2023 Coaching Carousel Begins…..

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
doc
President's Circle

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel Begins…..

Post by doc »

Rick Pitino lives at Winged Foot, so if he took the St John’s job he would not have to move.

Former Tulane assistant Anthony Wilkins will be interim Head Coach while Georgia Tech searches for a replacement for Josh Pastner.

Rick Stansbury has resigned his position as head coach at Western Kentucky. He had been there 7 years. Former LSU HC Will Wade’s name has already been mentioned.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Tulane ends another career as Wichita St has fired Isaac Brown.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Will Wade sign a 5 year deal to coach McNeese State.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Northwestern State HC Corey Gipson has moved to Austin Peay. He played at Austin Peay as an undergraduate.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Looks like Damon Stoudamire will be named Ga. Tech head coach later today. Also, if Will Wade gets hit with a 5-year show cause ruling from NCAA due to his transgressions at LSU won't McNeese be without their head coach and have to look elsewhere?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

doc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:09 am Northwestern State HC Corey Gipson has moved to Austin Peay. He played at Austin Peay as an undergraduate.
I watched exactly one nw st game this year, the swac final against Texas a&m cc. I was really impressed by his coaching tactics in the second half as he nearly willed his team to an upset. The pressing and traps his guys executed were really well done.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Aaron McKie has stepped down as Temple HC and will take another job in the Temple athletic department.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

doc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:09 am Northwestern State HC Corey Gipson has moved to Austin Peay. He played at Austin Peay as an undergraduate.
And announced they are giving him a 5 game suspension to start next season.
Tulane Greenbackers

doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Coppin State fired Juan Dixon.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

waverider wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:21 pm
A lot of that going around!
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:32 am
Presumably you are speaking of the 5-game suspension that Will Wade received and will be taking at McNeese State.
In typical Tarkanianesque fashion, the NCAA punishes McNeese State for something that happened at LSU.

(yeah, I know you can blame MSU for hiring him but it's just more fun to bash LSU and the NCAA)
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Arkansas State fires HC Mike Balado.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:58 am
Presumably you are speaking of the 5-game suspension that Will Wade received and will be taking at McNeese State.
In typical Tarkanianesque fashion, the NCAA punishes McNeese State for something that happened at LSU.

(yeah, I know you can blame MSU for hiring him but it's just more fun to bash LSU and the NCAA)
Yeah. I was on my phone and grabbed the wrong post when replying. Will Wade will be suspended the first 5 McNeese games.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

To be clear that is not his NCAA penalty. That is being imposed by MSU along with other recruiting restrictions as part of his contract as they try to get ahead of the NCAA.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:29 pm

To be clear that is not his NCAA penalty. That is being imposed by MSU along with other recruiting restrictions as part of his contract as they try to get ahead of the NCAA.
Very bizarre. We're going to hire this guy, suspend him before he even starts and voluntarily harm our program for things he did elsewhere. If he's that good of a coach, he's just going to leave for a better job anyway.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

All true. But cynically it may take five years for this to blow over meanwhile McNeese views it has a better coach than normal.

Wade can paint this like a weed possession conviction before a state changed its law to allow it legally. He can simply say that he was ahead of his time “with strong a$$ offers” before NIL arrived.

The list is endless with rehabbed coaches with Freeze simply being the most recent example
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:19 am All true. But cynically it may take five years for this to blow over meanwhile McNeese views it has a better coach than normal.

Wade can paint this like a weed possession conviction before a state changed its law to allow it legally. He can simply say that he was ahead of his time “with strong a$$ offers” before NIL arrived.

The list is endless with rehabbed coaches with Freeze simply being the most recent example
Sure, all coaches get rehabbed eventually but Liberty didn't preemptively penalize itself for things Freeze did at Ole Miss. This is a new low.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Agree. It’s a new low
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Pitino makes the long rumored move to st John's.

Usf hiring Mike brey...that's a move
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10 pm Pitino makes the long rumored move to st John's.

Brey’s “retirement “ from Notre Dame certainly was extended. With both Pitino and Brey, I guess social security age is the new forty.

I have no guess if this truly improves USF program. I guess it’s a plus for St John’s.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:25 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10 pm Pitino makes the long rumored move to st John's.

Brey’s “retirement “ from Notre Dame certainly was extended. With both Pitino and Brey, I guess social security age is the new forty.

I have no guess if this truly improves USF program. I guess it’s a plus for St John’s.
Pitino was good at Iona. He seems to still have it.

For Brey, it's probably a nice paycheck job. USF will pay decent, though maybe not ACC levels, and in Florida he'll save a bunch on taxes. Tampa > South Bend for retirement purposes, too. I don't know if it will work either, but I think it's a better shot at a splash hire than Dunleavy was for us.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

And just like that, FDU's coach gets the Iona job. Tobin Anderson is the name and he was only there one year but obviously pulled off a major upset.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Reports are now that Brey did not get the USF job and will look for a TV job.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

wavedom wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:50 am

Reports are now that Brey did not get the USF job and will look for a TV job.
Whoa, what a weird turn of events.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Actually not that weird. As soon as it was put out there they he had the job it was put out there by others that in fact an offer had not been made. Just typical of reporters in this day and age wanting to be the first.