Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:27 pm Looks like a good replacement for Baker. Appears to be a similar size and build. While the numbers are not all that impressive, he was highly rated out of high school. I think this is the kind of guy that will fit in.
he just needs to be slightly better than the dude from LaSalle.. who hit a whopping 11 3 pointers, while supposedly coming in to hit 3 pointers for us
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Here’s some information on Tre’ Williams:He is a redshirt Sophomore with two seasons of eligibility left. His Father, Marvin, played for the #16 seed Pete Carril Princeton team that nearly beat #1 seed Georgetown in 1989. Tre’ Williams is a good defensive player. He can reportedly can guard the 1, 2, or 3 positions. He played about 15-18 minutes at Minnesota and Oregon State. His shooting numbers were poor especially from the FT line. He seems like an intelligent kid that will play with effort. Hopefully his shooting numbers will improve at Tulane. I think this is an interesting signing.
Last edited by doc on Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I think he will be one of our better defensive players who is effective at closing out on shooters. 15 minutes a game with numbers that won’t jump out at you, but we will be more cohesive defensively when is on the floor. Outside of McGee we don’t have anybody like that.

We still need one more big guy, but he will help us.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 pm I think he will be one of our better defensive players who is effective at closing out on shooters. 15 minutes a game with numbers that won’t jump out at you, but we will be more cohesive defensively when is on the floor. Outside of McGee we don’t have anybody like that.

We still need one more big guy, but he will help us.
would be nice to have someone who can defend like McGee but be an offensive threat... RJ plays hard, he hits the occasional shot, but we are on offense with essentially 4 guys when he's on the floor... 3 guys if he's out there with Days
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I watched game film of Tre’ Williams. The form on his outside shot is good. I did not see any film of his ball handling.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

doc wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:37 am I watched game film of Tre’ Williams. The form on his outside shot is good. I did not see any film of his ball handling.
I saw him play at Minnesota. It was a small sample size and a few years back and it wasn't like I specifically was watching him. My memory is that he is athletic and a very good defender. My comparison to RJ McGee is because of his defensive prowess, his effort and energy. McGee plays really hard and if we tried to run more, he would likely score more. He isn't much of an offensive threat in a half court offense.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

We need another point guard and a skilled low post player.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GSx wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:13 pm We need another point guard and a skilled low post player.
Agreed.
We deserve so much better
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GSx wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:13 pm We need another TRUE point guard and a skilled low post player.
FTFY...

Hunter thinks Sion is our back up point guard but really we need another good ball handler
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

In Tre Williams we have added a good defensive player . I think we have 3 more lockdown players in James , McGee and Pope the problem is in this flying circus zone we play almost all the time they can't show off their one on one shutdown skills. This Press Zone always leaves the backside shooter wide open. It only works against poor 3pt shooting teams or teams having off nights shooting. The good news is one more year and this D will be OK in our new water down Conf. and then we can say it took time to learn but we got it now.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

in terms of a PG, I'm not sure you convince anyone to sign on for a year to watch Cook do his thing on the court while you're on the bench. I think we have our strongest PG priorities for the following year in recruiting (starting this coming November's early period).
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I am hoping for/expecting a breakout year from Scion James this season. Transfer G Tre’ Williams may be able to play some backup PG. The more video I see of him, the more I like Tulane signing him. Rosters around the country are still changing. Fewer transfers are being announced now, but alot have still not committed.
Last edited by doc on Sun May 08, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:45 am I am hoping for/expecting a breakout year from Sion James this season.
I believe he is due as well. Simply with age, experience, and another year of working on it, we should expect his three-point shooting to continue to improve. We already know he can get to the basket on drives and I would hope every day he's working on finishing those drives with contact (I'm picturing assistant coaches and team managers beating the cr*p out of him with those body pad things as he drives the lane repeatedly in workouts). The long-range shooting may be the key, because once he starts finishing drives the opponents are going to play off of him and dare him to hit threes.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:17 am
doc wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:45 am I am hoping for/expecting a breakout year from Sion James this season.
I believe he is due as well. Simply with age, experience, and another year of working on it, we should expect his three-point shooting to continue to improve. We already know he can get to the basket on drives and I would hope every day he's working on finishing those drives with contact (I'm picturing assistant coaches and team managers beating the cr*p out of him with those body pad things as he drives the lane repeatedly in workouts). The long-range shooting may be the key, because once he starts finishing drives the opponents are going to play off of him and dare him to hit threes.
if just half of his missed layups on drives had fallen in the past two years, his per game scoring average would be in the low double digits... he gets to the hole but the ball doesn't always drop.. once he cleans that up, he could be a major force
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

He may be the smartest player in the team and he must only have 4% body fat. Like Cook, I bet he’d be a good football player.

He may very well have greatest currently untapped potential on Hunter’s team. May he achieve it
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Pete - I totally agree with your post. I remember when Magic Johnson came into the NBA. He had no outside shot at all.As good as he was, defenders played way off of him making his driving and dishing much more difficult. Once he developed his set shot and defenders couldn’t back off of him, it was all over for other teams in the league.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

The best game played by a Tulane point guard last season was by Sion James against Temple in the conference tournament.

I still would like to see us play more with two bigs. Having Cross gives us 4 guys that can handle the ball. We don’t need 4 guards on the floor at one time. You have shooters in Forbes and Cook (still assuming he will be back). James getting to even 35% from 3 would give you plenty of outside shooting. Daniels, Pope and hopefully the one more big we need to sign play that second big man role. We would get more second chance points, help mitigate Cross’s fouls and rebound somewhat better on defense. The weakness in the zone is the wide open looks on the wings and in the corners and unmarked rebounders. It’s always going to be problem but maybe the second big at least alters the looks some and grabs a few more boards. Coleman would be the third guard if Cook does not return or be the first guy off the bench (assuming he spends his summer working on where to be in the zone).

Forbes, Cook and Cross will get theirs. James need to be the consistent 4th scorer.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I agree that defense/size on the wings is crucial. Tulane needs lateral quickness to cut off the baseline as well.I am hopeful/expecting that Williams and the next transfer/signee will address that issue.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Wichita St post Morris Udeze is transferring to New Mexico.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:18 amI still would like to see us play more with two bigs.
I suspect everyone, including all the way up to our assistant coaches (based on comments in news articles last year), wants that. Everyone except the one guy who makes the decisions, and keeps us playing 4 guards and a big.

The offense runs through Cross, with him getting the ball at the high post or top of the key, with 2 wings and 2 corners, giving him an open lane for driving, and 4 spread-out shooters to whom he can dish if he gets doubled or someone rotates. Adding a second big guy blows up that whole concept; where do you put him?

Having seen Cross play from that spot, I don't have a problem with that offense. The problem, just like with our match-up zone, is we refuse to do anything else. One offensive set, one defense.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doc wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:37 am Pete - I totally agree with your post. I remember when Magic Johnson came into the NBA. He had no outside shot at all.As good as he was, defenders played way off of him making his driving and dishing much more difficult. Once he developed his set shot and defenders couldn’t back off of him, it was all over for other teams in the league.
He was NBA Finals MVP in both his 1st and 3rd years (he was injured for most of his 2nd year).
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Let me elaborate…. Magic Johnson was always the best PG in the open court from the moment he arrived in the NBA, and the Lakers really began running when Magic came in and Jack McKinney installed the offense. However in set plays, the offense was primarily feed the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Defenses could more easily double Kareem, playing less tight man defense on Magic. When Magic developed his effective outside set shot, the court opened up even more. Magic and the Lakers were unstoppable.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Jalen Cook was not one of the 44 players invited to the NBA G league camp which I believe is a a chance to impress scouts in the hopes of getting invited to the actual NBA combine. Doc, I assume this means he clearly won’t be drafted and unless he is transferring or going to play overseas he will be back at Tulane. Am I correct?

Tyler Harris committed to USF. It’s a good get for them. He is pretty darn good.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I think all Tulane fans are hoping Jalen Cook returns next season, which could be a very special year. It is my understanding that he has not put his name into the transfer portal, so right now it is professional ball or Tulane.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Talented 2023 6-2 PG Fred Payne from Grambling, Louisiana, has announced his top 5 schools are Tulane, North Texas, Houston, Boston College, and St Louis. He has already visited Boston College. He has stated that he loves the way Tulane has utilized Jalen Cook. He attends the same school in Spring, Texas attended by Dionjahe’ Thomas.
Last edited by doc on Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.