Elizabeth II dies, aged 96

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
long green
Cornerstone

Elizabeth II dies, aged 96

Post by long green »

RIP, to a long life of exemplary service. I’m glad my mom didn’t live to see this.

yogwf might be one of the very few college sports message boards with active members who’ve known another British monarch. They can tell us how to react.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Elizabeth II dies, aged 96

Post by PeteRasche »

My kids are 13 and 10 and in general my entire family doesn't care about the trials and tribulations of the Royals, but I'm probably going to make them watch a little of the televised funeral stuff and coronation of Charles since it is such a rare event. I was almost 10 when Charles and Di wed and I still remember what a big deal it was some 40+ years later.

RIP, QE2...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The coronation is a ways away. The coronation of his mother can be watched and should be, because starting with this next one, nothing like it will ever be seen again. The funeral will offer some sense of continuity.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

I (yeah, even I) was too young (non-cognizant) for the last coronation.

But don't expect the next one to be so distant. Kids of today will probably see anther one in their lifetime.

I'm placing the over/under on Charles' reign at 15 years.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:17 pm I (yeah, even I) was too young (non-cognizant) for the last coronation.

But don't expect the next one to be so distant. Kids of today will probably see anther one in their lifetime.

I'm placing the over/under on Charles' reign at 15 years.
It certainly won't be 75 years!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’ve never understood the infatuation with the Royal family. Saw she died and may have shrugged a shoulder if any reaction at all.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

waverider wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:06 pm I’ve never understood the infatuation with the Royal family. Saw she died and may have shrugged a shoulder if any reaction at all.
This
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:06 pm I’ve never understood the infatuation with the Royal family. Saw she died and may have shrugged a shoulder if any reaction at all.
This is generally my take about the *family*, but not the Queen herself. It's hard to downplay her magnitude when she was involved in so many huge world events over the last 100 years. Now that she's gone I have serious doubts whether anybody, the British people included, will care very much about the royals.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:06 am
This is generally my take about the *family*, but not the Queen herself. It's hard to downplay her magnitude when she was involved in so many huge world events over the last 100 years. Now that she's gone I have serious doubts whether anybody, the British people included, will care very much about the royals.
Totally my feeling too. I don't view her death as another story about "the royal family". It's a major world event. And while it is a recurring one, it's one that hasn't happened in many of our lifetimes.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Eh, we fought wars so that I wouldn't have to care about this.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

ml wave wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:03 am Eh, we fought wars so that I wouldn't have to care about this.
Funny tweet I saw last night said “Football starts tonight and the queen died today. America is back!” :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

It's not so much "fascination" as it is a desire to not be left standing alone in a corner at còcktail parties...
:wink:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Amazingly people are standing in line for 5 miles, or 30 hours, to see a 96 year old woman' closed casket, a woman whom they've never met, and a woman who lent her legitimacy to some of the worst atrocities of the past century. She has a lot of attributes as well, I'm not one of the "haters." But I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

There was a sketch on one of the Monty Python shows in which they were saying that they had understood that the Queen was going to be tuning in to the show, and each time she supposedly did they stood at attention, appeared stiff and edgy, etc. During my trips to London I have been impressed at just how many souvenirs one could buy with her likeness on it.

Here in the U.S. we have worship the Hollywood stars or athletes; I get the feeling that she has been all of England's grandmother and demigod. Her level of honor has certainly crept into a lot here in the U.S; I was thinking about a scene in the film "Princess Bride 2, 'where someone commented that their currency will be great with Princess Mia's likeness on it, obviously homage to Queen Elizabeth's likeness. Personally I don't think the King Charles 1 pound bills will look as nice.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

AO Sig wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:04 pmPersonally I don't think the King Charles 1 pound bills will look as nice.
Perhaps you mean Five Pound Notes?
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

RIP. ERII
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.