Uni of St Thomas (MN) announces $75 million facilities upgrade

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Uni of St Thomas (MN) announces $75 million facilities upgrade

Post by purplehaz3 »

https://twitter.com/fos/status/16160917 ... 4fCJaMHEaw

If the University of St Thomas can come up with $75 million for a state of the art hockey and basketball arena, surely we can double that? If Dannen can’t secure funding, this one is definitely on him. Look at that arena folks, then look at Devlin. Didn’t Yulman cost less than the St Thomas arena?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Uni of St Thomas (MN) announces $75 million facilities upgrade

Post by PeteRasche »

It's the 9th-largest known gift in college sports history.
So they have a really large whale who really likes hockey.

Who do we have that:
1. Really thinks football or basketball is a worthy investment,
2. Has that kind of coin, and
3. Hasn't already given a LOT of money (that eliminates Yulman, Glazer, Benson, Goldring, Hertz, even the Yahoo guys who gave to academics)?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:31 pm

Who do we have that:
3. Hasn't already given a LOT of money (that eliminates Yulman, Glazer, Benson, Goldring, Hertz, even the Yahoo guys who gave to academics)?
How would any of us know? And I would think that if we're looking for this kind of money, the first place you start is with people that have given already.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It was more rhetorical, ml. I wouldn't expect us to know (necessarily). In reality, we have multiple generations of alumni who haven't ever seen a serious, performance-based, inspirational reason to donate. Perhaps this past season will begin to change that.

My high school got a single $50M donation this past year. My high school. Are Tulane alumni that tight? Because I know there are plenty with that level of money.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Alumni come back to New Orleans, often dont visit campus. Being good at sports is a reason to visit and get interested again.

Being good and on tv is the key.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Regardless, we've done very little on facilities (or presumably fundraising)in the last 8 years. That has to change; and we certainly got a massive jumpstart for it to change.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Obviously we've beaten this dead horse carcass a dozen or more times in the past year alone, but this past season could be the first real chance for us to see where our donation situation stands. For over two decades - many would argue 3 to 6? - Tulane has not shown enough legitimate promise in football that a semi-interested graduate might feel it was worth throwing a huge chunk of money at. 1998 got things going but (to a grad who was otherwise disinterested previously), it suffered from the media/BCS argument that we'd not played anyone challenging, and then it was derailed by the Scelfo hiring mess and subsequent return-to-mean before anyone felt compelled to open their pocketbooks wide. There also wasn't social media to put the season, the bowl game, the good vibes, and the highlights in everyone's face for weeks after (just a year-in-review videotape you had to buy :lol: ). In 1998 there were probably lots of grads who got an email saying we'd gone undefeated and won a bowl and went, "oh, how about that? I might have to watch a game next year". This time we beat a national name on a massively-national stage and it's been in everyone's social feeds since, from Tulane University, Tulane Alumni, and every other Tulane-related account you might like/subscribe/follow. This feels extraordinarily bigger and more positive than 1998. And this time we kept our coach and our QB didn't graduate.

All of this to say, we really don't know whether the lack of facilities funding is a function of us not having alumni who care about sports, or if it was just a function of us sucking so bad for so long that nobody with the money would ever have considered it a worthwhile cause. Every time someone wants to get a burr up their butt about how the AD "isn't doing his job" needs to consider that very few people are willing to invest millions (or tens of millions) in something that is a huge risk, or even worse, would associate their name with a massive loser. That is the one thing - the only thing - I will give RD credit for in his time, was that despite him running our entire department into the ground and then backing a bus over it, he somehow, some way, managed to get big donors to pony up for facilities. Hertz, Yulman, Glazer, Benson... he must have really shmoozed well. I guess that's his only skill. Maybe there would have been 5 to 10 more if he'd actually hired good coaches and we'd had winning teams instead.

So the next few months to year or two will tell a much clearer tale of whether there are indeed big whale-type donors who've just been waiting for a reason to think their money is a worthwhile investment, or who now feel that their name on a building will be associated with a winner... or if we really just plain don't have many sports-interested alumni. We shall see.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Dannen said shortly after the Cotton Bowl win that we'd know in a month. So we should know in about 2 weeks. This is now or never. It's not going to get any better than what we just did. As much as we want to be confident that next year we can grab that NY6 slot again there is a good chance we don't based on what we lose. So urgency is the order of the day. Please get it done Troy.
We deserve so much better
nolasilver
Coach Level

Post by nolasilver »

I agree we must strike while the iron is hot. I also agree it will be fascinating to see if there are new athletic whales after this season, fingers crossed. It is amazing how we have had 8 figure donations ($25m med school donation for example) in our grad schools from individuals, would love to see that happen with our athletics.

I think we have a solid shot at the NY6. Obviously we need the new DC to mesh well, and we need our next generations of linebacker etc to step up. I’m not l worried about our offense, we have reloaded. I think making the conference championship game is our floor.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:31 pm

Who do we have that:
How would any of us know? And I would think that if we're looking for this kind of money, the first place you start is with people that have given already.
The Glazers own two professional sports teams, in the 2 biggest leagues in the world. They have plenty of money left. It’s up to Dannen to get them to write the checks. $50-$100 million should be easy to obtain.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Curious. If you were personally called out by name publicly by an anonymous poster, would that make you more likely to donate any thing to anybody especially if the poster said the donation is only chump change to you?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:07 am Curious. If you were personally called out by name publicly by an anonymous poster, would that make you more likely to donate any thing to anybody especially if the poster said the donation is only chump change to you?
At the moment we need to worry about mega-donors getting upset about things we post here, we made it! :mrgreen:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Believe it or don’t, this forum is followed very closely by Tulane PTB. So if you want to deliver a message to them as a worker in the field, this is your place. So as in any appeal, use this access wisely.
nolasilver
Coach Level

Post by nolasilver »

purplehaz3 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:32 am

Who do we have that:
The Glazers own two professional sports teams, in the 2 biggest leagues in the world. They have plenty of money left. It’s up to Dannen to get them to write the checks. $50-$100 million should be easy to obtain.
The Glazers are also reportedly about to sell Man U, so there will be a additional large windfall for them. They purchased it for ~ $1.5b, and are seeking $6-7B for its sale.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:16 am Believe it or don’t, this forum is followed very closely by Tulane PTB. So if you want to deliver a message to them as a worker in the field, this is your place. So as in any appeal, use this access wisely.
Following the forum and having billionaires get upset at what us peons post are a little different. Honestly I'd like to think I wouldn't give a F
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:10 am
Baywave1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:16 am Believe it or don’t, this forum is followed very closely by Tulane PTB. So if you want to deliver a message to them as a worker in the field, this is your place. So as in any appeal, use this access wisely.
Following the forum and having billionaires get upset at what us peons post are a little different. Honestly I'd like to think I wouldn't give a F
"Oh, you think Tulane doesn't have mega-donors? I'll show you!"
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

purplehaz3 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:32 am

Who do we have that:
Do you understand the difference between asset and liquidity?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

Tulane is one of the best teams in college football at the moment. I imagine it shouldn’t be too hard to get people to invest
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:10 am
The main problem with people posting that it’s just chump change to billionaires has more than a whiff of “free riders applauding” to it. Yes the mega donors do read it and know it. Most if not all hate it because it’s real easy to tell the other guy what to do while free riders sit on their hands.

Will some of these folks give anchor gifts? Quite possibly. But I now suspect they could be matching challenge donations in part or whole. “If Green Wave nation ponies up so will we.”

If you want the facilities, expect to open your wallets. Then with luck, our pennies will be followed by their dollars.