Tulane investigating on-campus assault

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
waverider
Cornerstone

Tulane investigating on-campus assault

Post by waverider »

…the victim reported that on Wednesday, around 10:30 p.m., a male acquaintance followed them into the bathroom at Sharp Hall.
https://www.wdsu.com/article/tulane-pol ... -autopilot#
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
austxwave
Navigator Level

Re: Tulane investigating on-campus assault

Post by austxwave »

Not questioning that this took place but I'm curious about something: the statement says the assailant followed "them" into the women's restroom; however, this statement is inconsistent because it keeps referring to "victim" instead of victims but it also states that multiple people were assaulted. Is this just bad journalism or are there inconsistencies on what happened? Just curious...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

austxwave wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:58 pm Not questioning that this took place but I'm curious about something: the statement says the assailant followed "them" into the women's restroom; however, this statement is inconsistent because it keeps referring to "victim" instead of victims but it also states that multiple people were assaulted. Is this just bad journalism or are there inconsistencies on what happened? Just curious...
Gender pronouns run amok?
#18/#18
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Where does it say multiple people were assaulted? (I didn't watch the video clip, but it's not in the written part)

These days "them" can reference a single person, which appears to be the case in the written part.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

That could be it...I feel like there was more to the original article...like it was longer. Maybe it was edited...or maybe it's what you said.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

austxwave wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:20 pm That could be it...I feel like there was more to the original article...like it was longer. Maybe it was edited...or maybe it's what you said.
Current pronoun fad has a tendency to render news stories incoherent.
Victory is never permanent
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

OGSB wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:04 am Current pronoun fad has a tendency to render news stories incoherent.
This. To me, it's the same as saying something like "The Tulane University football team will open his season in the coming week."
At the very least, it's jarring, and it slows the roll when she's reading. I know ourselves are better than that.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Maybe it’s a guy who filed the complaint and doesn’t want anyone to know about it :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:39 am Maybe it’s a guy who filed the complaint and doesn’t want anyone to know about it :lol:
Or maybe they're a them
#18/#18
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:02 pm
waverider wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:39 am Maybe it’s a guy who filed the complaint and doesn’t want anyone to know about it :lol:
Or maybe they're a them
With all the psychosis running rampant in the world, I reckon it's not outside the real of possibility this is a case of multiple personality. (Dude, if you'd have gone after the slutty one, you wouldn't be in trouble now). :roll:

:twisted:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:02 pm
Or maybe they're a them
As long as none of them are on the football 2-deep.
Tulane Greenbackers

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

"They" has been used as a singlular pronoun for centuries. But by all means, continue to cling to your bigotry.

https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-his ... ular-they/

And yes, if you're "confused" by the use of "they" or "them", then yes, you ARE a bigot.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Sophandros wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:51 am "They" has been used as a singlular pronoun for centuries. But by all means, continue to cling to your bigotry.

And yes, if you're "confused" by the use of "they" or "them", then yes, you ARE a bigot.
Some of us fully understand the modern use and aren't judging a bit, we just can't interpret the use in the story because it's so poorly written.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

Sophandros wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:51 am "They" has been used as a singlular pronoun for centuries. But by all means, continue to cling to your bigotry.

Okay, I guess i'm a bigot. I hope you have a wonderful day. Time for you to take your meds.