UNO looking into adding football team and a stadium

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

UNO looking into adding football team and a stadium

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: UNO looking into adding football team and a stadium

Post by PeteRasche »

I wonder what level. The article doesn't say. I assume you have to start at a lower level and then transition up over time? I wouldn't think you could just announce a D1 FBS program and get it, but maybe you can?

Countdown to people b!tching that their stadium is nicer than Yulman... 3... 2... 1...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm I wonder what level. The article doesn't say. I assume you have to start at a lower level and then transition up over time? I wouldn't think you could just announce a D1 FBS program and get it, but maybe you can?

Countdown to people b!tching that their stadium is nicer than Yulman... 3... 2... 1...
Their plan is to add several sports at their existing conference level (Southland)
#18/#18
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

#18/#18
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Rent them time at Yulman. Play double bills to draw more locals.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I hope they make it happen. Would be a game changer for campus culture and a financial injection to the lakefront. UNO could host high school games there, concerts, heck, a soccer club... when your NIMBYs are the gravel lot wasteland around lakefront arena any dream is possible.

I don't think a small tuition hike would be the biggest impediment, though. Convincing the university of louisiana system to spare even a ha'penny of discretionary funds is the bigger one.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The extra fees will crush the much reduced student body, probably reducing it still further. When UNO asked the student body for more money over a decade ago it was voted down by a notable majority in a vote engineered in every way to pass.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The student fee model does work in some places. (UCF put it on steroids. I think it gets more from students than AAC revenue.)

I guess Nat Kieffer redux will come through and have state pay for stadium like it did for Arena.

I know we legitimately have ongoing concerns about Tulane attendance but UNO can’t even “Pack” a basketball Arena section much less a football stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:45 am The extra fees will crush the much reduced student body, probably reducing it still further. When UNO asked the student body for more money over a decade ago it was voted down by a notable majority in a vote engineered in every way to pass.
Are student fees covered by TOPS? Wonder what % of UNO students are on TOPS.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Tell them the student fees will be forgiven by the government
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

That's a good question about the fees. I don't know. I would think most students there are on TOPS.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Leadership matters. Earlier UNO prez was aiming for D2 or even D3 just like SC. Now it’s FCS here we come!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Students understandably voted down the “tax” on themselves to pay for football

Probably the right answer for a commuter school. Mildly helps Tulane by not adding a small competitor for entertainment dollars and corporate sponsorships.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:01 am The student fee model does work in some places. (UCF put it on steroids. I think it gets more from students than AAC revenue.)
UCF is one of the two largest schools in the nation. A small fee x a large number = a lot of impact. UNO is the opposite. Also UCF's student body isn't (on aggregate) as poor as UNOs
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:07 am
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:01 am The student fee model does work in some places. (UCF put it on steroids. I think it gets more from students than AAC revenue.)
UCF is one of the two largest schools in the nation. A small fee x a large number = a lot of impact. UNO is the opposite. Also UCF's student body isn't (on aggregate) as poor as UNOs
Yep. A very large chunk of UNO's student body is there because it's an economical education. Asking folks who have to be aware of their finances to go to school to pony up an extra $300 annually is an awfully big ask.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:37 am Students understandably voted down the “tax” on themselves to pay for football

Probably the right answer for a commuter school. Mildly helps Tulane by not adding a small competitor for entertainment dollars and corporate sponsorships.
Too bad for the alumni who wanted it but giving the students the choice was the right way to go. I don’t think an fcs team at uno would make a dime’s worth of difference for Tulane support, media, recruiting, attendance, financial support from anyone, really anything. But I suppose we’ll never really know.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

The typical UNO student is already an LSU fan or just doesn't care about football/sports. This was as ill-advised a proposition as I could imagine.

As an alum of UNO (grad school), yet rabid football fan, I would probably give the box score a passing glance, at best.
Bring home da Wave!