Tulane loses game 1 in the Baton Rouge Regional

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane in the Baton Rouge Regional

Unread post by tjtlja »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:15 pm
tjtlja wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:18 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:56 am
tjtlja wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:52 am Lsu got the biggest layup of all the regionals. For the #5 team in the country, they were treated as though they were #1.

Campbell got screwed, and Auburn got a gift. Arizona got the biggest gift, and UC Irvine was screwed. The west coast was ignored and that is a huge flaw in the system.
Playing Tulane is a layup? You have just cashed in your fan card. You will have to work hard to win it back
Look, I am thrilled we got in. Hopefully we can piggyback this into getting some talented pitchers to consider Tulane and perhaps we can get this program back on the right track. I am just being realistic. Lsu has probably the best two players in the draft with Skenes and Crews. Skenes is approaching 200+ strikeouts. They also have 10 other guys that will be drafted. They are a professional team right now. I hate lsu, but the talent cannot be ignored. Their only weakness is the bullpen and their 3rd starter. If Skenes were to have an off night, lsu could be in a battle with someone. But I don’t think it is Sam Houston, Oregon State, or us. And may I say I hope I eat my own words.
Sorry, friend, you’re a fan first. Save the other stuff like “You know Caleb Williams is the Heisman Trophy winner” for the sports book. So keep your wallet closed Friday and let’s lead with our hearts. I fully expect LSU to be -350 or -400 or even more in money line. ECU was -285 and you saw how that turned out.

Remember ESPN guys yesterday: “No one, no one wants to play Tulane in the regional.”

I hope LSU guy is arrogant enough to hold Skenes for second game. Carmouche played as a backup on a national champion team. He knows pressure. Banks at this moment may be the hottest hitter in college baseball even more valuable than Crews. No that is not tall talk

I’m thinking 1982 football and I’m sorry Reginelli still doesn’t play baseball

You still have to play the game. So LSU with its NIL roster filled with souped up F150s in parking lot mat run rule Tulane. Or maybe while they nap in their custom locker room pods confirming their Omaha reservations they find out the hard way you still have to play the game.

I doubt there is a bigger a tulane fan here than you. But I’m not moaning and groaning about anything until I see the final box score. Perhaps then we will still be living the dream

If you can improbably be 19-40 in the NCAAs, you sure as hell can be improbably 20-40 in the winners bracket Saturday and have nice cushy seats behind home place to yourself in the Box as their bandwagon fans will nowhere to be found
Bay, your analysis above is completely fair. I just don’t see us beating the team they have currently constructed vs. the team we currently have constructed. But I can tell you I am as big a Tulane fan as anyone and I will be living and dying through every pitch on Friday.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:28 pm
1309th WAVE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:12 pm My source of intel on this is lsu fans, well known for being reliable narrators, but they seem to think Skenes will either not start on Friday or even be a full scratch. The pessimism is what it is, but I don't know what they would have seen from the best college pitcher in 2023 down the stretch for them to say that.
1309, love reading your replies. Very insightful and informative.

As much as I hate to say it, I would save Skenes for the 2nd game. I also think there may be a larger picture here. Skenes will be the first player taken in the draft. If he were to injure his arm between now and the draft, it would cost the young man millions. Something to consider.

I will throw out another scenario. Do we consider not throwing Carmouche or Castro in game one and take our chances in the losers bracket? It is interesting to think about. What is considered a success for Tulane in a regional for the first time since 2016 with a 19-40 record. One win, two wins, or the entire regional. What can you sell recruits from frankly an awful year. If you win a game or two, you have plenty to sell. If you get eliminated right away, do you have as much to sell. Or do you go for broke and sell the AAC tournament? All I know is we need an influx of players, especially pitchers. What is the best scenario to get recruits to consider us a desirable option as we had for so many years?
I love you to death as a Tulane fan and often intentionally read your posts first. However you have drunk the purple Kool-aid and we ain’t even on the field yet. I’ll drink the green stuff with Uhlman and see you Friday night for chapter two about this. And if I’m coming out of OR with multiple wounds then I’ll just take an EMT with me to the game Saturday. Maybe games? I’m not naive about this

Sit out Skenes because he has $10 million on the line? All I can think of is the USC all world player who sat out the Cotton Bowl and Spears who said (my paraphrase): “These are my brothers. I’m playing,”
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

As doc said we’re play with house money. Start Dylan and hope the bats stay hot.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

you can buy tickets via the Oregon St. website but the big CAVEAT is that you are only buying for games that Oregon State takes part in. They are not selling tourney booklets. And you have to pick up your tickets in person with photo ID at Alex Box stadium on game days. whopping fees attached ... A $15 face value ticket has a $4 service charge attached plus a $10 extra service charge for stadium pick by by you the ticket owner. Total cost for each game $29. Your credit card is charged each time Oregon State plays. So, if they go 2 and q total cost is $58.
link:
https://osubeavers.evenue.net/cgi-bin/n ... v_oregonst
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

randymc wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:07 pm you can buy tickets via the Oregon St. website but the big CAVEAT is that you are only buying for games that Oregon State takes part in. They are not selling tourney booklets. And you have to pick up your tickets in person with photo ID at Alex Box stadium on game days. whopping fees attached ... A $15 face value ticket has a $4 service charge attached plus a $10 extra service charge for stadium pick by by you the ticket owner. Total cost for each game $29. Your credit card is charged each time Oregon State plays. So, if they go 2 and q total cost is $58.
link:
Thanks for posting randy! That at least means paper tickets are available.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

Jay Johnson declined to comment on any starting pitcher availability/injury situations. Whether that's petty information warfare or his truthful take on it is hard to determine
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

1309th WAVE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:12 pm My source of intel on this is lsu fans, well known for being reliable narrators, but they seem to think Skenes will either not start on Friday or even be a full scratch. The pessimism is what it is, but I don't know what they would have seen from the best college pitcher in 2023 down the stretch for them to say that.
It has been LSU's custom to not start their ace in the Friday game of Regionals.
We deserve so much better
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Say what you want about this team, but there’s way more talent here than what is normally on the SWAC/MAAC/NEC team that usually rolls in to BR as 4-seed.

(Hat tip to the Rickie Weeks Southern team that got royally screwed in 2002 or so).
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Just looking at this thread, only 15 people have commented on the regional this weekend. Far cry from the old days. Hopefully interest picks up as the weekend approaches.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

wavedom wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:52 pm
It has been LSU's custom to not start their ace in the Friday game of Regionals.
One would think, but we're not a typical 4 seed for... many reasons. Tulane's presence here is hard to model because there's no precedent for this. This was a black swan event, defying every expectation in ways we've said over and over. Every time I examine Tulane's AAC title run again some other freaky outlier jumps out at me.

I will probably die before ever understanding it even halfway.

It's nice to have fun with this again.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:28 pm
I will throw out another scenario. Do we consider not throwing Carmouche or Castro in game one and take our chances in the losers bracket? It is interesting to think about. What is considered a success for Tulane in a regional for the first time since 2016 with a 19-40 record. One win, two wins, or the entire regional. What can you sell recruits from frankly an awful year. If you win a game or two, you have plenty to sell. If you get eliminated right away, do you have as much to sell. Or do you go for broke and sell the AAC tournament? All I know is we need an influx of players, especially pitchers. What is the best scenario to get recruits to consider us a desirable option as we had for so many years?
I don't see any kind of appreciable difference recruiting wise from going 1-2 vs 0-2. We have some momentum and a success to sell from winning the conference tourney, that will remain regardless of our result in BR.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:22 pm
randymc wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:07 pm you can buy tickets via the Oregon St. website but the big CAVEAT is that you are only buying for games that Oregon State takes part in. They are not selling tourney booklets. And you have to pick up your tickets in person with photo ID at Alex Box stadium on game days. whopping fees attached ... A $15 face value ticket has a $4 service charge attached plus a $10 extra service charge for stadium pick by by you the ticket owner. Total cost for each game $29. Your credit card is charged each time Oregon State plays. So, if they go 2 and q total cost is $58.
link:
As soon as the Bayou Bungles are eliminated, there will be lots of tix available from their bandwagon fans.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Roller wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:56 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:22 pm
link:
As soon as the Bayou Bungles are eliminated, there will be lots of tix available from their bandwagon fans.
Yes Roller, lead us to regional champs!!! Way to go.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Lots of people showing their stripes.

Lots of people holding to their “insider” status for a program that chronically underperformed with a coach and players who choked in big moments.

Time to ride this out or go away. Best Tulane athletic season in years — and they run for the hills.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

LawGreenie wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:22 pm Lots of people showing their stripes.

Lots of people holding to their “insider” status for a program that chronically underperformed with a coach and players who choked in big moments.

Time to ride this out or go away. Best Tulane athletic season in years — and they run for the hills.
Those people mostly left once Dickson was out, and Dannen and Fritz hired.
This was the greatest football season in 70 years. The athletic season, otherwise, was nothing special. But football is king and, therefore, a great athletics season.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Find for me a better result in football, basketball, and baseball since 2005. I’ll hang up and listen.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

1309th WAVE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:40 pm
wavedom wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:52 pm
One would think, but we're not a typical 4 seed for... many reasons. Tulane's presence here is hard to model because there's no precedent for this. This was a black swan event, defying every expectation in ways we've said over and over. Every time I examine Tulane's AAC title run again some other freaky outlier jumps out at me.

I will probably die before ever understanding it even halfway.

It's nice to have fun with this again.
I hear ya but I seriously doubt LSU is going to stray from their precedent here. That's to our advantage. Hope we make the most of it.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Well you have to admit we did have some uncomfortable heartburn like 30 point loss to UH and 40 point loss to UM in season turning point games and well the first four months of the baseball season. But portal recruiting in MBB and the last week of baseball has improved our well being dramatically. Yes this was best football season in decades with better potentially ahead of us. We were only G5 to win its Access Bowl that kept its coach.

So in short, it’s a great time to be green
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Bay, well said
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

LawGreenie wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:49 pm Find for me a better result in football, basketball, and baseball since 2005. I’ll hang up and listen.
I don't judge success by the low bar of the Dickson/post Katrina era (however one wishes to view it).
But football speaks for itself.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

1309th WAVE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:40 pm we're not a typical 4 seed
Say it again.
This team is sooo not intimidated by Da box. Been dere done dat. No other #4 will be put in an as comfortable situation as tiggie-land.
And lsu has sooo much to lose.
I see a blow out either way.
Yes I said it: TU gets lsu’s #2 and wins 14-5. Or not.
This is as good a scenario as Tulane USC just a few months ago.
double d
Coach Level

Unread post by double d »

tjtlja wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:20 pm Just looking at this thread, only 15 people have commented on the regional this weekend. Far cry from the old days. Hopefully interest picks up as the weekend approaches.
I haven’t gone to a game in probably 5 years, watched a few on the internet. The overall play has been so bad I’ve just lost interest. That said it would be great to beat LSwho Friday.

Oh and there is no chance of them starting Skenes; they never throw their ace at the 4 seed.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

double d wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:26 pm
tjtlja wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:20 pm Just looking at this thread, only 15 people have commented on the regional this weekend. Far cry from the old days. Hopefully interest picks up as the weekend approaches.
I haven’t gone to a game in probably 5 years, watched a few on the internet. The overall play has been so bad I’ve just lost interest. That said it would be great to beat LSwho Friday.

Oh and there is no chance of them starting Skenes; they never throw their ace at the 4 seed.
Haven't seen you in a while here.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Obviously a regional is hosted by a school and they want the place to be full, but not to have an allotment of tickets for Tulane seems absurd. How does the NCAA not at least mandate a minimum amount of tickets for visitors?

What was our ticket policy towards UCF for the AAC football title game?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

NJwave wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:55 pm Obviously a regional is hosted by a school and they want the place to be full, but not to have an allotment of tickets for Tulane seems absurd. How does the NCAA not at least mandate a minimum amount of tickets for visitors?

What was our ticket policy towards UCF for the AAC football title game?
I'm sure there's an allotment. It's an NCAA event, they would mandate visitors get x number of tickets. The email from Tulane says "Tulane Athletics does not have any tickets available for sale for this event" not that we didn't get any.