2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: 2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ml wave »

long green wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:55 am Charlotte hires Michigan “Associate Head Football Coach” Biff Poggi to be their new head coach. I put they title in quotation because I can’t find what he’s not pictured with the staff on the Michigan site despite reports that he’s staying with Michigan through the season. Poggi will be 64 before next season starts. He’s been a HS coach in Maryland for a long time and before that was an investment manager. He had a brief stint as an analyst at Michigan before his second high school HC tenure. He had a couple of college assistant coaching jobs.

https://charlotte49ers.com/news/2022/11 ... ogram.aspx
Interesting article on Poggi in the Athletic a week or two ago, gave him a lot of credit for Michigan's success the last two years.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

That's the Joe Moglia of Coastal Carolina route. Former investment banker turned footbal coach. I hope it works, honestly, because Charlotte is one of the teams I'm most worried about being dead weight in the new AAC.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

The rumor is spinning and it says that Lane Kiffin will step down to become the next head coach at Auburn. Seems like a purely monetary move as he will no longer be top dog in his own state.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

One MS journalist “broke” this story. If it’s legit the call had to come from some pissed off person at Ole Miss.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

long green wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:46 pm One MS journalist “broke” this story. If it’s legit the call had to come from some pissed off person at Ole Miss.
Lane Kiffin is having a lot of fun with it. I advise anyone that doesn’t follow him on Twitter to go to his account. He even made a post about the guy who tweeted that saying he was stepping down to go to another station.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

None of which contained anything like a denial, which is neat work.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:47 am None of which contained anything like a denial, which is neat work.
Much more defensible if he leaves than "only way I'm leaving is in a pine box" :lol:

If Ole Miss loses two of their more successful coaches in the past 25 years to Auburn, the folks on the Plains better have 24 hour guards around the Toomer's Corner trees (revenge vandalism)...
long green
Cornerstone

Ole Miss fans have nowhere near that kind of passion and good for them.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/21/j ... m=news_tab

Coach Prime Time coming to the AAC?

Personally I hope not (and if these reports are true I'd expect he'd like the idea of Colorado over USF). While I feel like the whole thing is nothing but a facade, he's likely to pull insane recruits wherever he goes and apparently understands the idea of being a recruiter and motivator while letting assistants do the coaching. Of course, if he goes to Tampa and succeeds he'd be off to a major P5 in a year or two.
long green
Cornerstone

For USF’s sake I hope they hire someone who leaves a foundation to build from.

Of the two, USF is by far the better choice. He can continue to build his aura of success and get a much better job than Colorado after two or three years in Tampa. In the PAC 12 he’ll have nine conference games a year and USC and UCLA will still be there while he is at CU. That aura is likely to dissipate quickly in Boulder.

If it’s a bidding war Colorado will win of course and Deion will be penny wise and pound foolish.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

I would be surprised if Coach Prime took either job. He's definitely angling for a bigger stage. He may be a bit raw coaching wise, but his recruiting would be huge. Surround him with some good schematic coaches and it could work.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

The final 30 seconds or so.... :lol:

long green
Cornerstone

On a more stationary part of the carousel, Kansas and Lance Leipold have agreed to a new deal. The espn.com story did not mention the new terms but did say that Leipold was making less than 3 million a year in his first contract.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

long green wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:52 am On a more stationary part of the carousel, Kansas and Lance Leipold have agreed to a new deal. The espn.com story did not mention the new terms but did say that Leipold was making less than 3 million a year in his first contract.
Through 2029. Have to wonder about buyout terms. If he continues to improve their already-way-improved-in-one-year program, a P2 school will back up a bank truck and we'll see if Kansas is "committed to football".
long green
Cornerstone

The story is that Nebraska failed to close the deal with Matt Rhule. As the ESPN story says this is Leipold’s second extension/new contract this season. So I think this could be a response to the situation mentioned above. Note also that the story is that Leipold has agreed to the new deal, exactly what hasn’t happened yet between Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin.
waverider
Cornerstone

Interesting that Kansas doubled down on their already extended coach. I was actually thinking about Fritz recently and if he would get a new extension after the season we’ve had.
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

waverider wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:11 pm Interesting that Kansas doubled down on their already extended coach. I was actually thinking about Fritz recently and if he would get a new extension after the season we’ve had.
Fritz will get a raise but extensions are in eyes of beholder. Remember Frost’s “last extension” reduced his buyout if fired.

I also think a certain AD now at another school liked to do that since some folks around here would understandably ask, “How did that coach earn an extension?” The answer is by agreeing to be fired for very little.

Which raises the question who wants a coach that you can fire for nothing in a market that gives $85 million guaranteed to guys with losing records. (Jumbo Jimbo.)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

So by Friday kickoff against UC, is Kiffin the new coach at Auburn?

I say yes. Only based on his history of migration

Whether he stays at Ole Miss or goes, I guess by Friday night, he has s massive guaranteed contract in hand
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

We will see about Kiffen but MSU lineman made a fabulous deflection of a shuttle pass to deny two point conversion to tie game late.

Made me think about Horton’s execution on same play in same circumstances to put Houston game into OT.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:03 pm We will see about Kiffen but MSU lineman made a fabulous deflection of a shuttle pass to deny two point conversion to tie game late.

Made me think about Horton’s execution on same play in same circumstances to put Houston game into OT.
I thought the same thing on that pass.

I read Kiffin said he “expects” to stay
Victory is never permanent
long green
Cornerstone

After some reports that negotiations had failed between the parties, it’s now reported that Nebraska and Matt Rhule could agree on a deal very soon.

On edit: it now appears to be officially official in Lincoln. I say this is a good move for both parties. And has Colorado offered their job to Deion Sanders? Looks like it.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Reports Auburn will hire Hugh Freeze. Twitter ablaze with people saying he's slimy, etc... until Auburn wins the SEC west in 2 years and all will be forgiven and forgotten, of course.

And Liberty will slip back into oblivion.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

They just said that Matt Ruhle will be named Nebraska head coach on Monday
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:08 am Reports Auburn will hire Hugh Freeze. Twitter ablaze with people saying he's slimy, etc... until Auburn wins the SEC west in 2 years and all will be forgiven and forgotten, of course.

And Liberty will slip back into oblivion.
Apparently just the report of it did the trick. New Mexico St 42 Liberty 7 mid 3rd quarter
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Willie Taggart fired at FAU. They'll start fresh coming into the aac next season. Quite the arc for Taggart over his career