Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 pm 
Breaker Level

Hey everyone. Obviously, it's been a pretty crazy time and I wanted to do something positive since we don't have Tulane Baseball. I'm going to try to put together a few podcasts in a series on the Greatest Greenie Moments. First up to the plate... the 2001 Super Regional:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/t ... tulane-lsu

In this episode, Rick Jones and Scott Kushner join me to recap an epic weekend in Green Wave history. We talk about the context for Coach Jones after falling short of the Super in '99, the atmosphere at Zephyr, and more. I had a lot of fun hearing his stories and learned a lot.

More to come. Please let me know if you have any other moments you'd like to see covered across modern Tulane sports.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm 
President's Circle

Fans may think they've heard all the inside stories of that weekend but guess what?
this super podcast has unearthed some new, little- or never-before-heard behind the scenes stories about that weekend.
brilliant piece of journalism here in a cool 40-45 minutes. Rick Jones sounds like he could lead a team tomorrow. Coach was very excited to be part of this, it seemed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:27 pm 
President's Circle

Coach Jones is a great guy. He loved to coach, compete, recruit, and he especially loved Tulane. Best coach we have ever had in any sport. And there isn’t a close second.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 pm 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
Coach Jones is a great guy. He loved to coach, compete, recruit, and he especially loved Tulane. Best coach we have ever had in any sport. And there isn’t a close second.

I get you're a baseball guy but that's clearly an untrue claim and disrespectful to those who did more with less. Shaughnessy, Bierman, Bowden, Wells, Clark. In baseball Brockhoff had a higher winning percentage. He was a great coach but we have had others. And one cannot forget the man that saved Tulane baseball. Without Milt Retif Tulane would be one of those schools without a baseball program. When the school was ready to dump it he stepped in and coached it for free for nine years. He also won at a clip just behind RJ.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:44 pm 
Coach Level

Thanks so much for doing this. Great interview. I was at all three games (it was so hot Saturday and Sunday) - Someone taped the third game for me. I have it somewhere on VHS. I’ll look for it- If I find it and anyone has the ability to watch it I can loan it to them. I recently came across a recording of the NCAA hoops game with St Johns.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:05 am 
Emerald Circle

randymc wrote:
Fans may think they've heard all the inside stories of that weekend but guess what?
this super podcast has unearthed some new, little- or never-before-heard behind the scenes stories about that weekend.
brilliant piece of journalism here in a cool 40-45 minutes. Rick Jones sounds like he could lead a team tomorrow. Coach was very excited to be part of this, it seemed.

This is true. I’ve heard coach speak in close settings from Greenbackers meetings to one-on-one conversations and there were things in the podcast that I hadn’t heard before. Also nice getting a perspective from Kushner who was only 10yo at the time of the ‘01 SR.

This is my second day of working at home and I’m trying to keep a somewhat “workday routine” listening to podcasts all day so it was nice to have something Tulane sports related to listen to.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I get you're a baseball guy but that's clearly an untrue claim and disrespectful to those who did more with less. Shaughnessy, Bierman, Bowden, Wells, Clark. In baseball Brockhoff had a higher winning percentage. He was a great coach but we have had others. And one cannot forget the man that saved Tulane baseball. Without Milt Retif Tulane would be one of those schools without a baseball program. When the school was ready to dump it he stepped in and coached it for free for nine years. He also won at a clip just behind RJ.

Wavedom, I respect your opinion and meant no disrespect to others but RJ is #1 in my book. The opportunity to compete for national titles separates him. And if Maestri would have not kept shipping us to Baton Rouge, no telling how many other opportunities we would have. The talent he assembled over a prolonged period was something we may never see again. Just an outstanding coach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:46 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

It ain’t disrespectful and it’s probably true.
Did more with less in terms of resources or talent? Either way, Jones did a lot of fundraising himself IIRC and you can’t count it against him because he was able to get more talent than the other guys.
Winning percentage is fine, but what puts Jones ahead of those guys is that he was able to do what they couldn’t. Win in the postseason and advance to Omaha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Wavedom, I respect your opinion and meant no disrespect to others but RJ is #1 in my book. The opportunity to compete for national titles separates him. And if Maestri would have not kept shipping us to Baton Rouge, no telling how many other opportunities we would have. The talent he assembled over a prolonged period was something we may never see again. Just an outstanding coach.

I get that he's #1 in your book. It was the rest of the post that I took issue with. I have followed all three sports closely for decades. In baseball we had had a successful program and had invested in facilities at a time when many other programs hadn't. I expected that program to win at least one NC in that time period. Getting to Omaha was not the goal. Winning it was. Unfortunately once we got there we didn't really compete for a NC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:19 pm 
Coach Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Did more with less in terms of resources or talent? Either way, Jones did a lot of fundraising himself IIRC and you can’t count it against him because he was able to get more talent than the other guys.
Winning percentage is fine, but what puts Jones ahead of those guys is that he was able to do what they couldn’t. Win in the postseason and advance to Omaha.

It was disrespectful and absolutely not true. As I just posted above the school had invested in that program in a way it hadn't in football and basketball thus giving it advantages which helped lead to our success under multiple coaches. Nobody is counting it against him that he had more talent it's just a shame it didn't result in winning it all. Those other coaches won in the postseason too. Again your a baseball guy and easily overstate the case and take offense much too easily. We have had very good coaches in all three. None stand out among the other top flight coaches we have had.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

It was disrespectful and absolutely not true. As I just posted above the school had invested in that program in a way it hadn't in football and basketball thus giving it advantages which helped lead to our success under multiple coaches. Nobody is counting it against him that he had more talent it's just a shame it didn't result in winning it all. Those other coaches won in the postseason too. Again your a baseball guy and easily overstate the case and take offense much too easily. We have had very good coaches in all three. None stand out among the other top flight coaches we have had.

You’re the one whining about disrespect but I’m the one that takes offense too easily? That doesn’t add up. I’m not taking any offense.
The other guys did not win in the postseason. None of them ever won a regional. How can you say they won in the postseason? It’s bananas to put their postseason résumés against RJ’s.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 pm 
Coach Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

You’re the one whining about disrespect but I’m the one that takes offense too easily? That doesn’t add up. I’m not taking any offense.
The other guys did not win in the postseason. None of them ever won a regional. How can you say they won in the postseason? It’s bananas to put their postseason résumés against RJ’s.

Finally some excitement around here. Please, for all of our sakes, keep arguing! Mods please don’t lock this! :jerry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:34 pm 
Coach Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Get your panties out of a wad. We're talking coaches in all sports. They won in the postseason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 pm 
President's Circle

We may be talking all sports but my reply was in response to your comparison of Brockhoff and Retif’s winning percentage to Jones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm 
Coach Level

Brockhoff got us to a Regional Final when there were no Supers. So he did advance us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Brockhoff got us to a Regional Final when there were no Supers. So he did advance us.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

No, that doesn’t count. You’re reaching hard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm 
Coach Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOL. You're the one reaching. It does count. There were no Supers. The teams that advanced to the finals were in the equivalent of a SR.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOL. You're the one reaching. It does count. There were no Supers. The teams that advanced to the finals were in the equivalent of a SR.

No, it’s not the same. For obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:05 pm 
Coach Level

It is for obvious reasons. It's also obvious why you attempt to deny it. Like I said above Retif literally saved Tulane baseball. He got it on the winning track. When his business reached a point where he couldn't coach it anymore he hired Brockhoff to do it. He also stayed engaged in recruiting all the way through RJ's tenure. JB was part time as he still was teaching HS because Tulane wouldn't pay for a full time coach. He continued building on what Retif started. They both succeeded while playing in a glorified playground park. JB brought us to Regionals enough so that the school built Turchin and set the stage for more success. The post I originally responded to said RJ was the best coach in any sport and that there was no close second. Neither part was true. To try and claim that Retif and Brockhoff aren't a close second is just foolish.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 am 
President's Circle

It isn’t foolish. It is a opinion based on fact. We were never as close to wining a national championship as we were with Coach Jones. That is fact. And we there multiple times. And it should, no would have been more if they would have sent us somewhere else other than Baton Rouge over and over. We were ranked #1 for practically an entire season. We had something like 55 wins that season. Who else has ever done that at Tulane. No one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:21 am 
Coach Level

It is foolish. Brockhoff took us to Regionals enough to get Turchin built. Back then he got us in when they were only 34 teams once and four times when it was only 36 teams. His performance got the school to invest in baseball at a time when many others weren't. He did it with less resources. He's recognized nationally as one of the best hitting coaches, To say he doesn't come close is absurd.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
It is for obvious reasons. It's also obvious why you attempt to deny it. Like I said above Retif literally saved Tulane baseball. He got it on the winning track. When his business reached a point where he couldn't coach it anymore he hired Brockhoff to do it. He also stayed engaged in recruiting all the way through RJ's tenure. JB was part time as he still was teaching HS because Tulane wouldn't pay for a full time coach. He continued building on what Retif started. They both succeeded while playing in a glorified playground park. JB brought us to Regionals enough so that the school built Turchin and set the stage for more success. The post I originally responded to said RJ was the best coach in any sport and that there was no close second. Neither part was true. To try and claim that Retif and Brockhoff aren't a close second is just foolish.

Let’s pretend that it was the same thing.
1 Super Regional for Brockhoff vs 2 CWS Appearances and another Super for RJ isn’t really close.

Making the final of the 6 team regional wasn’t the same as going to a Super even though it was the final 16 teams for the following reasons. In a Super Regional both teams are on an even playing field.
Both teams have to win 2 games of a 3 game series. More or less both teams will be able to throw their best pitchers on normal rest.
A team in Tulane’s position in the final in 1986 needed to go 2-0 against LSU(we didn’t win 1) while Tulane would have been playing its 5th and 6th games of the weekend while LSU would have needed to go 1-0 or 1-1 while playing its 3rd and 4th if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm 
Coach Level

You can deny it all you want but it is close. Especially when you consider what actually happened once we got to Omaha. As to the other comparison it doesn't change the fact that we were in the final 16. That is SR level no matter that the format put us at a disadvantage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 pm 
President's Circle

Come on Wavedom. Time to get out the house and take a walk. Exercise my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:38 pm 
Coach Level

I am taking full advantage of the extra time to get out and exercise. You do the same.