Artificial Intelligence - Our next AD is a robot?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Artificial Intelligence - Our next AD is a robot?

Unread post by GreenHeart »

Most of you are familiar with the OpenAI platform which has received $billions from Microsoft to enhance development. (That's not hyperbole... they have invested billions with a 'B'). It's use by Tulane students is being debated:

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/62237/news ... ts-merits/

I've spent far too much time playing with the portal recently. Check out the response to a couple of my queries:

Tulane football is currently in the AAC, a G5 conference. What could the program do to enhance the likelihood of being promoted to a major P5 conference such as the Big 12?
Promotion to a major Power Five (P5) conference such as the Big 12 is a difficult and competitive process, and it depends on a variety of factors. Here are a few things that Tulane Football program could do to enhance their chances of being promoted:
  • Continue to win: Winning consistently is one of the most important factors that conferences consider when evaluating potential new members. The more successful Tulane is on the field, the more likely they are to be considered by a P5 conference.
  • Increase its fan base and attendance: A strong fan base and high attendance numbers demonstrate the program's level of support and popularity in the community. This can be achieved by building a solid fan base, providing a good game day experience and by promoting the team through social media and other advertising.
  • Improve the facilities: Power Five conferences have some of the best facilities in the country, and Tulane will have to be able to match them in order to be considered. Investing in better facilities, such as a new stadium, can help increase the program's visibility and demonstrate that it is capable of supporting a P5 program.
  • Strong Recruiting: P5 conferences typically have the best players in the country and Tulane Football program will have to be able to recruit at a high level in order to compete. Building a strong recruiting network and targeting top talent can help ensure that the team is consistently competitive.
  • Strong Financial Support: P5 conferences offer the most lucrative television contracts and other revenue streams. Tulane Football program will need to be able to demonstrate that it has the financial support to keep up with the expenses of a P5 program and that it has a stable financial future.
It's worth noting that the process of being promoted to a P5 conference is not only based on the performance of the football program, but also on the overall athletic department and the University itself. These are just some of the things that Tulane Football program could do to enhance its chances of being promoted, but it's important to keep in mind that the process is complex and competitive.
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Re: Artificial Intelligence - Our next AD is a robot?

Unread post by GreenHeart »

Testing the creative ability of the AI tool, I gave it this command:

Write a few lines of rap music lyrics to celebrate Tulane's Cotton Bowl victory over USC. Here's the verbatim response a few milliseconds later:
Tulane Green Wave, we made our mark
In the Cotton Bowl, we lit the spark
We took down USC, with a force to be feared
We ain't no underdogs, we're the team to be cleared

Chorus:
We got the victory, we got the glory
Tulane Green Wave, we told the story
We took down USC, and proved them wrong
We're the team to beat, we're singing our song

Verse 2:
We worked hard, and we played with heart
We left it all on the field, right from the start
We showed the world, we're more than just a team
We're a force to be reckoned with, we're the Tulane dream

Chorus:
We got the victory, we got the glory
Tulane Green Wave, we told the story
We took down USC, and proved them wrong
We're the team to beat, we're singing our song

Outro:
We're the champions, we're the best
Tulane Green Wave, we passed the test
We're the Cotton Bowl victors, and we're here to stay
Tulane Green Wave, we're on our way.
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

As good as this poem?

In the land of the pelican state,
Where the sun beats down hot and bright,
A team took to the field to play,
With determination burning bright.

Tulane Green Wave, with pride and might,
Fought for every yard and play,
Their grit and will, a guiding light,
To lead them on their way.

In the Cotton Bowl they stood tall,
Facing off against the foe,
With hearts beating, they gave it their all,
For the victory they'd come to know.

Touchdown after touchdown,
The crowd roared with delight,
Tulane Green Wave had won the crown,
The Cotton Bowl, their shining light.

So raise a glass to the victors,
Tulane Green Wave, the champions,
Their determination and grit,
Will forever be remembered.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

On another note, I read an article last night that within 5 to 7 years, AI will have basically mastered on-the-fly language translation almost flawlessly. In other words, you'd have an earpiece and anyone could say anything to you in any language and it would translate it into your ear in real time.

Just imagine the unity and harmony that will achieve... Chewbacca can converse with a Klingon at Comic-Con. :coolshades:

{Insert any and all obligatory Terminator-based "machines take over the world" references here.}
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

GreenHeart wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 am Most of you are familiar with the OpenAI platform which has received $billions from Microsoft to enhance development. (That's not hyperbole... they have invested billions with a 'B'). It's use by Tulane students is being debated:

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/62237/news ... ts-merits/

I've spent far too much time playing with the portal recently. Check out the response to a couple of my queries:

Tulane football is currently in the AAC, a G5 conference. What could the program do to enhance the likelihood of being promoted to a major P5 conference such as the Big 12?
Promotion to a major Power Five (P5) conference such as the Big 12 is a difficult and competitive process, and it depends on a variety of factors. Here are a few things that Tulane Football program could do to enhance their chances of being promoted:
  • Continue to win: Winning consistently is one of the most important factors that conferences consider when evaluating potential new members. The more successful Tulane is on the field, the more likely they are to be considered by a P5 conference.
  • Increase its fan base and attendance: A strong fan base and high attendance numbers demonstrate the program's level of support and popularity in the community. This can be achieved by building a solid fan base, providing a good game day experience and by promoting the team through social media and other advertising.
  • Improve the facilities: Power Five conferences have some of the best facilities in the country, and Tulane will have to be able to match them in order to be considered. Investing in better facilities, such as a new stadium, can help increase the program's visibility and demonstrate that it is capable of supporting a P5 program.
  • Strong Recruiting: P5 conferences typically have the best players in the country and Tulane Football program will have to be able to recruit at a high level in order to compete. Building a strong recruiting network and targeting top talent can help ensure that the team is consistently competitive.
  • Strong Financial Support: P5 conferences offer the most lucrative television contracts and other revenue streams. Tulane Football program will need to be able to demonstrate that it has the financial support to keep up with the expenses of a P5 program and that it has a stable financial future.
It's worth noting that the process of being promoted to a P5 conference is not only based on the performance of the football program, but also on the overall athletic department and the University itself. These are just some of the things that Tulane Football program could do to enhance its chances of being promoted, but it's important to keep in mind that the process is complex and competitive.
Writes more coherent copy than Ed-bot! Maybe he needs a software upgrade
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

I thought we already tried the 'robot as our AD' approach and it went poorly.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

MattK wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:22 am I thought we already tried the 'robot as our AD' approach and it went poorly.
This.

The AI fad is cute and all, but it ain't serious. There will be serious applications, but not near as widespread as people want to imagine.

I do think Pete's thought about language translation is soon to come to fruition. I don't know if it's a good thing for humanity or not (time will tell), but I do think it'll happen.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:27 pm
MattK wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:22 am I thought we already tried the 'robot as our AD' approach and it went poorly.
This.

The AI fad is cute and all, but it ain't serious. There will be serious applications, but not near as widespread as people want to imagine.

I do think Pete's thought about language translation is soon to come to fruition. I don't know if it's a good thing for humanity or not (time will tell), but I do think it'll happen.
About the only downsides are school foreign language teachers being unemployed, and the arguable concept of "the wonderful experience of learning another language and all the great things that does for a person's life" blah blah blah.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:54 pm About the only downsides are school foreign language teachers being unemployed, and the arguable concept of "the wonderful experience of learning another language and all the great things that does for a person's life" blah blah blah.
I wonder whether that would accelerate or decelerate the rate at which languages disappear. I suspect that a lot of the persons making the foreign language argument ignore the problem already that the real applications to which the overwhelming majority of persons put foreign languages never reach the sources of cultural richness the teachers trumpet. (And I write that as someone who likes to read novels in other languages.)

And how would translator tools handle the word salad common among many prominent (non-CWF) coaches: make them more intelligible or less?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:54 pm
About the only downsides are school foreign language teachers being unemployed, and the arguable concept of "the wonderful experience of learning another language and all the great things that does for a person's life" blah blah blah.
How about linguistic and cultural imperialism? The slow but inevitable dwindling of difference in the world? A continue lessening of the need to understand or negotiate difference? Those seem slightly more important downsides than the ones you mention. I'm not saying they necessarily outweigh the upsides. These are bigger discussions than I have time, energy, or patience to debate here, and I'm not even sure which side of the debate I'd fall on, but any potential resistance I might voice wouldn't have even included the things you mention.
Last edited by WaveProf on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:06 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:54 pm About the only downsides are school foreign language teachers being unemployed, and the arguable concept of "the wonderful experience of learning another language and all the great things that does for a person's life" blah blah blah.
I wonder whether that would accelerate or decelerate the rate at which languages disappear. I suspect that a lot of the persons making the foreign language argument ignore the problem already that the real applications to which the overwhelming majority of persons put foreign languages never reach the sources of cultural richness the teachers trumpet. (And I write that as someone who likes to read novels in other languages.)

And how would translator tools handle the word salad common among many prominent (non-CWF) coaches: make them more intelligible or less?
How many languages can it translate cookie monster Cajun into?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:17 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:54 pm
How about linguistic and cultural imperialism? The slow but inevitable dwindling of difference in the world? A continue lessening of the need to understand or negotiate difference? Those seem slightly more important downsides than the ones you mention. I'm not saying they necessarily outweigh the upsides. These are bigger discussions than I have time, energy, or patience to debate here, and I'm not even sure which side of the debate I'd fall on, but any potential resistance I might voice wouldn't have even included the things you mention.
My "blah blah blah" was basically me not wanting to type out all of that.

But nobody's saying we're all going to speak the same language and therefore lose identity and differences, this would be the opposite. Instead of us dang Americans expecting people to learn English, everyone would just speak their native language and anyone could understand. If you want to learn another language and not need an earpiece, go right ahead.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:38 pm
But nobody's saying we're all going to speak the same language and therefore lose identity and differences, this would be the opposite. Instead of us dang Americans expecting people to learn English, everyone would just speak their native language and anyone could understand.
What you propose is certainly one possible outcome, an not an unlikely one, which is why I admit repeatedly I'm not sure which side I'm on for cost/benefit. But the history of what the end result/effect of capitalism and technology that promises to "connect" us has on micrcommunities is such that I remain, at minimum, suspicious.....to be convinced. No one ever "says" the plan is to cause us all to speak the same language et al, it just ends up being a side effect of the new technology. But, again, I'm not saying this will go that way. I think I could make a strong argument it could go either way. And no matter which way I argue, it's going to happen, eventually. So it'll be interesting to see which way it plays out.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 pm ... I remain, at minimum, suspicious.....
As we all should be with everything tech- and especially AI-related. 8)

I think it's well past time we get back to our regularly-scheduled programming.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I put this thread as a solid number two in early returns for “2023” thread of the year after consolidated CB highlights.

However I nominate the following for Post of the Decade:
I don’t know if that can be bested before we play in the 2030 Sugar Bowl.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:37 pm
WaveProf wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 pm ... I remain, at minimum, suspicious.....
As we all should be with everything tech- and especially AI-related. 8)

I think it's well past time we get back to our regularly-scheduled programming.
It's all daisy's and lollipops until there's a serious mistranslation or nefarious states, hackers, trolls, federal agents, or any number of people manipulate the code.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
cbotto71
Junior

Unread post by cbotto71 »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:54 am On another note, I read an article last night that within 5 to 7 years, AI will have basically mastered on-the-fly language translation almost flawlessly. In other words, you'd have an earpiece and anyone could say anything to you in any language and it would translate it into your ear in real time.}
I already have a fish in my ear thank you very much.

That rap however is worthy of an Eminem movie...
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

cbotto71 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:04 pm
I already have a fish in my ear thank you very much.
Towel at the ready?
nolasilver
Coach Level

Unread post by nolasilver »

Did anyone see the rest of the interview between TD and Ed Bot ? Seems like that should have gotten some coverage. In the Twitter clip that’s when TD confirmed we were getting a bubble etc