2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Post by long green »

Scott Frost at Nebraska was first, now Herm Edwards has joined him. Georgia Tech will join this party sooner or later and so, I think, will Colorado and Auburn. West Virginia, Missouri, and Louisville are possibles.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Who will go first, auburn or gt? Colorado strikes me as a place that will wait until season end, but maybe not.

Here's a wildcard - if Houston collapses from ny6 expectations to 6-6 or worse does holgo get the boot?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:11 am Here's a wildcard - if Houston collapses from ny6 expectations to 6-6 or worse does holgo get the boot?
I haven't paid attention but is he on the hot seat locally there? Tjtlja should be able to tell us.

Personally, looking at the "big picture" of his hire and how they've done in his time there, I would think so. A nationally-viral sideline fight can't help either.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think UH rallies and Holgorsen is in okay shape. I also think moving to the new Big 12 raises the pressure on him.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:11 am Who will go first, auburn or gt? Colorado strikes me as a place that will wait until season end, but maybe not.

Here's a wildcard - if Houston collapses from ny6 expectations to 6-6 or worse does holgo get the boot?
Colorado is absolutely horrendous. Their results might force their hand. I hear Collins at GT is a jerk and that can’t help him. Auburn needs to wait. If Harsin can rally and make things look better he might could get a job at one of the PAC 12 openings. But his position at Auburn is untenable.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

long green wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:07 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:11 am Who will go first, auburn or gt? Colorado strikes me as a place that will wait until season end, but maybe not.

Colorado is absolutely horrendous. Their results might force their hand. I hear Collins at GT is a jerk and that can’t help him. Auburn needs to wait. If Harsin can rally and make things look better he might could get a job at one of the PAC 12 openings. But his position at Auburn is untenable.
Patience is not a quality taught on the Plains.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I don't see how Auburn can rally. Their defense is ok, but not as strong as it was a few years ago. They have terrible receivers and QB play. Tank Bigsby can't carry them to 6 or 7 wins on his own imo. Oh and their recruiting is terrible. Harsin is an ok coach, he's just a really bad fit there.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

Lots of these piece seem to almost fit together.

Harsin seems like a good fit at either Arizona State or Colorado, but he's going to make Auburn fire him and pay the buyout first.

Colorado has few $$ resources, below average recruiting home turf and an uncertain conference future. But if Harsin wants somewhere quiet with "quality of life," the Auburn buyout would go a long way in Boulder.

At Auburn, Neal Brown seems like the obvious choice, but he's having an awful year at UWV. Georgia Tech seems like a mess. Do either of those jump at Deion? Our friend Rich Rod is lurking just down the road in Jacksonville, Alabama, and Hugh Freeze says "hey" from Lynchburg.

I think Dana is tight with Fertitta, who is pulling the strings at UH. I think they are ok with "tanking" and starting fresh next year.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:40 am I don't see how Auburn can rally. Their defense is ok, but not as strong as it was a few years ago. They have terrible receivers and QB play. Tank Bigsby can't carry them to 6 or 7 wins on his own imo. Oh and their recruiting is terrible. Harsin is an ok coach, he's just a really bad fit there.
The thing is, who is a good fit at Auburn these days? They are in a tough spot. While they remain a "name" in national opinion, my personal opinion is they are going to have a tough time maintaining that moving forward. I moved to Birmingham 25 years ago and started paying attention to them at that point; since then (and even a few years prior), their only real national successes (and titles) were in years and with coaches who either got in trouble for, or were widely known to be, cheating (hello, Cam Newton). And now "cheating" is basically legal, so it's nothing special. Also, legal and institutional messes forced them to have to cut ties with some of their biggest donors (hello, Bobby Lowder) so for better or worse, that's changed too. And then there's the fact that during all of the coaching changes and such that have gone on, the "main competition" a few hours up the road has turned into a national power the likes of which we haven't seen in half a century or more. Auburn can console themselves with the occasional Iron Bowl upset but it's not flipping the script in the national picture and they probably won't even have a window of opportunity to really do so until Nicky retires. Otherwise, they're going to need a lucky combo of star former players' kids (how'd Bo Nix work out?) and local recruits to choose them over Alabama, coupled with finding some young, Dabo-type coach that just ends up being a genius.
LawGreenie wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:44 amI think Dana is tight with Fertitta, who is pulling the strings at UH. I think they are ok with "tanking" and starting fresh next year.
He is, Fertitta is who got him there. But that's also the problem Houston faces, if/when it's clear that Holgerson isn't the answer. I think this whole scenario actually had made the news in prior years when Houston struggled - and it's already happened at least two times and arguably now three - how does the school convince the whale booster that "his guy" needs to go?
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

UH has created a similar situation to AU -- where Lowder, and now the YellaWood guy, call the shots. The big difference for the moment is that UH has a NBA mentality where tanking and reloading is ok; Auburn has all that rah-rah "AU family" stuff.

Auburn also needs to get players in Georgia and Florida; Kirby has Georgia locked down, and Napier and Christobal look much stouter than their predecessors.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Harsin is just a west focused guy who is a decent developer of talent. He's not a big time recruiter and is not a SEC connected guy. He was also backed by the AD, who made a power play while two groups of boosters fought over who should replace Malzahn. Now they are united against that AD, which also means Harsin is also in the crosshairs.

I thought Harsin was fine at BSU, but they weren't at their previous heights under him. I get the Colorado and Arizona St. angles, but I wouldn't hire him if I aspire to more than 8-4. Arizona St. could aspire to that if they wanted to.

Auburn is in a really tough spot. Their two primary rivals have turned into Death Star level programs which sucks up all the oxygen in the room. In the same way that the 1998 miracle season was poison for Tennessee fans, 2010 and the run to the 2013 title are poison for Auburn fans. They expect that level of performance every year when it actually requires the stars to align. That said, Auburn will continue to be attractive because they pay really, really well and are one of a small number of jobs at the very top of the sport. Deion there would be hilarious, but there's no reason a number of coaches connected to the south and SEC wouldn't give it a shot.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Eastern Michigan, who beat Arizona St this week, tweeted the final score with Herm Edwards’ famous “You play to win the game” quote.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Bruce Feldman of The Athletic is quoted on SI.com saying Nebraska is targeting "... Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Kansas coach Lance Leipold and Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien."
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Campbell can’t stay at ISU forever. This would be a decent move, not his last if it works. Leipold is a good coach but a fallback. The guys I’d ask after are Mark Stoops, who can’t bank on Tennessee and Florida struggling forever, and Dave Clawson, who has made Wake tough and respectable and sometimes quite good.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:04 pm Campbell can’t stay at ISU forever. This would be a decent move, not his last if it works. Leipold is a good coach but a fallback. The guys I’d ask after are Mark Stoops, who can’t bank on Tennessee and Florida struggling forever, and Dave Clawson, who has made Wake tough and respectable and sometimes quite good.
Mark Stoops has an amazing contract, though, that doesn't require Tennessee and Florida to be bad for him to be successful. He literally gets a 1 year extension every time he wins 7 games (bowl games included). If he wins 10 he gets an auto-2 year extension. That's a school that knows where it sits in the football world and is content to provide some entertainment for its fans ahead of basketball season. I don't think he's leaving Kentucky.

Bill O'Brien is a joke...it won't shock me if Saban parts with him at the end of the season whether BOB finds a spot or not.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Georgia Tech Athletic Association board has called a special meeting for tomorrow...future of both HC and AD could be decided
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:52 pm Georgia Tech Athletic Association board has called a special meeting for tomorrow...future of both HC and AD could be decided
Got rid of Paul Johnson because they couldn't win championships running the triple option.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Very surprised Auburn hasn't made a move after lucking (3 times in about 10 minutes) into beating Missouri. The fact they currently have no AD might be the reason.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Yahoo sports saying Colorado fired their coach today
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I wonder who they can pull. This would be a good spot for a parachute job by Bryan Harsin. Someone with options like say Jamey Chadwell won’t go here.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Bronco Mendenhall might be a fit. Penchant for rebuilds and a good fit out west.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Apparently Wisconsin just fired their coach
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yep Paul Chryst out at Wisconsin. They were headed in the wrong direction and that job gets much tougher when the b10 ditches divisions. No team in the b10 west currently recruits in the top 25. With no divisions, those squads have no chance at winning a title unless they up their recruiting game
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think they’re looking for an excuse to give Jim Leonhard the job. Thank you, Graham Mertz.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:46 pm Yep Paul Chryst out at Wisconsin. They were headed in the wrong direction and that job gets much tougher when the b10 ditches divisions. No team in the b10 west currently recruits in the top 25. With no divisions, those squads have no chance at winning a title unless they up their recruiting game
He was given a 5 year extension less than a year ago.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson