Bowling

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Bowling

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GreenWave80 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:27 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:15 pm Penn state just played in a cotton bowl against Memphis about 4 years ago. That is probably not as big of a draw for them as some other possibilities
I think Penn State's just going to have to take what they're given, just like the rest of us. Unless they'd rather go play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl (who came up with THAT name?).
Yeah of course. My point was that I agree with the post above that a hypothetical psu-tulane cotton bowl won't be 90% psu fans in part because they just did the cotton bowl recently
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I remember seeing Penn State play us in the Liberty Bowl in '79; took more than one rum-laden beverage to help combat the cold rainy weather that beset Memphis that day.

We need revenge after all of these years; the weather certainly did not do a lot to help Roch Hontas and his passing predominant offense.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

AO Sig wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:36 pm I remember seeing Penn State play us in the Liberty Bowl in '79; took more than one rum-laden beverage to help combat the cold rainy weather that beset Memphis that day.

We need revenge after all of these years; the weather certainly did not do a lot to help Roch Hontas and his passing predominant offense.
Hard to describe how uncomfortable it was at that game.

Separate factoid: how many games if any has Tulane played since then with no TDs by either team? IDK
GreenWave80
Breaker Level

Post by GreenWave80 »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:56 pm
AO Sig wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:36 pm I remember seeing Penn State play us in the Liberty Bowl in '79; took more than one rum-laden beverage to help combat the cold rainy weather that beset Memphis that day.

Hard to describe how uncomfortable it was at that game.

Separate factoid: how many games if any has Tulane played since then with no TDs by either team? IDK
Yes, it was absolutely miserable at that game. That game, and the one earlier that year @ Boston College as well.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

GreenWave80 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:31 am One thing I always liked about bowl games in the old days was, you got a chance to play teams that you would likely never schedule. So for me, I'd rather play a USC or a Penn State in the Cotton Bowl than any SEC school. I do wish we'd do more with non-conference scheduling to play different schools. I'd like to once in awhile play an Iowa State, or a Minnesota, or maybe an Arizona State. Just to change things up a bit.
omg yes!!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

While most focus is currently on Penn State for the cotton bowl, with longshots for Tennessee or Bama, we shouldn't sleep on TCU. If Kansas State beats TCU they not only likely knock them out of the playoff, but also snag their Sugar Bowl spot. That would likely send TCU to the Cotton. No one is predicting it because they predict chalk the rest of the way out, but that one simple upset would rock all the predictions. SImilarly, if Utah beat USC and snagged the Rose Bowl.....I think we might see USC
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:05 pm
GreenWave80 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:27 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:15 pm Penn state just played in a cotton bowl against Memphis about 4 years ago. That is probably not as big of a draw for them as some other possibilities
I think Penn State's just going to have to take what they're given, just like the rest of us. Unless they'd rather go play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl (who came up with THAT name?).
um, Jimmy Kimmel?
Charles and Jane Kimmel, I believe.
GreenWave80
Breaker Level

Post by GreenWave80 »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 am While most focus is currently on Penn State for the cotton bowl, with longshots for Tennessee or Bama, we shouldn't sleep on TCU. If Kansas State beats TCU they not only likely knock them out of the playoff, but also snag their Sugar Bowl spot. That would likely send TCU to the Cotton. No one is predicting it because they predict chalk the rest of the way out, but that one simple upset would rock all the predictions. SImilarly, if Utah beat USC and snagged the Rose Bowl.....I think we might see USC
If we play someone like TCU, USC, Bama, or Tennessee, we should be able to use it as some sort of measuring stick of how much we've progressed since the first few years of Fritz' tenure when we played Ohio St and the first trip to Oklahoma. I realize a lot of their players may not play, but I would hope we fare better than that Ohio State game.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

If the last weekend goes chalk it's hard to imagine our opponent isn't Penn State. But a TCU loss could pair us with TCU, a USC loss could pair us with USC, and a Georgia loss could pair us with LSU, Alabama, or Tennessee. A Michigan loss would have almost unable-to-be-predicted consequences, but that seems unlikely.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

WaveProf wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:56 pm If the last weekend goes chalk it's hard to imagine our opponent isn't Penn State. But a TCU loss could pair us with TCU, a USC loss could pair us with USC, and a Georgia loss could pair us with LSU, Alabama, or Tennessee. A Michigan loss would have almost unable-to-be-predicted consequences, but that seems unlikely.
Michigan and Georgia losses won't change the playoff - those 2 are in. It's possible a LSU win could move them to the Cotton Bowl, but I doubt it.
Otherwise, I agree.
I'm good with Penn State.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GSx wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:05 pm
Michigan and Georgia losses won't change the playoff - those 2 are in. It's possible a LSU win could move them to the Cotton Bowl, but I doubt it.
Otherwise, I agree.
I'm good with Penn State.
Neither Michigan or Georgia would drop out of the playoff, but it could shake up below them. For instance, an LSU win would get them into NY6 (whereas they are otherwise out). And a Purdue win sends them to the Rose Bowl, which would mean they'd have to find a different spot for Ohio State (if they aren't in the playoff)
atxwave
Riptide Level

Post by atxwave »

If the top 4 win their games, I would wager Penn State to the Rose, Ohio State to Orange, Alabama to Sugar, and Tennessee to Cotton.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

atxwave wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:41 pm If the top 4 win their games, I would wager Penn State to the Rose, Ohio State to Orange, Alabama to Sugar, and Tennessee to Cotton.
If Michigan wins and Ohio St doesn’t make playoff you can book it to the rose bowl. Won’t even be a debate.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

If LSU wins, they'll be in Sugar as SEC champ, no?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

ml wave wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am If LSU wins, they'll be in Sugar as SEC champ, no?
Yes which sends Bama to Orange and Tennessee to Cotton
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

The Athletic reports that if the 12 team playoff was used this year, we would be 12 seed and play Ohio State in first round the way the standing are currently. Last week they had us playing Tennessee.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Cheerleader wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 am The Athletic reports that if the 12 team playoff was used this year, we would be 12 seed and play Ohio State in first round the way the standing are currently. Last week they had us playing Tennessee.
The G5 playoff participant is the same formula as this year's Cotton Bowl. And once we had our second loss it was clear we were never going to crack the BCS top 12 in the regular season, so we'd be the 12th seed. The only thing that changes each week is who is ranked #5 (or higher but not a conference champion), and would get to host the 12 seed
Last edited by WaveProf on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

KSU appears certain for Sugar. The gift that keeps on giving to buff Tulane’s resume. It helps lock AAC winner into Cotton.

I still have an odd hope for USC. (Utah has to beat them and they edge out SEC team for Dallas berth.) close to a longshot parlay but I’m for it just because…

Just a detail. All that counts is 1-0 and I’d be happy playing the Bunny Friend All Stars
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Cheerleader wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 am The Athletic reports that if the 12 team playoff was used this year, we would be 12 seed and play Ohio State in first round the way the standing are currently. Last week they had us playing Tennessee.
We've been the obligatory 12 seed for a long time based on being the top ranked G5 (minus that week after UCF). The 12 plays the 5, which is the top rated team that is NOT a conference champ (top 4 conference champs get top 4 seeds). For a long time it was expected to be Georgia because Tennessee was above UGA so UGA was "first out of conference CG". Then they played and UGA won and became the assumed SEC CG winner, so it became assumed Big 10 non-CG Michigan... Then they beat OSU, so now it's OSU.

It's all just posted because it's "interesting" and it doesn't mean anything.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Bunch of bowl games in 2-and-a-half weeks still open. I know they are basically TV inventory but the empty stands will look like the holiday basketball tournaments from hotel ball rooms.

I remember decades ago seeing a bowl game from Atlantic City Convention Center. Maybe Liberty Bowl before it moved to Memphis?

On edit: 1964 Liberty Bowl with Utah-WVU. That field must have been hard. It meant something to play in that bowl! 😉
Carolina Greenie
Navigator Level

Post by Carolina Greenie »

Holy crap- Low ceilings and what, commercial carpet? Terrazzo floors? Sounds ridiculous

When I was in 7th grade, my middle school basketball team played a small county school out in the country (SE Alabama). Gym was their cafeteria.
My teammates kept hitting the ceiling with our jump shots. Floor was extra slippery, and yes, rock hard.
Still snuck out with a win though…. :-)

Good times.
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

atxwave wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:41 pm If the top 4 win their games, I would wager Penn State to the Rose, Ohio State to Orange, Alabama to Sugar, and Tennessee to Cotton.
I'll take TN over TCU or (gulp!) SoCal.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

DCGreenie wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:17 pm
I'll take TN over TCU or (gulp!) SoCal.
esp with Hooker hurt.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Eat my words. Apparently the Big Ten has an automatic walked to the Rose Bowl, but unlike most conferences they don’t have to take the highest remaining team if the champion is in the playoff. AP report today saying if Michigan wins, and OSI stays out of playoff, the Rose is strongly considering taking Penn St because OSU has been in rose recently. If that happened it would most likely send Tennessee to cotton (smaller chance Ohio St)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Back when I was watching that Liberty bowl from Atlantic City, B1G had a rule that if you tied (or even if not?), team that had not gone most recently got preference to Rose Bowl berth.

Also then it was Rose or bust. I think in 50s bust meant you couldn’t even go in successive years. I have vague recollection that a number one ranked team (national champ?) from B1G stayed home due to the no repeat rule. Minnesota maybe?