I feel bad for Jeffrey Johnson

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Carolina Greenie
Navigator Level

I feel bad for Jeffrey Johnson

Post by Carolina Greenie »

I mean- look what he's missing! Was it worth the move?

I’m not blaming him, I might of made the same decision in his shoes, especially after a 2-10 season.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: I feel bad for Jeffrey Johnson

Post by Yankeewave »

As we talked about in another threads , he probably made a nice chunk of NIL money. If he doesn’t make the NFL, that is a very good decision for him.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Well I think we can all agree we would beat Oklahoma this year. They absolutely suck, NIL money or not. What kind of money are we talking about. Is it really worth it. JJ should do just fine with a Tulane degree. What I do know is he is on the worst Oklahoma team I have ever seen.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

For all the people saying "move on" from the USM game here's another topic that should go into that category
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Strange how life works out. Perhaps, with the opposite types of seasons each team is having, he'd get a better look at NFL by staying here. Equals more money than NIL.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I don't.... he abandoned us
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

I'm sure he cries himself to sleep every night clutching his Tulane degree on his piles of NIL money
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Anybody have an idea about how big that pile of NIL money might be?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I thought FTWKC said he got some but not that much.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Are we going to start one of these threads every time OU loses this season?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:14 pm Are we going to start one of these threads every time OU loses this season?
I don't hate it
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I guess we don’t have to feel as bad for him this week
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:05 pm Strange how life works out. Perhaps, with the opposite types of seasons each team is having, he'd get a better look at NFL by staying here. Equals more money than NIL.
Fritz noted again in the past days that “grass is only green” elsewhere. It’s not necessarily better. If Tulane makes NY6 and Sooners go to minor bowl at best (and that is not a slam dunk), no doubt all the existing Tulane roster players will be aware of it.

Fritz has done great in making Johnson and Amare Jones occasional exceptions. Keeping the good ones you got in this world is just as crucial as bringing new good ones in if Tulane is to stay at top of AAC.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

But you also can't overlook replacements. If Johnson or Jones had stayed, maybe we don't get other transfers that have helped tremendously. Maybe not direct positional replacements but if perceived as someone who would take snaps away... like if Jones had stayed, maybe we don't get Wyatt or Keys.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Interesting observation. It’s a dynamic world. However in general, it’s easier to retain who you got than replace them.

I don’t dispute in these two cases, Fritz may have actually improved the team

Even if we prefer AND sometimes it is either or.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Watched the Oklahoma - Ok St game. JJ played a bit. During crunch time he was not in the game.
Then looked up his stats: 7 solo tackles this season over 10 games. 18 total. Zero sacks.
What a waste.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

1401973 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:34 am Watched the Oklahoma - Ok St game. JJ played a bit. During crunch time he was not in the game.
Then looked up his stats: 7 solo tackles this season over 10 games. 18 total. Zero sacks.
What a waste.
I don't blame him or begrudge him in the least. He stayed an extra year, and graduated. I wish him the best and would legit be happy for him if his fortunes turned. But we also all make decisions/calculations. And his obviously backfired. And I don't feel super sorry for him either. It will be a good case for Fritz to point to when trying to convince others to stay. Leaving isn't a clear cut good (or bad) idea and all aspects should be weighed. Just because he didn't "owe" us staying (he didn't btw) doesn't mean it was a slam dunk decision to leave.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:49 pm He stayed an extra year, and graduated.
{...}
But we also all make decisions/calculations. And his obviously backfired.
I would argue that he succeeded tremendously due to the bold part above, and the part after it was no backfire at all, just possible lagniappe that didn't come to fruition. In the game of life, the bold part means he won.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

This ended up being a bad move for Jeffrey both in terms of OU having a bad season and for the fact that he didn't play all that much. He ended up getting into a rotation with 6-7 other D-Linemen and it shrunk his PT. Not only were his stats down, but he proved to NFL scouts that he wasn't a factor rushing the passer. Sometimes the best thing you can do is stay in your lane and play well. There are rumors about what Johnson got in NIL. It was not life-changing money. He ended up getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $24,000-30,000 (2,000-2,500 a month). The 243rd pick (7th round) in 2021 got $98,000 as a signing bonus. Could he have gotten drafted by staying one more year at Tulane? I think it's possible, but who knows? What I do think is that he left trying to prove he could play at a higher level and to cash in on some NIL money, and he's almost certainly not getting drafted now.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

He has his Tulane sheepskin. That’s the 40 year decision that will serve him best.

However say Tulane runs the table through Jan 2cd and Tulane ends up with three or more players drafted, every player and recruit will be aware of what happened with Johnson and Jones.

Both NY6 and NFL can find you playing for Tulane.
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:47 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:05 pm Strange how life works out. Perhaps, with the opposite types of seasons each team is having, he'd get a better look at NFL by staying here. Equals more money than NIL.
Fritz noted again in the past days that “grass is only green” elsewhere.
Good point Fritz made about the grass. I've visited Georgia Tech. It's not that green...
NYCGreenie
Junior

Post by NYCGreenie »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:09 pm For all the people saying "move on" from the USM game here's another topic that should go into that category
The biggest thing from that game was Ambrosio being injured. Two missed field goals from Esnard against USM, that is the difference in the game. Could see JJ helping against UCF three weeks ago with Plumlee. Onwards and upwards!
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

The plan of get your degree then chase NIL is the pitch to make IMO. Take Pratt. It's quite conceivable that he could transfer after this year to a school and get significant NIL. However he has two years left if he wants. He could graduate next fall and then transfer if he wants.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Jeffery will be reunited with Duece Watts in the Hula Bowl.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Declared for draft yesterday
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone