Justin Ibieta

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Re: Justin Ibieta

Post by WaveProf »

waverider wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:30 pm
WaveProf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:26 pm
Radio Wave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:46 pm You have to scratch your head on some of the play calls. There was a key 4 and 2 in the USM game that Pratt went with a deep throw that was incomplete. That game was just not ours to win.
That play wasn’t the mystery to me, we’ve had a lot of success over this coach’s tenure with an occasional surprise deep ball on footer down. What had me scratching my head with a third down call. On third and sixth we ran it up the middle to make it for that short. If you know you were going to throw it deep on fourth, the that is an almost completely wasted third down play.
It was no worse than most of the other runs up the middle in the game. Throwing on 4th and long when the defense knows you are throwing is more difficult. USM was playing 9 in the box all game so getting to a 4th and short should have allowed the deep ball to work. The run was based on knowing they would go for it and try the pass.
My point is they could have just as easily gone deep on third.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:45 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:30 pm
WaveProf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:26 pm
Radio Wave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:46 pm You have to scratch your head on some of the play calls. There was a key 4 and 2 in the USM game that Pratt went with a deep throw that was incomplete. That game was just not ours to win.
That play wasn’t the mystery to me, we’ve had a lot of success over this coach’s tenure with an occasional surprise deep ball on footer down. What had me scratching my head with a third down call. On third and sixth we ran it up the middle to make it for that short. If you know you were going to throw it deep on fourth, the that is an almost completely wasted third down play.
It was no worse than most of the other runs up the middle in the game. Throwing on 4th and long when the defense knows you are throwing is more difficult. USM was playing 9 in the box all game so getting to a 4th and short should have allowed the deep ball to work. The run was based on knowing they would go for it and try the pass.
My point is they could have just as easily gone deep on third.
That takes away the option to convert third and medium with a run like we did earlier (Spears long TD run) and also (assuming incomplete) puts you in an almost must-pass 4th and 6. Given our OL challenges, it looks like we prefer to maintain the ability to run when the D is expecting pass and vice versa. We did the same thing on 3rd and 8 before the long FG we missed, we just didn't gain any yards on that run (I assume we'd have gone for it on 4th if we'd have picked up a few).
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:44 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:27 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:33 pm With that in mind it's perfectly fair to wonder if Ibieta or Horton or someone else may be an improvement, but I think so far Pratt has been ok. Maybe my appraisal of above average was too high and average (his QBR is 65th), is a fairer assessment.
Would you be okay with giving Ibieta a start to see what he does? With the way Pratt has taken a beating the last two weeks he’s going to need a rest at some point this season. Or learn not to run like a fullback.
I’d go Horton before Ibieta, but I wouldn’t have done either.
I like Horton too and he did ok against Cincinnati but he is still having decision making issues and throwing INTs in practice.

You will see Ibieta get a start before Horton.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:38 pm
StPeteWave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 pm
FW wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:10 pm Haggard is pretty small, but was very good in HS. He also had some very good weapons.
Anyone remember Gene "mouse" Newton?
Yes. That was also a long, long time ago.
And Shaun King, but he was only a long time ago, not a long, long time ago.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Shaun was bigger than Newton.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:29 pm Shaun was bigger than Newton.
Poseidon said that Haggard was listed at 6'0 but looked like he was only 5'10. If I remember correctly, King was also 5'10, and he did okay at Tulane (and afterwards). But I realize that was a long time ago so I'm not saying it's an okay height now.

I don't even know who Newton is (/was). 8)
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:56 pm
wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:29 pm Shaun was bigger than Newton.
Poseidon said that Haggard was listed at 6'0 but looked like he was only 5'10. If I remember correctly, King was also 5'10, and he did okay at Tulane (and afterwards). But I realize that was a long time ago so I'm not saying it's an okay height now.

I don't even know who Newton is (/was). 8)
Haggard is actually more 5"9"'. Shaun was 6'0".
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Real question is he taller than Lindsey Scott?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:37 am Real question is he taller than Lindsey Scott?
And what uniform combo does he prefer with a specific genre of food
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:32 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:37 am Real question is he taller than Lindsey Scott?
And what uniform combo does he prefer with a specific genre of food
He probably likes blue with black pants
#20/#19
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:39 am

I don't care what side one is on the uniform color divide (I vastly prefer our blues to our greens), or if one likes when we mix in black or doesn't (I don't), I'd hope we can ALL agree that mixing the blues with the blacks would be literally, psychopathically, bad.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:50 am

I don't care what side one is on the uniform color divide (I vastly prefer our blues to our greens), or if one likes when we mix in black or doesn't (I don't), I'd hope we can ALL agree that mixing the blues with the blacks would be literally, psychopathically, bad.
Whelp, guess we know what uniform is coming for the next home game....
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm

NOPD unis... blue tops/ black pants

Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:28 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm

NOPD unis... blue tops/ black pants

Exactly my thought! Throw in a white helmet and it will look like riot gear!
#20/#19
purplehaz3
Breaker Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

Get ready for Ibieta tonight. He gets his chance to start/okay a full and big conference game
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Wow. A huge spot for him tonight. What's wrong with Pratt?
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

What is wrong with Pratt?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

I hope it’s not a result of his constant scrambling.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

go JI! Lou Gehrig the Cougars!
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

If you thought the 2nd half of the USM game was conservative….
Assume we will shorten the game and lean on the D.
Ibieta’s moment to prove he can manage a game (or not).
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

This could be the Wally Pipp Moment and all the doomsayers who said Pratt would grad transfer might end up being accidentally right, who can say for sure
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

1309th WAVE wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:56 pm This could be the Wally Pipp Moment and all the doomsayers who said Pratt would grad transfer might end up being accidentally right, who can say for sure
I'm not sure he can back up the hype even at another school, but after hearing all the hype about him, and then watching his team lose again in the most WIllie Fritziest of ways, and sitting at 4 games played (still able to redshirt), who could blame him.

But think an injury is more likely.
purplehaz3
Breaker Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

WaveProf wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:04 pm
1309th WAVE wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:56 pm This could be the Wally Pipp Moment and all the doomsayers who said Pratt would grad transfer might end up being accidentally right, who can say for sure
I'm not sure he can back up the hype even at another school, but after hearing all the hype about him, and then watching his team lose again in the most WIllie Fritziest of ways, and sitting at 4 games played (still able to redshirt), who could blame him.

But think an injury is more likely.
Pratt isn’t transferring. He’s a little banged up and they have faith in Ibieta and the running game.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Purple is right about it mostly being due to Pratt being a little banged up. I found out earlier in the week that Ibieta has been taking the first team reps since Monday (hence my “hypothetical” postings)

I had this as a loss but it doesn’t mean we will still lose anyway. Plus, we have 6-7 winnable games left on the schedule so let Pratt heal. It’s a shame because with us in white and them in black, seeing the defenders would be easy.

I hope everyone took the under.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

waverider wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:32 pm
I hope everyone took the under.
55.5 was available at zero dark thirty this morning. Some world where this news breaks while I was on a plane to Houston