2023 Jazz Festival performers listed

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

2023 Jazz Festival performers listed

Post by AO Sig »

I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned the list of performers for this year's Jazz Fest. A few interesting groups listed; it is interesting that Dead and Company will be part of the second weekend. They are on their "Farewell tour", has already sold out three nights in San Francisco (not a surprise), plus doing concerts in Cancun this weekend. The song "Truckin' " has a verse that describes why the Grateful Dead avoided concerts in New Orleans for many years.

Robert Plant and Allison Kraus will be the first weekend; the ultimate odd couple of performers who have really created great music. Anyway, looks like a ton of local groups both weekends
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 2023 Jazz Festival performers listed

Post by PeteRasche »

I was impressed at the mix of old, new, and in-between artists. Weather-permitting (obviously), they should get pretty good crowds for that reason.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

The Grateful Dead played the first concert at the Warehouse on Tchoupitoulas Street In 1970. The opening acts were The Flock and Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green). They were busted for drugs that weekend. I must have attended 30 or 40 concerts there in the early years.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:31 am The Grateful Dead played the first concert at the Warehouse on Tchoupitoulas Street In 1970. The opening acts were The Flock and Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green). They were busted for drugs that weekend.
So is that literally the occasion that inspired the line in "Truckin'"?
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:11 am
doc wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:31 am The Grateful Dead played the first concert at the Warehouse on Tchoupitoulas Street In 1970. The opening acts were The Flock and Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green). They were busted for drugs that weekend.
So is that literally the occasion that inspired the line in "Truckin'"?
Right you are, Pete. The Dead did not play in New Orleans for decades because of that episode; resulted in being highlighted in two verses in that song.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

AO Sig wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:20 pm

Robert Plant and Allison Kraus will be the first weekend; the ultimate odd couple of performers who have really created great music. Anyway, looks like a ton of local groups both weekends
Their first collaboration is a classic, but I find their second album (the recent one) almost insufferable.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

This is the first time seeing the lineup. They could just take 2-3 bands from each of lines 2-9 and have a good fest. There are others bands further down that are pretty good too.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poster is very cool too. I'm pretty sure it's the first that's not a performer and first that's landscape rather than portrait.

"QUARTER (LOVE) NOTE"
A Portrait of New Orleans’ French Quarter
by James Michalopoulos
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:25 pm Poster is very cool too. I'm pretty sure it's the first that's not a performer and first that's landscape rather than portrait.

"QUARTER (LOVE) NOTE"
by James Michalopoulos
How many have been left to right instead of top to bottom?
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

You didn't actually read what I wrote, huh? 8)
(distracted by the beauty of the art, I'm sure)
WaveProf wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:51 pm How many have been left to right instead of top to bottom?
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:25 pm Poster is very cool too. I'm pretty sure it's the first that's not a performer and first that's landscape rather than portrait.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:51 pm

"QUARTER (LOVE) NOTE"
by James Michalopoulos
How many have been left to right instead of top to bottom?
Looks like '86, '94 and 2019.
https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life ... 77c75.html
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I had no recollection of that 2019 poster, it must have not left an impression on me because it's just a "Sgt. Pepper" compilation thing instead of a painting.
P. S. Not that it likely needs to be said but that nola.com slideshow site is horribly obnoxious
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:06 pm You didn't actually read what I wrote, huh? 8)
(distracted by the beauty of the art, I'm sure)
I did, I just (obviously) didn't read it very well :mrgreen:
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

AO Sig wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:20 pm I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned the list of performers for this year's Jazz Fest. A few interesting groups listed; it is interesting that Dead and Company will be part of the second weekend. They are on their "Farewell tour", has already sold out three nights in San Francisco (not a surprise), plus doing concerts in Cancun this weekend. The song "Truckin' " has a verse that describes why the Grateful Dead avoided concerts in New Orleans for many years.

Here's a retrospective on what happened:

https://64parishes.org/bust-fund-babies