Recreating Old Tulane Stadium web site and 3D model, anyone have info they can share?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Re: Recreating Old Tulane Stadium web site and 3D model, anyone have info they can share?

Unread post by atxwave »

truly amazing what you've done thus far. my memories as a 5 year old are too vague to share but i'm loving what you've done. thank you!
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Recreating Old Tulane Stadium web site and 3D model, anyone have info they can share?

Unread post by Roller »

I was looking for a good close up of the plaque that adorned the south façade (and is now at the entrance to Yulman Stadium), but I was having trouble finding one.
But I did find a partial at about 1:18 into this video:

This brief display shows at least the font and embossing character of the label, which can be helpful to your efforts if you don't already have a better image to go by.

The critical part (to me, at least) is the school's name encircling the state seal of Louisiana:
It says "THE TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA." The last three words are important, since another upstart state college is trying to usurp our name (having co-opted the assistance of ESPN and other influential sports outlets).
No disrespect for Paul Tulane (I greatly appreciate his sponsorship), but the fact remains that Tulane is THE University of Louisiana, and has been since our inception.
Rufus T. Firefly
Trainer

Unread post by Rufus T. Firefly »

This will be a fine thing once it is completed. Lots of fond memories of Tulane Stadium and going to football games there.
Thank you, Mr. W. B. Reily!
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Unread post by Cymonk985 »

Rufus T. Firefly wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:20 pm This will be a fine thing once it is completed. Lots of fond memories of Tulane Stadium and going to football games there.
Thanks.. appreciate the nice words
Creating full 3D modeled walkable model of a New Orleans sports icon soon to be lost to time, old Tulane Stadium. Hope everyone enjoys stepping back in time to experience a place and time long since gone.
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Roller wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:39 am I was looking for a good close up of the plaque that adorned the south façade (and is now at the entrance to Yulman Stadium), but I was having trouble finding one.
But I did find a partial at about 1:18 into this video:

This brief display shows at least the font and embossing character of the label, which can be helpful to your efforts if you don't already have a better image to go by.

The critical part (to me, at least) is the school's name encircling the state seal of Louisiana:
It says "THE TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA." The last three words are important, since another upstart state college is trying to usurp our name (having co-opted the assistance of ESPN and other influential sports outlets).
No disrespect for Paul Tulane (I greatly appreciate his sponsorship), but the fact remains that Tulane is THE University of Louisiana, and has been since our inception.
Thanks.. we will definitely have the seal.. also all of the wall plaques currently on the old grounds.. thanks for the link and video
Creating full 3D modeled walkable model of a New Orleans sports icon soon to be lost to time, old Tulane Stadium. Hope everyone enjoys stepping back in time to experience a place and time long since gone.
GreenWave80
Breaker Level

Unread post by GreenWave80 »

If you had said something Friday, I could have photographed it for you at the stadium. But my guess is, its identical to the one Tulane University Archives is using as its Facebook avatar.

https://www.facebook.com/tuarchives/
Cymonk985
Crest Level

GreenWave80 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:58 pm If you had said something Friday, I could have photographed it for you at the stadium. But my guess is, its identical to the one Tulane University Archives is using as its Facebook avatar.

https://www.facebook.com/tuarchives/
Thanks for the link.. I'll check it out
Cymonk985
Crest Level

I added a few objects and redid the walls and concessions. Even made a custom Coke machine and Cigarette machine. None of this is documented and largely me guessing things so any feedback about ways to make it more accurate are greatly appreciated.

VIEW OF CONCESSIONS UNDER CONCRETE STANDS

VIEW INTO DEPTHS OF STADIUM FROM RAMP 1
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Renderings bring back a lot of memories. I know it’s a model so it should look clean but in actuality the underside of the original stadium looked rough by the time the steel expansions were in place awhile. (Say when Saints became a tenant.)

To be kind here, the underbelly was not unkempt but it sure looked used. It was not a dump but it was well worn.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

The word is antiseptic. By 1970, stadium was anything but.
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:37 am The word is antiseptic. By 1970, stadium was anything but.
Good stuff. I will make some older concrete textures and try that.
Planning on adding some clutter with boxes etc as well

The only worn texture is on the floor currently.. The signage is also a mix of things i saw in 1950's pics so I need to change those
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

It just occurred to me that the refreshment stands should feature Dixie Beer on their signs.
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Roller wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:15 pm It just occurred to me that the refreshment stands should feature Dixie Beer on their signs.
Thanks I will add that.. I think I have some images I can incorporate into something
GreenWave80
Breaker Level

Unread post by GreenWave80 »

Cymonk985 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 am
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:37 am The word is antiseptic. By 1970, stadium was anything but.

The only worn texture is on the floor currently.. The signage is also a mix of things i saw in 1950's pics so I need to change those
I also think more a dirty white than a gray. That gray looks more like gray metal than gray concrete.
Cymonk985
Crest Level

GreenWave80 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:30 pm
Cymonk985 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 am

I also think more a dirty white than a gray. That gray looks more like gray metal than gray concrete.
Cool.. let me see what we can do
I know parts are exposed concrete while others are painted white
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Added some texture but still tricky to get right. Added more concession stands

WEST SIDE REFRESHMENT AND DIXIE BEER STAND
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Fun to view. A tribute to your CAD skills. Thanks.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Curious I’m utterly ignorant about 3D printers so excuse me if I mangle any terminology here

Can your work eventually be rendered in “tactile” materials or whatever the term is?
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:30 am Curious I’m utterly ignorant about 3D printers so excuse me if I mangle any terminology here

Can your work eventually be rendered in “tactile” materials or whatever the term is?
Yes it can.. the only thing is I would need to break it into smaller manageable chunks but you are right. I have joked how this is my "Close Encounters project if anyone remembers his obsession with the "devils tower." Building Tulane stadium in the middle of my living room with a 3d printer would about seal that deal. Lol.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Just finish it before the UFO picks you up. Isn’t that what Dreyfus did?

Separately one of the more interesting aspects of touring St Paul’s in London is seeing the centuries old scaled wooden models of the cathedral structure (s) in the basement. CAD renderings are great to look at o a computer screen but still don’t have the effect of an excellent model in this viewer at least

PS, instead of your living room, put it together in atrium of Wilson Center
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Only a partial joke about Wilson Center
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Don't forget to add a few guys with kegs (probably 1/4 kegs) of beer on their backs, filling up beer cups in the stands. I want to say it was Schlitz, but more likely it was Dixie.
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:27 am Only a partial joke about Wilson Center
It would be a pretty sweet deal to make a plastic model of for sure.
Cymonk985
Crest Level

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:27 am Fun to view. A tribute to your CAD skills. Thanks.
Thanks.. all I can say is I am learning. I am much better at Blender (the 3d tool) than when I got this idea years ago. The real key was figuring how to use code to build things. The stadium is built on several circles. So rather than X and Y its radius and angle.

Looking forward to dropping in a game engine and putting on website for people walk through.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Before 3D printing and CAD, many projects had models made using cardboard and plastic. It was an amazing, jaw-dropping art form. Utility spaces with tremendous amount of pipes would be done using models to coordinate everything that had to fit, when 2D drawings just got too messy. Many buildings where I do work have these old models sitting in basement storage, collecting dust. They expect nobody cares to see it because it's a utility room or mechanical space, but the piping and ductwork modeling, especially considering they had to fit sometimes hundreds of pipes and such into a room, is amazing.

I do work at the University of Cincinnati and they have an entire campus map laid out on a table that's probably 10'x15'... Topography created by layers upon layers of thin cardboard stacked and cut to match the grading. Every building on campus is there, created out of thin cardboard...until a project I was on about 5 years ago which was the first addition in 3D printed plastic. Several more have been added since so the map is slowly becoming plastic.

Sounds boring but it's quite cool to see.

Just don't start using mashed potatoes, cymonk! :lol: