Fans

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
FW
Cornerstone

Re: Fans

Unread post by FW »

We had more fans than real or fake Yulman capacity
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Tulane did travel well. Obviously some neutral locals came but it sure looked to this biased eye that Tulane brought 30000+ to game.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

We had twice as many as Yulman could hold! Hell of a turnout!!!
We deserve so much better
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

FW wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:53 pm We had more fans than real or fake Yulman capacity
hee, hee, hee
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
ATSF_Greenie
Coach Level

Unread post by ATSF_Greenie »

FW wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:31 pm I wanted to make a separate thread about our fans.

UNREAL. UN-FREAKINGREAL

If you were there, you know what I'm talking about. Hopefully it came across on TV how amazing the Tulane fans were.

I can vouch for that, the Wave fans were well shown and represented on TV.
US NAVY VETERAN
TULANE ALUM (2006)
TAE-KWAN DO BLACK BELT
DODGE RAM TRUCK OWNER & FAN
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

YouTube video of winning score that lets you see our side of the stadium

https://youtu.be/sRtF4Hx0Wmw
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:15 pm YouTube video of winning score that lets you see our side of the stadium

Chris Vannini (The Athletic) tweeted this about the eruption on the last play:
Tulane fans have been through the wringer.

From knowing your school left the SEC, to almost being disbanded in '85, to the undefeated '98 team not getting a BCS bowl, to Katrina, to 83 yrs w/o a major bowl.

This noise was decades of frustration set free.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Unread post by SlidellWave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:15 pm YouTube video of winning score that lets you see our side of the stadium

Well, that also shows that it should have been pass interference.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Former Tulane base baller Tim Guidry was on my flight home.

I don’t know who they were but shout out to the two young boys who started the Green- Wave cheer at the gate while waiting for the flight.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

still gives me chills
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:53 pm
OGSB wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:24 pm Guerry said 2-1 Tulane: https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/note ... 84863.html
More than that. There were sections across from me (usc side) that were half empty. I mean half the seats never, ever had anyone in them. I was sitting 300 level immediately to right of midfield ESPN cameras. Had great view if field, and across field to opposing fans' seats.
BTW, after all over, camera guy says, "I'm not supposed to say things like this, but that was the most exciting game I've ever seen". Not a direct quote, I don't want to get him in trouble.
I’ll second this. I was in 338 and it was clear we had them outnumbered by 3/4-1. Willie Fritz said today in some interviews that there were 30,000 to 40,000 Tulane fans there. We took over
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

If you're not taking into account "neutral" fans, 2-1 sounds right. There were 55,000 fans. 2-1 would be about 37,000 for Tulane and 18,000 for USC. It wasn't 3 or 4-1. That would mean like 41K to 14K or 45K to 10K. USC had closer to 20K fans it looked like. I was actually surprised they had as many as they did.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

There were times during the game when it was as loud as peak Fogelman.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

It was a beautiful site indeed. And meeting Pete, FW, Slidell Wave, and many others was special. The post game scene leaving AT&T and going straight to Texas Live reminded of a much more scaled down version of leaving Fogleman in Pete’s era and heading to the Boot or Bruno’s. I felt it today (haven’t slept that long in years and haven’t felt that hungover in years), but would do it again in a heartbeat.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

Speaking of our fans, huge shout out to the Streetcar Alumni! A large portion of our fan base never took a class at Tulane but still love the Wave through thick and a lot of thin. Many have donated their time and money to support our athletics programs.

They had many opportunities to jump ship over the years, but they stuck with us. Thank you!
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Unread post by SlidellWave »

What also amazed me was that I met quite a few parents of current students. One set of parents was there and their kid wasn't (is studying abroad and doesn't get back until mid January). So the fact that the students are buying in and getting the parents too as well is pretty great.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:44 pm The way Jerry World is set up, you really can't see anyone other than your tier and can't really hear them either. It's also darn near impossible to get around the place without going up and down and through halls and stupid stuff, or else I would have considered meandering to their side just to hear/see our crowd. I can say that whenever USC fans roared it was LOUD on our side and I kept wondering how it sounded on their side when we roared. I suspect it was loud.

But USC brought way more people than some here expected. To the point where I wondered whether they just have Dallas alumni who were not out in town but came to the game.
Sorry I didn’t see you. It seems we weren’t far apart in the stands and if you saw 1401973 I don’t know how I missed you.

That stadium is strange and you broke it down well. God forbid anything ever goes really wrong there but if it does, God help them. I swear getting to my seat reminded me of going to hockey games at Municipal Auditorium. It’s so unnecessary but I do have to point out that the people working there were all nice and helpful.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Carolina Greenie
Navigator Level

Unread post by Carolina Greenie »

QuarterbackU wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 pm
FW wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:54 pm
QuarterbackU wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:47 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:26 pm Guess on crowd. 3-1 or 4-1 Wave?
57/43 Tulane.

I also count Traveler the horse as five fans.
Did Traveler ever poop on the field? I was waiting for that.
I don’t think so. However, I can’t say the same for the USC kick returner.
:-D
You made me smile!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Different factoid about ATT. There was a Cowboys team store selling gear behind Tulane sections on 200 level. I probably passed it twenty times during game. At most I saw one fan in there a couple of times.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

You could see both sides from the endzones and I think a 60/40 advantage to Tulane seems appropriate.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:45 am going to hockey games at Municipal Auditorium.
Loved going there despite (because of?) the idiosyncracies!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
kevinv
Trainer

Unread post by kevinv »

I still have no voice! Unbelievable.
2palmer0
Riptide Level

Unread post by 2palmer0 »

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington-whatever appears to just go on forever and so it's possible we were just segregated but I hadn't seen any USC fans on my flight from Boston (compared to 20+ in Tulane gear), around the stadium for the events on Sunday, or pregame on Monday. We kept asking our drivers if they had seen any or picked any up and they indicated they hadn't either. I was actually shocked when the game started to see USC have any fans there at all. It felt to me like the representation at the game was pretty even but that may have been a product of the stadium. You really couldn't see any of the other sections on your side. It was still awesome at the Gaylord, the events, and the game to see so much Tulane stuff and so many fans. My friends and I remarked multiple times that we never saw this many Tulane people in one place in New Orleans or on campus while we were in school. To Pete's earlier comment, we moved at half time from the 300 section in the Tulane allotment section down to the 100s near the other end zone (still Tulane side) and it took the entire halftime to get over there with multiple wrong turns and stops for directions. They really didn't design that stadium for ease of getting around. Also the PA system and/or the acoustics were terrible. We couldn't hear anything they said the entire game. But WHAT A GAME! Best sports experience of my life. I graduated '03 so only about 20 years of waiting for me but WOW, just WOW!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Agree with 2palmer0 about the acoustics. We couldn't hear anything that was said by anyone on the Jerrytron, whether it be the refs or commercials or whatever. It seemed like if you weren't directly under a speaker, it was just too loud and echoey. In the club seating area I think the speakers were actually in the suites behind us.

We did hear "the ball never touched the ground" at the end because every fan was holding their breath and you could have heard a pin drop... :mrgreen: