many over-complicated math classes. Calculus-based statistics, combinatorics, yuck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am 
Coach Level

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Suggest you simply stop right here, gerry. Limit the harm done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:11 am 
President's Circle

maybe the NFL will recognize that Labor Day weekend is a big travel weekend and schedule all the games on Thursday???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 am 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

It almost always is though. NFL didn't want goodell to have to go to NE again.
Surprised you didn't point out that the Saints could be the defending champ, further complicating our math. Man, I took so many over-complicated math classes. Calculus-based statistics, combinatorics, yuck.

figured I'd stick to the basics... it's always a 1 in 16 chance no matter how you slice it... I always wondered why they needed to fk up physics by introducing calculus to it.. it was fine algebraically to me!!! Of course I say this tongue in cheek as the advanced engineering portions of physics do require the computations from calculus, but when you're just trying to get a biology degree and not have to overthink things in physics... you want to avoid calculus at all cost!! I hated Calculus.. with his wee, beedy eyes and smug grin saying "oh, you're gonna buy my chicken!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:31 am 
Regent's Circle

Your assuming there's an equal chance each team plays in any game

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:46 am 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:

I'm going with the precedent of the defending champ guaranteed to play on that night having been removed. I don't think it was 100% Goodell wanting to avoid New England. I believe there were comments that the league wanted to move away from the Super Bowl champ playing that night, consistently.

Actually, your theory of 1 in 31 is out the window because you can eliminate 18 potential opponents from a team's schedule... 12 non conference foes they will not play and 6 conference foes. If a team the Saints cannot play wins the Super Bowl, the odds of them playing on that Thursday night decrease to zero... if the defending champ 100 percent gets that slot.

If the defending champ gets that slot and IS on the Saints' schedule, the odds are "1 in 8 or 9" ONLY if that team is on their road schedule since they will not host that game.

See what you did.. you brought out the inner physicist in me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

I'm going with the precedent of the defending champ guaranteed to play on that night having been removed. I don't think it was 100% Goodell wanting to avoid New England. I believe there were comments that the league wanted to move away from the Super Bowl champ playing that night, consistently.

Actually, your theory of 1 in 31 is out the window because you can eliminate 18 potential opponents from a team's schedule... 12 non conference foes they will not play and 6 conference foes. If a team the Saints cannot play wins the Super Bowl, the odds of them playing on that Thursday night decrease to zero... if the defending champ 100 percent gets that slot.

If the defending champ gets that slot and IS on the Saints' schedule, the odds are "1 in 8 or 9" ONLY if that team is on their road schedule since they will not host that game.

See what you did.. you brought out the inner physicist in me.

Well done. I'd actually assume the league would prefer to keep the saints out of the spotlight anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 pm 
Coach Level

I think I would rather talk about coronavirus than physics and calculus. JK. Glad we can talk sports again, even if it is only about Thursday night FB games.

I am in favor of a Thursday night game the week before Labor Day weekend. Change my mind if you can.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

sprout1550 wrote:
I think I would rather talk about coronavirus than physics and calculus. JK. Glad we can talk sports again, even if it is only about Thursday night FB games.

I am in favor of a Thursday night game the week before Labor Day weekend. Change my mind if you can.
I think the point is that it’s easy to get someone to skip a 4th preseason game to attend/watch a regular season college game. If that’s now a regular season game, it will take viewers away from college games (in this case the Saints will come first over Tulane games for most locals). However, if the Saints don’t win the Super Bowl, the chances are low that they have a game that day.

I’m looking at enough numbers today at work to want to figure out what fraction is the most representative :lol:

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
sprout1550 wrote:

I think the point is that it’s easy to get someone to skip a 4th preseason game to attend/watch a regular season college game. If that’s now a regular season game, it will take viewers away from college games (in this case the Saints will come first over Tulane games for most locals). However, if the Saints don’t win the Super Bowl, the chances are low that they have a game that day.

I’m looking at enough numbers today at work to want to figure out what fraction is the most representative :lol:

that does get back to the original point.. us kicking off the season on a Thursday will probably not conflict with a Saints game unless they win the Super Bowl, and after 2020, those odds drop precipitously

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 am 
President's Circle

As a math geek I love the debate, but I will always bring practicality to it.

THE NFL WILL NEVER START ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND!

They'll lose the bye week before the SB and kill the Pro Bowl, thankfully, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 am 
Emerald Circle

doncecco wrote:
THE NFL WILL NEVER START ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND!
But apparently the Kentucky Derby will be run that Saturday. :shock:
https://www.wlky.com/article/kentucky-d ... /31680899#

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:59 pm 
President's Circle

This fall is going to be so miserably screwed up. Who knows what schools will be like, how many teachers don't go back. Sports will be piled on top of each other. The French Open has already scheduled in right after the US Open. There will likely be golf majors following the FedEx cup. The NBA could be ending right before Labor Day and restarting a month later. Players on deep playoff teams be physically trashed. They will likely have to push back the start of next season if they plan to finish this season.

Baseball might be the only league that can stick to its normal ending and just cut the season by 40-60 games, if they can start by Memorial Day. Or will there be a WS game 7 in NYC on Thanksgiving Day? First pitch after the Macy's Parade?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

This is hilarious. Everyone knows the Saints have no chance of winning the SB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm 
Riptide Level

Johnny Mac wrote:
. you want to avoid calculus at all cost!! I hated Calculus.. with his wee, beedy eyes and smug grin saying "oh, you're gonna buy my chicken!"

How can you hate Calculus! it unlocks the mysteries of the physical world and it is an essential component of the pentavirate.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm 
Regent's Circle

Carolina Greenie wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
. you want to avoid calculus at all cost!! I hated Calculus.. with his wee, beedy eyes and smug grin saying "oh, you're gonna buy my chicken!"

How can you hate Calculus! it unlocks the mysteries of the physical world and it is an essential component of the pentavirate.....

becauseheputsanaddictivechemicalthatmakesyoucraveitnightly... SMARTA88!!