2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: 2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

long green wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:18 am Four interim head coaches won yesterday (Joseph, Key at Ga Tech, Aguano at Arizona State, and Leonhard at Wisconsin) Is that some kind of record? Wait, it’s five because UAB’s coach is termed an interim HC though I think he’s the most likely to get the permanent gig where he’s at, even more than Leonhard.
GT has won two straight since firing their coach including a then ranked Pitt
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:30 pm Wondering if Venables at OU is starting to get a warm seat already.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he got canned today. That was an historic whoopin'.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:25 am
OGSB wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:30 pm Wondering if Venables at OU is starting to get a warm seat already.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he got canned today. That was an historic whoopin'.
People have dubbed him Burnt Vegetables going forward
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:35 am
PeteRasche wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:25 am
People have dubbed him Burnt Vegetables going forward
That's pretty funny 🤣
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Matt Rhule got fired by the Panthers today. Rhule being on the market should have an impact on the cfb carousel.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

long green wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:16 am Matt Rhule got fired by the Panthers today. Rhule being on the market should have an impact on the cfb carousel.
Beat me to it
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am
long green wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:16 am Matt Rhule got fired by the Panthers today. Rhule being on the market should have an impact on the cfb carousel.
Beat me to it
Me too! I think he ends up back in college where he was successful.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:38 am
krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am
Beat me to it
Me too! I think he ends up back in college where he was successful.
Nebraska?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

It wouldn't shock me if Leipold and Rhule end up at Nebraska and Wisconsin in any order.
long green
Cornerstone

Jim Leonhard has a real shot at the permanent gig in Madison. I think Brent Key, another alum interim, has a shot the Georgia Tech job if his team keeps playing hard.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

Auburn. It's gonna be Auburn.
long green
Cornerstone

If I were Rhule’s agent I’d steer him to Nebraska. They’re in the Power Two, they have some players, that division is wide open, and that fan base is starving. If he came in and won they’d treat him like the love child of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Also, there’s no true #1 job open yet, including the inevitability at Auburn. He can always leave Nebraska for one of the very few truly elite jobs should that opportunity come up.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

I agree with LG here, except the divisions are going away so they won't have the luxury of hiding in the West for much longer. That said, Auburn is sandwiched between 2 Death Stars who also happen to be their most hated rivals. Their expectations are out of whack with what's possible. Nebraska fans want a return to relevance but I think they realize the playing field has changed significantly to the point that national titles for them are probably a thing of the past.

One other advantage for Nebraska - they were early adopters of NIL in a league that hasn't fully embraced it. Ohio St. is doing ok, but other recently successful B10 teams like Michigan and Wisconsin have bene much slower to adopt. If they'll weaponize their massive fanbase and buy recruits/players they could get back to winning in short order. I do think it's an open question whether Rhule would be ok with that approach. He's more of a character/development guy it seems. Regardless, Auburn won't be able to leverage a similar competitive advantage.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:29 pm I agree with LG here, except the divisions are going away so they won't have the luxury of hiding in the West for much longer. That said, Auburn is sandwiched between 2 Death Stars who also happen to be their most hated rivals. Their expectations are out of whack with what's possible. Nebraska fans want a return to relevance but I think they realize the playing field has changed significantly to the point that national titles for them are probably a thing of the past.

One other advantage for Nebraska - they were early adopters of NIL in a league that hasn't fully embraced it. Ohio St. is doing ok, but other recently successful B10 teams like Michigan and Wisconsin have bene much slower to adopt. If they'll weaponize their massive fanbase and buy recruits/players they could get back to winning in short order. I do think it's an open question whether Rhule would be ok with that approach. He's more of a character/development guy it seems. Regardless, Auburn won't be able to leverage a similar competitive advantage.
They could pay their players with corn...it has the juice!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:29 pm I agree with LG here, except the divisions are going away so they won't have the luxury of hiding in the West for much longer. That said, Auburn is sandwiched between 2 Death Stars who also happen to be their most hated rivals. Their expectations are out of whack with what's possible. Nebraska fans want a return to relevance but I think they realize the playing field has changed significantly to the point that national titles for them are probably a thing of the past.

What if they just built facilities instead?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

They already have the facilities. So onto NIL.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Can always build more/bigger/better.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

With the $75 million a year they'll get they can do both.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

long green wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:05 pm If I were Rhule’s agent I’d steer him to Nebraska. They’re in the Power Two, they have some players, that division is wide open, and that fan base is starving. If he came in and won they’d treat him like the love child of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Also, there’s no true #1 job open yet, including the inevitability at Auburn. He can always leave Nebraska for one of the very few truly elite jobs should that opportunity come up.
Wisconsin ain't a #1 job? JFC what are you smoking?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:32 pm
long green wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:05 pm If I were Rhule’s agent I’d steer him to Nebraska. They’re in the Power Two, they have some players, that division is wide open, and that fan base is starving. If he came in and won they’d treat him like the love child of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Also, there’s no true #1 job open yet, including the inevitability at Auburn. He can always leave Nebraska for one of the very few truly elite jobs should that opportunity come up.
How many titles has Wisconsin won? Hiw many do you think they will win the next decade? It's a good job, it's not a #1 job and it gets harder with b10 expansion
long green
Cornerstone

No, it’s not. Put down whatever you’re smoking. Every single non-homer cfb analyst would rate Auburn above Wisconsin and I don’t think Auburn is a #1 job. Good Lord, Arkansas once bought one of Wisconsin’s coaches.

windy, you do know LSU is a lot better job than Wisconsin, right? I wish they weren’t but I know they are.

There are three jobs in the Big Ten alone that are clearly better than Wisconsin. And how they outrank Iowa, Nebraska, and Michigan State I’d love to know.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:56 pm
How many titles has Wisconsin won? Hiw many do you think they will win the next decade? It's a good job, it's not a #1 job and it gets harder with b10 expansion
So what's a number 1 job then? Georgia Tech has a national championship
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:25 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:56 pm
So what's a number 1 job then? Georgia Tech has a national championship
Yeah but they won't win one again any time soon. Wisconsin would be a #1 job if they had a realistic hope of competing at that level even without any historical titles. There were several #1 jobs open last year. You can win titles at USC, LSU, and Florida. It's been longer for ND, but they've been a game away and a playoff team. Oregon is closer to a #1 job than Wisconsin.

Now if they are going to commit serious resources to their coaching staff and their recruiting then it might be a #1 job to the right person. But its not going to be considered that from a national lens.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Kansas could easily go winless for the rest of the year (@ Baylor, Ok St, @ Texas Tech, Texas, @ K State).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

LawGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:51 am Kansas could easily go winless for the rest of the year (@ Baylor, Ok St, @ Texas Tech, Texas, @ K State).
I was telling my wife that yesterday. Curse of College GameDay! Tech looks like their best shot at getting bowl eligible. It's like our 2019.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone