Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
doc
President's Circle

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Unread post by doc »

Massive 7-0 280# C Russell Tchewa showed great improvement for the South Florida Bulls last season and even more is expected this season. He recently returned to his native Camaroon to help care for his Father who had contacted Covid. Now he is having difficulty getting a student visa to get back into the USA. He is taking his courses online this semester while this problem gets sorted out.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

2022 6-4 205# SG Jacob Wilson from Baron Rouge, LA, who had committed to Wichita State will be transferring prior to his Freshman year. He previously had offers from a number of mid-low majors including UNO, Nicholls State, Southern, and Northwestern State.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

doc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 am 2022 6-4 205# SG Jacob Wilson from Baron Rouge, LA, who had committed to Wichita State will be transferring prior to his Freshman year. He previously had offers from a number of mid-low majors including UNO, Nicholls State, Southern, and Northwestern State.

I'm still not sure if Albert is on scholarship for us. The sites I have seen show him as a walk on. Several people here have said he is on scholarship. If we do have the open 13th spot, does Tulane have any interest in this kid, the Houston kid that just left or the Memphis kid that left? The Houston big man would probably make the most sense.

Wichita State has churned players at nearly the pace of Memphis the last few years so maybe this shouldn't be so surprising, but I don't remember this being so prevalent in the past.

I know we lost Kipper Nichols before he ever played for Tulane. I don't recall the timing, but if I had to guess it was in the middle of the summer.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

It is my understanding Braelee Albert is on scholarship, but I could be wrong.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Here we go again….. 6-10 post Jahmar Young Jr, who transferred from SMU to Memphis, then decommitted about a week ago, has now recommitted to Memphis.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

PG Alex Lomax who was a starter last year at Memphis, then left to go pro, has now announced he is returning to Memphis as a 5th year player. Penny is scrambling to fill out his roster.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Penny is running Memphis like he has a G league squad to pull from.

Memphis basketball more transactions than an NFL team in August.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Even as schools are going into fall session, players are transferring. The most notable recent transfer is all-Horizon League senior combo guard 6-3 Damaria Franklin from the University of Illinois-Chicago. He scored 17ppg last season and also lead his team in rebounds and assists. He is a slasher with a good mid-range game. He announced he was transferring 2 days ago and schools began contacting him immediately. It is no surprise Memphis got involved and is doing a zoom call with him today. Arizona State, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Kansas State, DePaul, Alabama, Murray State, Tampa, and Oklahoma are also involved.
hullabaloo
Trainer

Unread post by hullabaloo »

doc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:13 pm It is my understanding Braelee Albert is on scholarship, but I could be wrong.
I believe he is, so we do not have any remaining scholarships.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

UIC SG Damaria Franklin is transferring to Memphis. Penny Hardaway filled his roster. He still might have one more scholarship as his son is probably considered a walk-on.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

USF C Russell Tchewa has received his VISA and will be returning to school.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

2022 Baton Rouge, LA SG Jacob Wilson who committed to Wichita State but then decommitted, has signed with Louisiana Monroe.
Last edited by doc on Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I presume Dalen Davis, one of the finest guards in Chicago, will be visiting Tulane this weekend.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

randymc wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:18 pm I presume Dalen Davis, one of the finest guards in Chicago, will be visiting Tulane this weekend.
Did Davis visit and how did it go?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Davis will announce his choice (between Tulane and Princeton) on his birthday, Oct. 15.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

SMU has finally signed the paperwork to allow AAC POY PG Kendric Davis to be immediately eligible this season at Memphis.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

randymc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:20 am Davis will announce his choice (between Tulane and Princeton) on his birthday, Oct. 15.
Pete, you need to send him your rationale back in the day!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

MNAlum wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 pm
randymc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:20 am Davis will announce his choice (between Tulane and Princeton) on his birthday, Oct. 15.
All he really needs is to see the average temperatures from December to February in New Orleans vs. Princeton, NJ. 8)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Plus Princeton had really restricted COVID attendance policies for basketball games. It may be Tulane actually draws more fans than Princeton (at least last season)
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Unread post by SlidellWave »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:50 pm
All he really needs is to see the average temperatures from December to February in New Orleans vs. Princeton, NJ. 8)
He's from Chicago, I don't think temp is going to matter to him too much.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

SlidellWave wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm
I dunno man, being from cold weather is MORE impetus to go somewhere warm. Probably more than guys from warm weather being afraid to leave it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:33 pm
SlidellWave wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm
I dunno man, being from cold weather is MORE impetus to go somewhere warm. Probably more than guys from warm weather being afraid to leave it.
That's why under Smith we got some really good O-linemen from the midwest.
We deserve so much better
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Two weeks before the start of the season, Manhattan has fired HC Steve Masiello. He has been the HC there for 11 years. Prior to that he had been an assistant at Louisville and before that, an administrative assistant at Tulane. Almost immediately, the preseason MAAC player of the year, 6-5 SF Jose Perez, announced he is transferring. Schools have begun contacting him including Memphis, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Rhode Island, Alabama, Oregon, Wake Forest, San Diego, U Mass, Nebraska, and Clemson. Perez had previously been at Marquette and Gardner-Webb. Perez has stated he expects other players on the team to transfer.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

doc wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:55 pm Two weeks before the start of the season, Manhattan has fired HC Steve Masiello. He has been the HC there for 11 years. Prior to that he had been an assistant at Louisville and before that, an administrative assistant at Tulane. Almost immediately, the preseason MAAC player of the year, 6-5 SF Jose Perez, announced he is transferring. Schools have begun contacting him including Memphis, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Rhode Island, Alabama, Oregon, Wake Forest, San Diego, U Mass, Nebraska, and Clemson. Perez had previously been at Marquette and Gardner-Webb. Perez has stated he expects other players on the team to transfer.
Who doesn’t Memphis contact? They seem more like a football team than a 13 man basketball team.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:31 pm

Who doesn’t Memphis contact? They seem more like a football team than a 13 man basketball team.
Good point about Memphis

Reading Doc’s posts you sometimes think Hunter offers everyone who walks. Hardaway seems to offer anyone who can breathe.